The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hodgson bumped of top 6 centre minutes by Ennis and Girgensons

www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sabres-cody-hodgson-happy-with-move-to-wing/

BUFFALO Ted Nolan doesnt want to project his lineup too far into the future. But the Sabres coach said he must evaluate his top six forwards these last two weeks so they receive enough ice time next season.

If Tyler Ennis and Zemgus Girgensons are his top centers, where does that leave Cody Hodgson?

For the time being, on the left wing, a position Hodgson had played once in his career before Saturday, during a 2008 exhibition game.

"I dont think I was very good at it, Hodgson joked prior Tuesday prior to the Sabres 3-2 shootout win against the New Jersey Devils inside the First Niagara Center.

Hodgson, the Sabres No. 1 center much of the season, said he likes the move. Hes been playing beside Girgensons and Brian Flynn.

Nolan told Hodgson moving would allow you to get some different opportunities, different looks.

Its worked out great, exactly what he said, Hodgson said.

Hodgson ended an 11-game goal drought in his first appearance at left wing, tipping Christian Ehrhoffs shot in front of the net. Nolan said following the 4-3 overtime loss to Tampa Bay it was possibly Hodgsons best game since he took over in mid-November.

"We want to see where he best fits with the team moving forward, Nolan said about Hodgson. Maybe hes a better winger. Also, you have to get him with the right people, get him the puck because once Cody has the puck within a certain footage of that net, he has a good chance of putting it in.

"Hes not known for his great defense, and we dont want him to play great defense. We want him to score offensively. But you have to be reliable defensively. One thing about the wing position, its not as complicated as playing center ice.

Whats different about playing on the side?

I think it allows you to get a little more speed away from the puck, said Hodgson, who played right wing briefly recently. As a centerman, you kind of always got to be around it and controlled. Wing, you can take off and get going before the puck comes to you a little bit.

Nolan, who discussed moving Hodgson with Sabres general manager Tim Murray, said the line has hit it off.

"Theyre all good skaters, he said. They back the defense a little bit up with their speed. Hes an offensive threat once people get him the puck. We need some people getting him the puck. Last game I thought they complimented each other well.

Know a few hardcore Sabres fans and they say they're happy with the move Nolan made. Say Hodgson wasn't succeeding at the rate they expected when he was the 1st line centre and his defense is porous. Also, say his skating isn't the greatest too but one thing (and seems the only thing) he's good at is in the offensive zone and only that, thus why Nolan demoted him off the centre position.

...and best game since mid-November!? We thought we had problems lol.

I know i'm going to get flame for this, but did we Draft Cody Hodgson 2.0 with Horvat?

Think about everything we said about Hodgson while in junior, gifted, smart player, plays on the PK, great defensively, great in faceoff, great leader/futur captain.

Not necessarily all going to transfer into the NHL. Being good defensively in junior and NHL is totally a different thing.

Bad trade for both teams, simple. At the time both had so much potential as that's all but gone along with each respective teams chances at a playoff birth.

I'd argue this is a success for Vancouver and Kass has showed he can produce and be a force consistently the past few games. Shows his worth ethic is getting better as his consistency to his game is steadily increasing.

I thought that was inevitable - and that it would suit his game better.

It means he doesn't have to handle opposition forwards down low (he's not really physically capable), it means he doesn't have to play quite a 200 ft game (he's not the best skater), and it means he isn't the primary defensive forward presence on his line (his defensive coverage and awareness is pretty vacant). It also relieves him of faceoff duties where he's still only 46%.

I agree with Nolan that it will allow him to play more to his strengths - and give him more appropriate linemates - a two way center to start would seem essential.

I think this will be a great move for the Sabres and Hodgson.

I know i'm going to get flame for this, but did we Draft Cody Hodgson 2.0 with Horvat?

Think about everything we said about Hodgson while in junior, gifted, smart player, plays on the PK, great defensively, great in faceoff, great leader/futur captain.

Not necessarily all going to transfer into the NHL. Being good defensively in junior and NHL is totally a different thing.

I don't know if that's worth flaming - I'm guessing you'll just get a whole lot of laughs.

CoHo has a far better opportunity in Buffalo and under a coach like Nolan. The youth of the team exposes his weaknesses more than if he was on a stronger team but he can still learn.

Since this is indirectly a trade rehash I still think Van will do very well with Kassian. For all intents he has had a quasi break out year. Could easily reach 30 points while being moved throughout the lineup and missing games. His development has been hampered by two coaches who were struggling to get the Canucks into playoffs. Hopefully the realization will sink in that this roster needs a serious rebuild and that Kassian is a player who can be a big part of it.

I know i'm going to get flame for this, but did we Draft Cody Hodgson 2.0 with Horvat?Think about everything we said about Hodgson while in junior, gifted, smart player, plays on the PK, great defensively, great in faceoff, great leader/futur captain.Not necessarily all going to transfer into the NHL. Being good defensively in junior and NHL is totally a different thing.

No lol. Totally different players with different dynamics to each other's respective game and at their point in each other's careers at age 18, Bos is drastically better than Coho.

Ha ha

Bad trade for both teams, simple. At the time both had so much potential as that's all but gone along with each respective teams chances at a playoff birth.

There's no way of knowing that, at this point. Kassian has been very good for the Canucks, since late December. In fact, I'd say he's been the Canucks second best forward, during that time, behind Kesler. He's showed flashes of brilliance and, if he can put it all together, he'll be a tremendous addition to a top six with little to no toughness (minus Kesler's grittiness).

There is no comparison between Horvat and Hodgson's defensive game. Horvat is probably the best defensive player in the CHL and plays a heavy, gritty game. Hodgson, on the other hand, was better offensively than Horvat (which is why he was a top three ranked prospect for a couple of years). No one ever said he was great defensively... mostly that he was very competent (which was a result of being smart and able to read and react to the junior game well).

They play COMPLETELY different games. If Horvat doesn't become a top six player (I think he'll end up being one of the league's better #2 centres, myself), he'll be an elite defensive #3 guy, similar to peak-Malhotra or J. Staal, when he played on the Pens.

Still think Vigneault should have tried him with Kesler on the 2nd line though.

Still think Vigneault should have tried him with Kesler on the 2nd line though.

Not that I am crazy, but nightly I would scream at the TV for a Hodgson-Kesler-Booth line or a Kesler-Hodgson-Booth line - it is astounding why AV did not try that, but people do stupid things when they come to vancouver, Tortorella behaved allseason then in January did something even more stupid and harmful to the team than anything he did in NY

No lol. Totally different players with different dynamics to each other's respective game and at their point in each other's careers at age 18, Bos is drastically better than Coho.

Not 'drastically' better at age 18, but Coho's injuries early on had a huge impact on his upside.

This causes some concern about Shinkaruk. Hip injury as opposed to back. However he's doing the wise thing and taking the year off.

Meh, Hodgson will still be a key part of their rebuild, no matter how many butt hurt Canuck fans don't wish him well.

Yes, because of his inability to progress as a decent top line player, they're able to tank for the picks they're rebuilding with.

But yeah, the Canucks are going to have to rebuild now as well, but they're behind, so the Sabres will likely win a cup before us.

Archived