The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack offers his opinion on Roberto Luongo

Completely agree. Everyone can call me an idiot but I'd rather the Canucks just miss the playoffs than intentionally lose to get a higher draft pick. If teams start to lose on purpose what is the point in playing….No integrity whatsoever!

You're just a better fan than everyone wanting a good draft pick in an injury-plagued year with no hope of making the playoffs, aren't you?

Or maybe people like me are better fans because we are more realistic and want the best chance at rebuilding this team as fast as possible?

\_(o_O)_/ ?

Fans that want the team to tank are probably the worst fans out there...

No team intentionally loses a hockey game... Anyone who has played in sports knows you got out there and try to win every single game you can.

Amen brother. Anyone with a competitive bone in their body could never ever consider this...

I'm glad Eddie's keeping things light and in check. Really liking how composed he is.

We're all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs anyway. Do you guys really think it's better for this team's longterm competitiveness to win meaningless games down the stretch than to get one of the only 5 truly decent players in this draft?!

I guess if your goal is to squeak into 8th every year then I guess you might call that competing but let's not pretend like this team would've gotten even a sniff at a playoff spot in 2010/2011, let alone a Stanley Cup, had we drafted outside of the top-3 in 1999.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftsearch.htm?year=1999&team=&position=&round=

So what is the goal you want this team competing for, 8th spot or Stanley Cups?

Everyone knows (or ought to know) that championships are won through the draft. It's the bloodline. Everyone knows that there are also cycles in pro sports and unless you "luck out" and draft guys like Lidstrom, Datsyuk & Zetterberg with late round picks you're going to have to do what most teams do, tank (one way or another). If this team doesn't start the cycle soon, and it can be argued that it's three summers too late (ie, the Philadelphia model post 2010 Cup loss), this will be an even longer rebuild than Alberta's.

Why prolong the inevitable? Either way we're not really competitive at the moment anyway. Let's start this cycle already.

Yeah,it seems the braintrust is ensuring both.

#1 goalie gone.

#1/2 center man on the block.

No secondary scoring traded for (note ghjffbali's post above).

No winger for Kes (as Gillis promised just weeks before).

No D man that can lead this rag-tag bunch up the ice and anchor a PP.

Nada.

Fore!

This team's core is too old to truly win a Cup without a massive infusion of youth like SJS got with Pavelski, Couture and Hertl. Admittedly, we had something that was a step below Couture's level in Hodgson (his defensive game will never be as solid as Couture's, imo) but that was it. Jensen is coming on but by the time him and Kassian start producing wins the Sedins will be 35+ and slower than ever.

Hindsight shows Gillis blew it in 2011 (when we had one of the best statistical seasons in NHL history, Jennings Trophy, best PK best PP) by not mortgaging Schneider & Hodgson at that deadline instead and here we are without a Cup but what are you gonna do? It looked as though we didn't need anything else...

I know it makes logical sense to go for a higher pick if you're going to miss the playoffs anyway, but I'm just not wired that way.

Play your posteriors off every night, leave nothing on the ice and let the chips fall where they may. Maybe it costs you a couple of spots on draft day, but what you gain in self respect will more than compensate, IMHO.

I've been a Canuck fan since day 1, but I can honestly say that I would find it difficult to cheer for a team that deliberately tanked, just to improve their draft prospects.

This team's core is too old to truly win a Cup without a massive infusion of youth.

Admittedly, we had something that was a step below Couture's level in Hodgson ....

Hindsight shows Gillis blew it in 2011...

It looked as though we didn't need anything else...

I agree with everything except the last sentence.

It was clear that the team had lost a step when Hodgson was dealt for a future prospect.

I believe inexperienced arrogance facilitated the decline we have witnessed in the last 2 years.

Fans that want the team to tank are probably the worst fans out there...No team intentionally loses a hockey game... Anyone who has played in sports knows you got out there and try to win every single game you can.

Lol, way to blow up what I was saying. Canucks are virtually out of playoffs and yea they can play hard and try winning, but I'd personally want a higher pick at this point and seeing how they've been playing, they play hard and lose so it's a win-win. They give a good effort and get a better chance at a better player.

Or maybe people like me are better fans because we are more realistic and want the best chance at rebuilding this team as fast as possible?

We're all but mathematically eliminated from the playoffs anyway. Do you guys really think it's better for this team's longterm competitiveness to win meaningless games down the stretch than to get one of the only 5 truly decent players in this draft?!

I guess if your goal is to squeak into 8th every year then I guess you might call that competing but let's not pretend like this team would've gotten even a sniff at a playoff spot in 2010/2011, let alone a Stanley Cup, had we drafted outside of the top-3 in 1999.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftsearch.htm?year=1999&team=&position=&round=

So what is the goal you want this team competing for, 8th spot or Stanley Cups?

Everyone knows (or ought to know) that championships are won through the draft. It's the bloodline. Everyone knows that there are also cycles in pro sports and unless you "luck out" and draft guys like Lidstrom, Datsyuk & Zetterberg with late round picks you're going to have to do what most teams do, tank (one way or another). If this team doesn't start the cycle soon, and it can be argued that it's three summers too late (ie, the Philadelphia model post 2010 Cup loss), this will be an even longer rebuild than Alberta's.

Why prolong the inevitable? Either way we're not really competitive at the moment anyway. Let's start this cycle already.

Exactly. Guy that quoted me and replied, fair you have your opinion and I appreciate it but don't portray me as a bandwagon fan or a unfaithful fan cause I'm not; been a fan since I was a toddler and always support this team.

Yes we all we want the team to win but at this point, they really can't...and how do you fix that? Drafting. It's the key to success in the NHL and ask all the previous Cup winners. Sorry, I know you like the team as much as I do but as of now, looking at where this team is, the draft is the way to go for now.

Fans that want the team to tank are probably the worst fans out there...

No team intentionally loses a hockey game... Anyone who has played in sports knows you got out there and try to win every single game you can.

The worst fans ever? Do you hear yourself? You're not a player. Try to figure it out.

Don't you nancies ever get tired of derailing every thread into stat wars and bitching about the team? Go outside get some fresh air, and give your head a shake.

Your positive input and presence is noted.

I did two hours of gardening this morning before the heat here in Bali started turning my arms into an itching, red,swollen mass.

Some of us come inside to give our heads a shake.

Which brings me back to your stellar contribution to the board.

Archived