The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TORTS Interview

-DLC-

Personally I became anti JT when he freaked out on Hansen. That was totally uncalled for. Hansen has improved every year he has been here and has always been our hardest working player. This was not an anomaly in the way JT thinks. If anything he has to restraint himself so he doesn't do it more often. This team will go nowhere with him. I will be shocked and disappointed if he is still around. There are better choices out there. He has to go. I don't understand how some of you can't see that. He's bloody awful.

"there are better choices" and your short list please....

Personally I became anti JT when he freaked out on Hansen. That was totally uncalled for. Hansen has improved every year he has been here and has always been our hardest working player. This was not an anomaly in the way JT thinks. If anything he has to restraint himself so he doesn't do it more often. This team will go nowhere with him. I will be shocked and disappointed if he is still around. There are better choices out there. He has to go. I don't understand how some of you can't see that. He's bloody awful.

I am a Hansen fan but Hansen was a useless dog on the backcheck that shift and got what he deserved: a wakeup call to skate your ass off.

Torts "freaked" on him because he goofed up hard. Maybe he has since realized that Hansen doesn't respond well to that kind of inspiring conversation, but Hansen knew very well where Torts stood on that particular play.

As 6 string asked... Who are your top 2 replacement coaches? 3 if you want to add a bonus point.

I have said this multiple times and will repeat it again.

Torts is the coach we want to take us through the rebuild. He is an excellent coach. He has to get over the childish yelling and screaming as 18 to 22 year olds dont respond effectively to it.

Gillis is in many ways a great GM but he has to own up to his follies, and roll up his sleeves in the off season. He needs to trade Kesler and Edler to get full worth of futures for them. Same for Hansen, Higgins and others over the age of 27

Sedins Bieksa Burrows and Hamhuis can stay through the rebuild.

Hansen has been pretty awful this year. He had significantly more points in a half year last year than he does this year. So he definitely hasn't gotten better this year, which contradicts your point completely. Would be nice to see a legit list of better options from you or the second bolded part is empty BS.

Notice yet again how Torts went to bat for his GM, refusing to throw any fuel toward Gillis' way via media vipers, by keeping calm and official. Tortorella knows where he stands. He's done everything for this franchise with what he's been given; two race horses, a Ferrari and a whole bunch of Hondas.

Gillis however, could not protect his coach. And I think that's a good thing for Tortorella. This disassociates Tortorella as Gillis' coach. So they are in effect, separate conversations with the Aquilinis.

Tortorella even went on to praise Gillis as a man who turns every stone to get better.

I personally believe that Tortorella is very safe while Gillis has a few adjustments to make in his career, and perhaps, as asked on 1040, Gillis would be better suited as the President of the franchise instead of the GM. I do like Gillis but I believe there are better GMs out there that would be better fit to trade hockey trades with other hockey boys.

Disappointed with Tortorella's interview to be honest.

Sounds a bit too charged up to engage a lot of the questions unfortunately, and the result is to be fairly evasive.

Know the feeling when you're holding back from/repressing yourself from saying what you'd like to, but maybe shouldn't, however, unfortunately, I think it might have served him better to just entertain the questions.

Interview stars with Torts refusing to comment on an "internal" issue.

"A conversation that should be held internally."

Can the team play with a more up tempo style?

"You're digging at the subject that I'd rather talk internally about."

Problem being that this a question about the team's on ice approach to the game. Is the team's tempo of play really an "internal" issue? This is not a locker room dispute, or a rumour about a pending trade, etc. It's a question imo that needs to actually be addressed. This is a hockey market. People want answers and to talk about the on ice style of game that the team is playing. This is part of the visible product, arguably where the team is actually accountable to the fans - as is every single personnel decision that the GM makes subject to intense public scrutiny in the end.

The line regarding becoming conservative after the injuries also concerns me.

"The responsibility that was lost was me in not keeping my foot on the pedal, when we, I had to make an adjustment when we were banged up, I had to, and some of our travel, um but the responsibility falls on me in not again getting back quick enough to the style that I think we should play."

"That's a huge mistake by me. I think we've kind of coralled it little bit too late though."

Was that truly the mistake though?

Can the problem be simply and clearly resolved by "keeping the foot on the pedal". Part of the question people want answered is how sustainable extremely top heavy minutes are. Keeping the foot on the pedal, to some, is part of the problem - perhaps underutilizing other players - a guy like Hansen killing 46 seconds of pk time a game, 15th on the Canucks for example. Tortorella clearly disagrees that there's an issue with overutilizing his top players, but whether he's looking realistically at his player's limits, particularly in a compacted Olympic travel and play schedule, is a question he's essentially sidestepping/denying.

"Shake the bushes here."

"We were playing a style we wanted to play - continue to teach right now - mistake is not shaking us back to aggressiveness quickly enough."

Is Tortorella's style not a good fit for the team?

"People that say that don't know what we're teaching as a coaching style."

He offers a future round table, with burger and drinks, where he'll l test the guys, see how they think the Canucks play, etc.

"I'd be more than happy to do that because I don't think many people know. I'd be more than happy to."

But why beat around the bush then? Just shake the damn bush. Here's an opportunity to actually answer those questions, while you still may have the fans' ears. What better time than the present? It may be true that some media in that room know a hell of a lot less than they posture to - why not take the opportunity to show that and in fact legitimize your coaching position?

"I let it go through just through the whole situation with our injuries and didn't grab hold of it quick enough.

That's a correction that we have made.

After Dallas. We changed our mindset how we approached the team... "

What was the change?

"Not telling."

There is a problem here though - that being that your GM seems to perceive a departure from Canucks hockey - and the fans have questions about the effectiveness of the coaching styles being employed - poor dzone coverage, epic third period breakdowns, dressing down players on the bench, dump and chase hockey - and would like some reassurances that the coach has some ideas aside from a foot to the pedal. The injuries are acknowledged, but sidestepping answers to the other questions about tempo, puck possession, the prudence of a three line approach (which started long before the injuries - in October in fact) etc at this stage is disappointing. Are they "coralled"? Not necessarily convinced.

Can't speak for Mike - but can actually be his candid self and a bit more forthcoming about the team's strategic on ice approach. It's not a secret to your opponents. It's not the Caramilk secret being revealed here. The opposition knows what you're doing - and probably more fans than they realize have an idea what they're doing.

Gillis defined how he wants the team to play. I think that is actually something the team needs to be forthright about. The style of hockey the team is playing is in question. I'm not sure that Tortorella gets the promotional aspect of giving the fans what they want. Will his job hinge somewhat on these answers? By all means, keep the personality disputes, trade rumour talk, etc behind closed doors, but I think the on ice product needs to be spoken to.

"Do it the right way. You guys have a different opinion I'm sure. But, that's not going to change how I do things. Again I don't know if you really know how I do things."

That's the point in asking though. At a sensitive time where there's an opportunity (perhaps a responsibility/accountability) to oblige.

Sounds like there's a bit of difference there.

"Ask Mike."

Are you on the same page?

"Yes, we're on the same page."

This is the part where it's stated that MG is the boss, but it's unclear whether that is actually translating. The "boss" defined the intended style of play. There seems to be a difference in philosophy. "We're on the same page" might not be that convincing. If on the same page, there's no real harm in elaborating on the up tempo, puck possession, improved transition game they intend to play,

"Minutes depend on depth. I think Kes and Crosby 5 or 6 seconds apart."

"Twins are in a space of probably 24 or 25 top forwards within 60 70 seconds, a shift and a half in a game."

"It's easy to look at numbers and say you played them too much...and that is not why there's been a struggle there - you're not going to talk me into that - it just isn't."

Standing his ground on whether or not he is overutilizing his top players. Yes injuries effect that, but the question then becomes was there a difference before the injuries? It doesn't appear so. We can't really expect Tortorella not to defend his decisions - he was in a tough position - but at the same time, were these problems forseeable? The ice time has been a live issue from the start and the injurieds conspired to bite him.

"But alot of that is determined on depth within your lineup. I don't want to go much further than that because then I think I'll be a little bit too critical and I don't want to do that here. That's an organizational type situation and that's an organizational conversation. I have my thoughts but I don't want to do it publicly. An internal discussion that will continue."

Here's the shot back at his GM. Essentially, depth forced his hand, but it's an 'internal' issue.

At this particular point I don't see these two guys being on the same page at all, and I don't see much indication in any of this commentary that Tortorella would change much about his 3 line approach, his systems/gameplanning, etc. were he to do it over again. Apparently he'd keep his foot on the pedal, but beyond that hasn't offered much in the way of reflection, adjustment, etc.

It kind of reminds me of an experience I had as a volleyball player. We were playing the Chinese Men's National team. Our coach was giving us a pregame brief where he suggested that the way to defeat this opponent was to 'put their heads under water and not let them back up until they can't breathe anymore'. Our captain remarked that it was an interesting speech, but wanted to know what blocking schemes we were intending to run. I loved that coach - he was unpretentious, he had us in fantastic shape, he ran great drills, and we had a very strong team - but... what blocking schemes were we going to run against this particular opponent? It was a good question.

I'm not going to suggest that Tortorella isn't a good tactician, but we probably won't find out much more by listening to this interview, and we probably won't get that impression from this season. The timing might be tough, but obliging some of these questions might not hurt.

We have a coaching here.

We don't need a coach that drops the F bombs on our players on every other shift.

W t f has changed since last year? Nothing much, the core group is pretty much the same , except for the Coaching.

Last year we were a division winning team. One of the best teams in the leauge

This year we are one of the worst teams in the leauge.

Torterella is coaching the same team that was one of the best teams in the league. He took over a very good team and coached it to a point were we are now one of the worst teams.

I put the blame on coaching.

The Canucks don't need a coach that yells and screams drops F bombs on our players night in night out. This is not our type of coach. He might work out with a goon like team like the Laffs, but not a finness skill team like the Canucks. This is not a question. Torterella should be the one to go. Why not Gillis? His track record speaks for itself. Probably the most winningest gm since the 2009 season.

So yes. I'm with Canning the coach who he did not even want in the 1st place.

I have said this multiple times and will repeat it again.

Torts is the coach we want to take us through the rebuild. He is an excellent coach. He has to get over the childish yelling and screaming as 18 to 22 year olds dont respond effectively to it.

Gillis is in many ways a great GM but he has to own up to his follies, and roll up his sleeves in the off season. He needs to trade Kesler and Edler to get full worth of futures for them. Same for Hansen, Higgins and others over the age of 27

Sedins Bieksa Burrows and Hamhuis can stay through the rebuild.

I disagree. If we wanted a rebuild coach, we would have gone after someone like John Stevens who's credited with helping Doughty become the player he is in LA. Clearly Doughty already had the talent but Stevens worked closely with him to play properly and have the correct attitude.

Torts was brought in because he could possibly get results from the current personnel without having to start into more of a youth movement. That was the sentiment of many analysts when he was hired and I believe that's the prime reason he was hired.

Easier said than done on trading Kes and Edler. What if they don't want to go (both have said so) or if the return isn't anywhere near what we'd accept? It takes two side to make a deal and there's no guarantee we'll get proper assets back that are worth more to us either now or in the future over the players we'd be dealing.

This proves you didn't even bother watching any games last year. We weren't even close to being one of the best teams last season. We were "division champs" by virtue of being in a trash division. That is a fact, despite what the naysayers try to argue. We couldn't beat the sharks AT ALL last season. They went undefeated against us in the playoffs and regular season.

We were declining since the finals. This didn't just start happening this season.

Even though i don't much care for either Tort's or Gillis i find it ridiculous that the coach and GM always take the heat and the players who have SEVERELY underachieved get away scot free!? Pathetic really !

The players have mentioned that

I disagree. If we wanted a rebuild coach, we would have gone after someone like John Stevens who's credited with helping Doughty become the player he is in LA. Clearly Doughty already had the talent but Stevens worked closely with him to play properly and have the correct attitude.

Torts was brought in because he could possibly get results from the current personnel without having to start into more of a youth movement. That was the sentiment of many analysts when he was hired and I believe that's the prime reason he was hired.

Easier said than done on trading Kes and Edler. What if they don't want to go (both have said so) or if the return isn't anywhere near what we'd accept? It takes two side to make a deal and there's no guarantee we'll get proper assets back that are worth more to us either now or in the future over the players we'd be dealing.

I understand this point. However, its April 2014. Its no longer Sept of 2013.

Our team has collapsed. Luongo is gone. Twins are no longer 80 point players. Kesler was almost traded.

I am not suggesting Torts be fired. I think he can help us through the rebuild. The 800 pound elephant that many want to try to ignore is that the Canucks can simply fine tune a couple of things and become contenders again. We lived and died with Luongo, Kesler and the twins at peak form.

Its not happening. We can wish it away all we want and it wont make a darn bit of difference. Delaying the rebuild is delaying the time it takes until we have a new contender. Its the facts of life in professional sports.

You always forget the preceding three seasons..the best in franchise history..and a game away from winning the SC

The team he inherited missed the playoffs before he was hired

The Sundin signing being a disaster is just your opinion...

Injuries..?

Fans of MG are quick to cite this but I think the 40 year vibe with the players going to the ring of honor ecetra just pushed everyone to the best. They all had career years and now it seems we have regressed. In reality we weren't that great to begin with minus Malhotra, and now Torres, GLASS, Tambelini, forgetting someone probably.

And AV still played Bolduc over Hodgson in the final. That's MG and his famous depth. I still don't think he knows how to build a high powered in your face team. He values hard work over in your face skill which is how it should be in the real world but unfortunately is not.

Regardless, attaching your glory to past success is futile, pointless, and possibily catastrophic.

Hansen has been pretty awful this year. He had significantly more points in a half year last year than he does this year. So he definitely hasn't gotten better this year, which contradicts your point completely. Would be nice to see a legit list of better options from you or the second bolded part is empty BS.

my comment about Hansen improving every year since he has been here was referring to pre torts!!!!! Obviously he hasn't been good this year just like a number of other usually reliable players having bad years under torts. Do I really need to give you a list of coaches to prove my point about torts? Is the fact that now days a coach doesn't publicly and repeatedly stab a player with his finger while yelling at him on camera not resonate with you. Are you going to defend that? I don't know you but I would hire you as coach before torts. Can't stand the guy. Brain in neutral mouth in overdrive.

We have a coaching here.

We don't need a coach that drops the F bombs on our players on every other shift.

W t f has changed since last year? Nothing much, the core group is pretty much the same , except for the Coaching.

This year we are one of the worst teams in the leauge.

Torterella is coaching the same team that was one of the best teams in the league. He took over a very good team and coached it to a point were we are now one of the worst teams.

I put the blame on coaching.

The Canucks don't need a coach that yells and screams drops F bombs on our players night in night out. This is not our type of coach. He might work out with a goon like team like the Laffs, but not a finness skill team like the Canucks. This is not a question. Torterella should be the one to go. Why not Gillis? His track record speaks for itself. Probably the most winningest gm since the 2009 season.

So yes. I'm with Canning the coach who he did not even want in the 1st place.

There's a big difference between playing Edmonton, Calgary and then Colorado for years in the old Pacific Division, and now having to play L.A., Anaheim and San Jose.

AV would have faired about the same with the same team.

Let it not be Tortorella as the fall guy on this one.

Archived