The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Just saw the Tulo/Pillar incident. Just proves my grief with Pillar even further. He was pissing off Bautista earlier in the year. If this doesn't cap it all off, I don't know what will. The team as a whole needs to sit him down and tell him to mellow out. As a fan, I'm pissed. I can just imagine how Tulo is feeling right now, not to mention what AA must be thinking.

I dont think Pillar is making any friends on the team..to much of a one man show..Im pissed he put Tulo out..idiot.

This is my feelings towards Pillar and what he did to Tulo.

pI1w9.gif

I realize that hating on Pillar is the cool thing to do these days, but after watching the replay several times and from several angles, I don't believe he deserves as much blame for this as you all think.

First of all, as a bunch of guys who claim to know their baseball, I'm sure you're aware that the center fielder (or any outfielder, for that matter) has precedent on that play.

Secondly, after watching, I can't see Tulo calling for that ball. Goins and Pillar both did call for it and you can clearly see Goins bail when he hears KP calling for it.

I don't blame Tulo for trying to make the play. That's what baseball players at that level do. But it was an unlucky, freak accident and blaming Pillar for the injury is just wrong. It wasn't even a particularly hard collision. It just caught Tulo in a bad spot.

Oh, BTW: Now do we all understand why it was important to get Pennington into those other games?

I realize that hating on Pillar is the cool thing to do these days, but after watching the replay several times and from several angles, I don't believe he deserves as much blame for this as you all think.

First of all, as a bunch of guys who claim to know their baseball, I'm sure you're aware that the center fielder (or any outfielder, for that matter) has precedent on that play.

Secondly, after watching, I can't see Tulo calling for that ball. Goins and Pillar both did call for it and you can clearly see Goins bail when he hears KP calling for it.

I don't blame Tulo for trying to make the play. That's what baseball players at that level do. But it was an unlucky, freak accident and blaming Pillar for the injury is just wrong. It wasn't even a particularly hard collision. It just caught Tulo in a bad spot.

Oh, BTW: Now do we all understand why it was important to get Pennington into those other games?

He definitely waved off Pillar and Goins (look at the 6-8 second mark):

He uses his right hand to call for the ball, the problem was his right hand was on the right side of his head, with his left side of his head facing Pillar, meaning Pillar probably couldn't see him make the call.

I get what you are saying re: CF gets precedent, but what happens when the CF starts making calls for a ball that are routine plays for other fielders? Sure Pillar has great speed and can get to a lot of balls, but why not allow the guy who can make an 'ordinary effort' make the catch instead. Tulo was able to get underneath that ball, he wasn't running onto it or going to have to make an over the shoulder catch.

^yep, talking live rn.

@bruce_arthur:

Anthopoulos tells reporters in NY that the early, early timeline on Troy Tulowitzki could be two to three weeks. Huge bullet dodge, if so.

@SNBarryDavis:

Troy Tulowitzki has been diagnosed with upper back muscle bruises and a small crack in his left shoulder blade. #bluejays

People that were complaining earlier will realize his loss now. Bet you whoever covers for him makes a couple of errors and costs us a game or two.

^yep, talking live rn.

@bruce_arthur:

Anthopoulos tells reporters in NY that the early, early timeline on Troy Tulowitzki could be two to three weeks. Huge bullet dodge, if so.

@SNBarryDavis:

Troy Tulowitzki has been diagnosed with upper back muscle bruises and a small crack in his left shoulder blade. #bluejays

People that were complaining earlier will realize his loss now. Bet you whoever covers for him makes a couple of errors and costs us a game or two.

You obviously didn't pay attention to the fact that Pennington was lights out defensively yesterday. Huge defensive plays in the first half of the double-header, huge HR in the second half.

You obviously didn't pay attention to the fact that Pennington was lights out defensively yesterday. Huge defensive plays in the first half of the double-header, huge HR in the second half.

Pennington was awesome. But he is playing 2nd. Goins is the SS.

Not worried, but Tulo is the guy you want in Oct.

He definitely waved off Pillar and Goins (look at the 6-8 second mark):

He uses his right hand to call for the ball, the problem was his right hand was on the right side of his head, with his left side of his head facing Pillar, meaning Pillar probably couldn't see him make the call.

I get what you are saying re: CF gets precedent, but what happens when the CF starts making calls for a ball that are routine plays for other fielders? Sure Pillar has great speed and can get to a lot of balls, but why not allow the guy who can make an 'ordinary effort' make the catch instead. Tulo was able to get underneath that ball, he wasn't running onto it or going to have to make an over the shoulder catch.

A small wave like that isn't enough. You have to call for it....and loudly. Bear in mind that Pillar, (like Goins) is looking at the ball. He has no way to know if Tulo is going to be there, unless he hears a loud "I got it" from TT.

Conversely, you can see Pillar doing just that; calling loudly, which is where (and when) Goins peels off.

I can understand people's frustration. Losing an all-star SS at this point of the season sucks, but it was one of those unlucky accidents that sometimes happens in a ball game. There doesn't always have to be a scapegoat.

That is Pillar's call to make - he's the field general, and it's an easier play for him to make coming in on a ball as opposed to an infielder backtracking. In addition, if there's a runner on base (not in this instance) the center fielder is more able to see and make a throw.

The one play in particular kept the Jays in game one. If he doesn't come up with that ball, the Yankees win.

This isn't to say that Goins (or Moony) wouldn't have made the same play, but it does underline the importance of having a capable backup and it underscores the importance of giving Pennington playing time leading up to this series, just in case he was needed.

That is Pillar's call to make - he's the field general, and it's an easier play for him to make coming in on a ball as opposed to an infielder backtracking. In addition, if there's a runner on base (not in this instance) the center fielder is more able to see and make a throw.

Tulo wasn't backtracking. He was under the ball.

And I understand that Pillar gets to make the calls. What I'm wondering about is his decision-making on when he should back off. CF is very deep in NY, he had a long way to run in. He wasn't making a casual jog to the ball. Tulo wasn't backing up when he made the catch. He was standing under the ball.

I also have a different interpretation of the video. To me, Goins looks at Tulo, not Pillar, before backing off. In fact, when Goins puts up his right hand, he could be telling Pillar to back off.

It is also possible that Tulo did call for it.

Edited by Down by the River

Im aware that CF takes precedent...but I have also seen this guy crowding people all year..Im not hating on him because its the cool thing to do...but does he think he is the only guy on the team that can make a play. The look on Tulos face after he was hit was like WTF?

Now he is out...I just hope he is back for any post season action. I think deep down Gibby was upset as well...he set the next game...first one all year.

Pennington was awesome. But he is playing 2nd. Goins is the SS.

Not worried, but Tulo is the guy you want in Oct.

Agreed. But DBTR was correct.

While Goins is shifting over to cover short, Pennington is the guy replacing him in the lineup and was the guy who made a sparkling defensive play that allowed the Jays to stay in (and ultimately win) game one.