The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jacob Markstrom | #25 | G

Honeydew

Markstrom needs to go.  This is the worst goaltender I have seen in a Vancouver Canucks uniform since Anders Nilsson.

These guys will not take the team anywhere.  No stealing games, soft, absolutely ridiculous goals at critical times, in many cases costing us wins.  

What we have is two backup goaltenders competing to be the third goaltender.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Bavel_Pure said:

Markstrom needs to go.  This is the worst goaltender I have seen in a Vancouver Canucks uniform since Anders Nilsson.

These guys will not take the team anywhere.  No stealing games, soft, absolutely ridiculous goals at critical times, in many cases costing us wins.  

Is Demko ready for next season?  

1 hour ago, Bavel_Pure said:

This season wasn’t all about winning anyway. No big deal. They’re competing to be Demko’s backup B)

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2017 at 10:25 PM, DeNiro said:

He needs to learn how to bounce back after bad games.

At this point in time, I'd be happy if he showed signs of being able to bounce back from bad goals, let alone bad games.  Don't get me wrong, I'm in Marky's corner and support sticking with him through this tough phase, but those softies are literally sinking this team's season sadly. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

At this point in time, I'd be happy if he showed signs of being able to bounce back from bad goals, let alone bad games.  Don't get me wrong, I'm in Marky's corner and support sticking with him through this tough phase, but those softies are literally sinking this team's season sadly. 

So true.  It must be very demoralizing for a team that struggle to score to have their goalies let in softies.  

• Upvote 1

Let's face it guys... we don't have good goaltenders.  Both have very high athletic ability, both are big guys, and both more or less technically sound.  But the league is getting faster and more skilled, and while they are capable of making good saves, neither are able to do so consistently.  In fact, neither have EVER been able to do so consistently.  I don't entirely blame them though; it's not like our team as a whole is a defensive juggernaut either, and if it wasn't for Tanev we've be at the bottom of the league in that regard.

But I'm not really worried.  We are overpaying for Marky for sure, but there are only two seasons after this one and that actually fits ok with when we are going to really need that cap space.  Next year we won't and perhaps not even the year after that.  Presumably by the end of those two years Demko will be our #1 with at least a full year (or perhaps two) as backup, and Markstrom can re-sign as our backup for half of his current contract.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, kloubek said:

Let's face it guys... we don't have good goaltenders.  Both have very high athletic ability, both are big guys, and both more or less technically sound.  But the league is getting faster and more skilled, and while they are capable of making good saves, neither are able to do so consistently.  In fact, neither have EVER been able to do so consistently.  I don't entirely blame them though; it's not like our team as a whole is a defensive juggernaut either, and if it wasn't for Tanev we've be at the bottom of the league in that regard.

But I'm not really worried.  We are overpaying for Marky for sure, but there are only two seasons after this one and that actually fits ok with when we are going to really need that cap space.  Next year we won't and perhaps not even the year after that.  Presumably by the end of those two years Demko will be our #1 with at least a full year (or perhaps two) as backup, and Markstrom can re-sign as our backup for half of his current contract.

Our goal tending is 'ok'. And no, Nielsson isn't 'athletic'. They're almost polar opposites in their goal tending styles. Marky is 'athletic' and plays off reacting etc. Nielsson's game is largely about positioning. They're both big though!

Marky is a solid '1B' and Nielsson is a decent '2A'. People expect far too much from that especially with a MASH unit playing in front of them the last couple months. I honestly don't understand people's expectations on here.

And we're not overpaying Marky at all. He and Nielsson together are basically making what a good, top 15 starter would be making.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Our goal tending is 'ok'. And no, Nielsson isn't 'athletic'. They're almost polar opposites in their goal tending styles. Marky is 'athletic' and plays off reacting etc. Nielsson's game is largely about positioning. They're both big though!

Marky is a solid '1B' and Nielsson is a decent '2A'. People expect far too much from that especially with a MASH unit playing in front of them the last couple months. I honestly don't understand people's expectations on here.

And we're not overpaying Marky at all. He and Nielsson together are basically making what a good, top 15 starter would be making.

Ok - I concede your first point.  Nielsson's game certainly is about positioning... though he moves well for a big man.

I disagree about your assessments/grades though. Without predicting the future and solely going by their performance in the NHL so far, I wouldn't say either look to be starting goaltenders to me. Both decent backups, imo.  So therein lies our difference in opinion on salary - whereby you expect to be paying Marky a #1 salary whereas I don't believe he plays at a #1 level.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Ok - I concede your first point.  Nielsson's game certainly is about positioning... though he moves well for a big man.

I disagree about your assessments/grades though. Without predicting the future and solely going by their performance in the NHL so far, I wouldn't say either look to be starting goaltenders to me. Both decent backups, imo.  So therein lies our difference in opinion on salary - whereby you expect to be paying Marky a #1 salary whereas I don't believe he plays at a #1 level.

*1B

Coincidentally, right around where he's being paid.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*1B

Coincidentally, right around where he's being paid.

Again, I guess that depends on where you rate a "b" level player.  To me, a 1b means a goalie who has low #1 goalie performance.  So, not an ideal starter but still capable of it, still largely effective, and good enough to be mentioned in a conversation regarding number one goalies as opposed to backup goalies.

The Canucks are about mid-pack in shots against, so without considering quality of shots (and watching the play I can't say I believe we let opposing players get excessive quality shots) that bodes well for a baseline with which to compare Markstrom's stats.  What additionally bodes well for the sake of analytics is that Markstom's stats this season are very, very similar to his career stats - which will speak to the consistency of his annual play.  Markstrom holds a record this season of 2.72, and .909.  (His career stats are 2.86 and .906).  Pretty darn close when evened out.

Of all goaltenders who have played a dozen or more games this season, his gaa this season ranks as 41st and his his save % ranks 36th.  Assuming 30 teams all with #1 goalies and all with backup goalies, his gaa ranks slightly above midpack of backups, and his save % relatively high among backups.  This is NOT #1 goalie performance - either in his career nor this season.  This puts him in about the top 1/3rd or so of BACKUP goalies.

So I'm sorry, but the stats don't support your claim he is a #1 goalie - either a, b, or c.  His stats suggest he is clearly a backup - although he is better than most in that capacity. And to me, 4 million a year is not a reasonable price for a backup.  Even a good one.

I do wonder though - where are your stats that suggest he is a #1 goalie... or is that just your overall "impression"?  

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Again, I guess that depends on where you rate a "b" level player.  To me, a 1b means a goalie who has low #1 goalie performance.  So, not an ideal starter but still capable of it, still largely effective, and good enough to be mentioned in a conversation regarding number one goalies as opposed to backup goalies.

The Canucks are about mid-pack in shots against, so without considering quality of shots (and watching the play I can't say I believe we let opposing players get excessive quality shots) that bodes well for a baseline with which to compare Markstrom's stats.  What additionally bodes well for the sake of analytics is that Markstom's stats this season are very, very similar to his career stats - which will speak to the consistency of his annual play.  Markstrom holds a record this season of 2.72, and .909.  (His career stats are 2.86 and .906).  Pretty darn close when evened out.

Of all goaltenders who have played a dozen or more games this season, his gaa this season ranks as 41st and his his save % ranks 36th.  Assuming 30 teams all with #1 goalies and all with backup goalies, his gaa ranks slightly above midpack of backups, and his save % relatively high among backups.  This is NOT #1 goalie performance - either in his career nor this season.  This puts him in about the top 1/3rd or so of BACKUP goalies.

So I'm sorry, but the stats don't support your claim he is a #1 goalie - either a, b, or c.  His stats suggest he is clearly a backup - although he is better than most in that capacity. And to me, 4 million a year is not a reasonable price for a backup.  Even a good one.

I do wonder though - where are your stats that suggest he is a #1 goalie... or is that just your overall "impression"?  

And yet, when we had a better team in from of him before injuries struck...

On 11/24/2017 at 11:33 AM, Bigturk8 said:

Acknowledging and analyzing the NHL’s top five goalies this season

After breaking down the top forward lines and defence pairings so far this season, the natural next step is to look at which goaltenders have been the biggest difference makers for their teams.

Unfortunately with goalies there just isn’t the same variety of statistics to evaluate their play that exist for skaters, so it’s a lot tougher to come to a conclusion about total value, especially in small sample sizes.

In the end I decided that sticking to 5-on-5 play made sense once again, because save percentage on special teams is highly unreliable in small samples. In order to qualify, goaltenders had to start at least 10 games this season and I wanted to look at not just overall performance, but signs that the performance is sustainable, and how much the goaltenders themselves are contributing to the shot quality they face.

With that in mind, here’s what I came up with as the top goaltenders through one quarter of the NHL season.

Best-Goalies.png

Be aware that in order to increase the contrast in these big numbers I started the y-axis (vertical) at 30 per cent.

Over the past several years of NHL hockey, we know that future overall save percentage is normally best predicted by how well goalies are stopping pucks in the high danger area, or inner slot. So far this season, Mike Smith is leading everyone there by a wide margin, turning away 90.7 per cent of the high danger chances he faces, which is more than 13 percentage points better than league average.

An interesting note on Smith’s high danger save percentage being the highest of this group: his outer slot save percentage is the lowest for him personally and below league average. That’s an odd outlier. Smith gives up rebounds on 62 per cent of the shots he faces, but those rebounds are recovered by his teammates or himself 87.5 per cent of the time.

Smith has a relatively high percentage of his rebounds that wind up in the inner slot area, but 98.6 per cent of those rebounds are either recovered by his teammates or smothered by Smith before opponents get a chance to get on the puck, so it hasn’t burned him yet.

Sergei Bobrovsky, last season’s Vezina winner, leads the NHL in even strength save percentage again, and is third in high danger save percentage while posting stronger save rates in the high slot than Smith. Bobrovsky has been a bit of a mess with rebounds though.

A whopping 71 per cent of the shots Bobrovsky faces result in rebounds, and 39 per cent of those end up in the inner slot. The Blue Jackets also recover fewer of Bob’s rebounds than league average teams do, making things tougher on him as he faces more second chances than other goalies.

That hasn’t burned him yet, but the question for Bobrovsky is whether you credit him for the extra saves or punish him for being the creator of his own increased difficulty? In a small sample size, it’s tough to say which is more important. If by the end of the season Bobrovsky still leads the NHL in even strength save percentage, you just have to tip your hat to him.

Braden Holtby puts up strong numbers across the board, and he doesn’t give up many rebounds either, with only 59 per cent of the shots he faces ending up out of his immediate control. The Capitals also recover among the highest percentage of rebounds in the NHL at 90.7 per cent – and they recover 97.5 per cent of Holtby’s rebounds into the high danger area.

Holtby has the easiest workload of this elite group, but you have to give him credit for helping to ease that by keeping second chances to a minimum.

Corey Crawford remains one of the most consistent even strength goaltenders in the NHL, posting strong save percentages and allowing the lowest percentage of rebounds to the inner slot of anyone.

The Blackhawks don’t recover Crawford’s rebounds at as high a rate as other teams, but Crawford’s own work in the high danger area leads to 97.8 per cent of those high danger rebounds being recovered.

Arguably the most surprising goaltender on this list is Jacob Markstrom, who used to be the ‘Next Great Goalie’ prospect for years, only to flounder in the NHL until this season when he’s been brilliant at even strength for an equally surprising Vancouver Canucks team.

Markstrom boasts the second-best high danger save percentage in the NHL, strong numbers in the high slot, and has the lowest percentage of shots faced that turn into rebounds at just 57 per cent.

Of those rebounds, Markstrom is tied with Crawford for the lowest percentage of them ending up in the high danger area at just 31.7 per cent. Markstrom’s teammates have done a great job recovering the very few rebounds he actually allows, too.

I think you could make a legitimately strong argument for any of Smith, Bobrovsky, and Markstrom as the top-three goalies this season. Whether those will be the same names up for the Vezina at the end of the year, though, is anyone’s guess.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/acknowledging-analyzing-nhls-top-five-goalies-season/

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

With the game tonight, Markstrom's save percentage is now at .911, higher than last year's of .910. Still lower than the .915 he had two years back, but hey, it's something.

Positivity during tank season? Way to lead by example, sir!

19 minutes ago, Guile said:

Positivity during tank season? Way to lead by example, sir!

It keeps me going. I actually enjoy the challenge of trying to find bright spots after bad games.

On 2018-03-14 at 10:00 PM, -AJ- said:

With the game tonight, Markstrom's save percentage is now at .911, higher than last year's of .910. Still lower than the .915 he had two years back, but hey, it's something.

Goalie's only as good as the team in front of him and a team's only as good as the goalie behind them.

Markstrom's a good 1B but he's certainly not capable of putting Leipsic on the pig of a team in front of him alone. 

Edited by aGENT

I feel for both our goalies.  Without Tanev there is no doubt that this is the worst D-core in the league.  However was having a discussion with my buddy, I told him Marky has let in at least 7 goals from behind the net this year and he said no way.  What do you think? 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been noticing that Marky's save percentage has snuck up a little bit. Sure enough, in the month of March, Markstrom has a .923 save percentage so far. Although he still lacks consistency, it's good to see some improvement at least. Last year he had a .910 save percentage as a backup and this year, he's at .912 so far as the starter. Not great numbers, but it's an improvement at least.

• Upvote 1