The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack offers his opinion on Roberto Luongo

Rather not and take a hit in standings for a higher pick lol

Fans that want the team to tank are probably the worst fans out there...

No team intentionally loses a hockey game... Anyone who has played in sports knows you got out there and try to win every single game you can.

No team intentionally loses a hockey game... Anyone who has played in sports knows you got out there and try to win every single game you can.

At this point odds are severely against us, wouldn't you prefer a higher pick anyways?

The team is doing a good job of doing that without even trying to suck, all the fans are saying is stay the course and focus on a rebuild. They simply aren't good enough to win even if they try, couldn't you see that this week? IF this team was REALLY serious about making the playoffs they would have just dumped a 2nd round pick and something else for Vanek because all it took to get him was a CONDITIONAL 2nd rounder XD and a throw-in prospect. It wouldn't have taken much more to get a player this deadline. Look at management's actions, they scream tanking for a pick. You don't even entertain the thought of trading Kesler if you really thought you had a chance of making the playoffs.

Also saying that fans who want a rebuild are horrible is pathetic. They care just as much about this team as you, but they aren't as foolish and can see the writing on the wall regarding this group. We've seen this movie before in other markets with aging players who can't get it done anymore.

Amen brother. Anyone with a competitive bone in their body could never ever consider this...

I'm glad Eddie's keeping things light and in check. Really liking how composed he is.

Players don't tank. Front offices tank.

It's considered a strategy because the system is broken and does not favor teams that finish in the middle of the pack. Despite people acting like it is some insane theory with no backing leagues are starting to admit that it happens and talks have started in other leagues most notably the NBA where the commish has already said he is considering changing the draft system to avoid it.

I don't get why some people get so offended when they see someone preferring the team to lose to get a higher pick. They aren't rooting against the team they are simply thinking ahead and see that as the most progressive option. What's so bad about wanting the change to add someone like Toews, Backstrom, or Kessel instead of someone like Frolik, Bernier, or Little? (Picks from the 2006 draft in top 5 compared to #10-12

Completely agree. Everyone can call me an idiot but I'd rather the Canucks just miss the playoffs than intentionally lose to get a higher draft pick. If teams start to lose on purpose what is the point in playing….No integrity whatsoever!

Actually, a higher pick is the best thing for the team in the long run..

Unless you expect them to go on a 12-1 run..

Completely agree. Everyone can call me an idiot but I'd rather the Canucks just miss the playoffs than intentionally lose to get a higher draft pick.

Yeah,it seems the braintrust is ensuring both.

#1 goalie gone.

#1/2 center man on the block.

No secondary scoring traded for (note ghjffbali's post above).

No winger for Kes (as Gillis promised just weeks before).

No D man that can lead this rag-tag bunch up the ice and anchor a PP.

Nada.

Fore!

I don't want the team to deliberately tank... but I have to admit that at this stage, watching them put in a solid effort and fall short (caps game) doesn't sting as much as it did in January. It certainly didn't feel good, but it didn't feel nearly as bad knowing that it potentially brings a better draft pick a little closer.

Don't think that makes me a bad fan though. I want what's best for the team and I won't stop supporting them... but it's hard to deny that as this season draws closer to the end, "what's good for the team" is becoming very grey. I'll cheer for them to win, and if they somehow make the playoffs I will be happy - but I'm not blind to the silver lining in losing at this stage either... especially if the team salvages at least some pride internally by going down with a fight.

Archived