The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks not out yet

Canuckseeesh

People dream the dream but this season is toast. Played crap hockey for all of Jan and Feb. However if you want to see the nucks for relatively cheap tickets now is the time.

Actually tickets are still going at cost on Craigslist, ie. people are still paying the 5th highest prices in the league to see the 20th ranked team. But this is Canada and hockey is king, which is why other "elite" franchises like Toronto, Edmonton and Winnipeg fill up there stadiums and charge the 1st, 3rd and 4th highest tickets respectively. Of course, there's Chicago with the 2nd highest ticket prices, but what have they ever done for their fans, except win a couple of cups.

So when could the nail in the coffin come? Lose to both Minnesota and Colorado in regulation or go 1-1 and Phoenix wins a few in a row?

Or win both and have Phoenix lose to New Jersey and suddenly we're 2 points back and right back in it.

The next two games will pretty much decide which direction we go I think.

I read through some of the posts here, thanks for the laugh. For anyone to think this team is a ligitimate contender is smoking something. They had a couple of wins from teams they should beat, big deal. Like they did earlier in the season just wait till they go on the road and have to play a few contending teams. The best they will do is .500. I have watch the Canucks from day one and I am sorry to say again that after 44 seasons it will be "wait till next season" at the end of this season.

Thanks for the update...

When the Canucks were top of the league, it wasn't because of their division, they were dominating everyone they played against. They didn't lose more than 2 times in a row in 2010/2011 I believe.

But the cumulative effect is important to consider by playing in a weak division they were able to pad their stats and have nights where they knew they would win easily against teams like Colorado, Edmonton, Calgary, the only team that gave them trouble at times was the Wild.

That allowed them not to have to exert themselves night in and night out and save energy for when they had to play the good teams on their schedule.

In this conference alignment specifically the pacific division there are no more easy games. Combine that with added minutes on top guys in a compressed schedule and injuries have taken a toll.

Ghostie

Hansen has 19 pts and is minus 7 this year. Next year he goes from 1.35m to 2.5 m in salary. He is 11th in scoring on the team and has had a very underwhelming season.

All good reasons to look at moving him to make room for new blood.

Cheers.

A lot of players have had awful numbers this season. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

He's also tied 4th on the team in goals. Same number as Matthias, and Kassian. Kassian is a -6. And he has one more goal than

Henrik Sedin. Higgins and Kesler are -14. We're not talking Booth level salary here.

A lot of players have had awful numbers this season. You don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

He's also tied 4th on the team in goals. Same number as Matthias, and Kassian. Kassian is a -6. And he has one more goal than

Henrik Sedin. Higgins and Kesler are -14. We're not talking Booth level salary here.

I don't mind what Hansen brings to the team, but if I had to choose which bottom 9 forward to replace with youth next year it would probably be him. He doesn't put up (or have the potential to put up) big enough numbers for the top six and he's not physically big enough for a bottom six role. I can't help but pull for the guy though, seems so damn likeable.

When the Canucks were top of the league, it wasn't because of their division, they were dominating everyone they played against. They didn't lose more than 2 times in a row in 2010/2011 I believe.

Yes but we are talking about three years ago. The Sedins were in their prime. Daniel was scoring 30 goals a season. Kesler was hitting 40.

What MG didn't grasp is the fact that players do decline. He gave Daniel Sedin a 4 yr 7mil contract when it was clear that he hasn't been the same since the Keith hit.

The Canucks is a business, Gillis has to run it like a business. He better hope and pray that the Sedins(not so worried about Hank as he's purely a set up man) hit the ground running next season else Gillis will be fired during it.

But the cumulative effect is important to consider by playing in a weak division they were able to pad their stats and have nights where they knew they would win easily against teams like Colorado, Edmonton, Calgary, the only team that gave them trouble at times was the Wild.

This **** again? The decline is easy to trace from 2010 onwards. Every year they got a little bit worse.

Although the chances of the Canucks making the playoffs are slim, there is still a chance until we are mathematically eliminated. Nobody thought our team back in 82 had what it would take to make it through the first round, and look what happened? NOBODY imagined what that team was about to pull off through that run. If our boys can pull a miracle out and make the final spot, anything is possible. The regular season means s*** all and a new one begins on April 16th.

Seat belts on this bandwagon are still and always will be firmly fastened.

Archived