The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Leafs Choking Again

Jiggs50

I don't hate the Leafs or their fans so no I don't love this. I feel bad for their fans. I mean we wont make the playoffs either but at least we had some warning, they lost 8 straight and fell from 3rd in the East... Thats gotta be hard on the fans.

Its tough not to feel for the fans, but I cant help but cheer when the Leafs/Raptors/Blue Jays get trounced because of that vibe I get from TSN or CBC... they are so completely self-absorbed its repulsive.

You just get these terrible impressions from time to time as well, like the way Torontonians would happily screw the CFL so they could have an NFL team that they probably wouldnt even care about after a while.

Don't kid yourself. TO takes 4 out of the remaining 5 and gets either 7th or 8th.

And they're built for the playoffs so watch out for whomever plays them.

I thought teams that had good defence and forwards that don't disappear in the playoffs were build for the playoffs...

Don't kid yourself. TO takes 4 out of the remaining 5 and gets either 7th or 8th.

Um... I hope you're joking? Even if the leafs win 4 of their last 5 (highly unlikely), they'll still only have 90 points. If Detroit wins at least 3 of their last 7 and Columbus wins at least 4 of their last 7, Toronto is out.

Even if one of the above doesn't happen, even Washington has a chance at getting in ahead of Toronto, they're only one point behind with 1 game in hand.

If Ottawa, NJ and Washington win their games in hand, the Leafs could find themselves in 12th place, so pencilling them into the playoffs at this point is no more likely than finishing in their usual range around 12th - where they belong - and which probably flatters their horrible puck possession game.

Next year could get even uglier.

To be built for the playoffs you have to make the playoffs.

It looks like Toronto took that for granted.

If they were to manage to slip into 8th spot, they get themselves a rematch with Boston, a matchup that I doubt goes quite so well this time around. Choking in game 7 would be another massive overachievement.

My money is on Boston slamming that door in their face on Thursday.

If Ottawa, NJ and Washington win their games in hand, the Leafs could find themselves in 12th place, so pencilling them into the playoffs at this point is no more likely than finishing in their usual range around 12th - where they belong - and which probably flatters their horrible puck possession game.

Next year could get even uglier.

To be built for the playoffs you have to make the playoffs.

It looks like Toronto took that for granted.

If they were to manage to slip into 8th spot, they get themselves a rematch with Boston, a matchup that I doubt goes quite so well this time around. Choking in game 7 would be another massive overachievement.

My money is on Boston slamming that door in their face on Thursday.

As much as people hate the leafs they definitely don't belong there. I was actually expecting them to do well cause of their forward depth. Unfortunately the goalies covering their defensive mistakes could not last forever and I believe that's what cost them their spot.

Haha, you're funny. Like actually funny. If I didn't only visit this forum on my phone I'd sig this. Good stuff. 2 thumbs up.

LOL, laffs won't be catching Detroit, so they will have to try for 8th.

Agreed.

Their only chance is Columbus who have 2 games in hand and who aren't the Leafs.

Leafs should be the odd team out... except for Columbus having PHI, CHI, NYI, PHX, DAL, TBL and FLA in their future, whereas the Leafs have BOS, WPG, TBL, FLA, and OTT as their remaining schedule.

Columbus 7 games vs the Leafs 5 but Columbus with the tougher road.

The Leafs will find out tonight if they're up for the challenge.

They'll get Boston on the second of a travelling back to back.

Downside is that Boston will be in a foul mood after giving up a third period lead and losing in regulation to Detroit.

TO may get in afterall because while CBJ's schedule has 2 extra games in it, it's a bit tougher. TO faces 5 teams who will have no desperate interest in winning their games unless it's just to upset TO. That being said, a highlight of Ottawa's season might be the final game where they eliminate TO. TO has gone unbeaten against them this season so far.

I still think the league wants John Davidson's Jackets in the playoffs though, so it will be fairly tough for Nonis' TO team.

While the Canucks have been on the decline, TO has been on the rise. Likely bigger axes will fall in TO than here if they miss the playoffs.

TO may get in afterall because while CBJ's schedule has 2 extra games in it, it's a bit tougher. TO faces 5 teams who will have no desperate interest in winning their games unless it's just to upset TO. That being said, a highlight of Ottawa's season might be the final game where they eliminate TO. TO has gone unbeaten against them this season so far.

I still think the league wants John Davidson's Jackets in the playoffs though, so it will be fairly tough for Nonis' TO team.

While the Canucks have been on the decline, TO has been on the rise. Likely bigger axes will fall in TO than here if they miss the playoffs.

New jesey face washington, carolina, calgary, ottawa, NYI, boston. I's say they could get past Toronto

Archived