The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

For a change, the Jays were finally on the receiving end of some good fortune....

A day after everything that could go wrong seemed to, Toronto got a base running error from Edouard Julien in the first inning that turned a potential based loaded, no out situation into a 1st & 3rd with one out. Jose Berrios was able to escape the inning with no damage.

A inning later, Julien made a sliding play on a Daulton Varsho grounder, but dropped the ball on the transfer. It would have been the third out, had he been able to make the throw. A few pitches later, Alejandro Kirk hits a pop-up that drops into no-mans land in shallow left-center for a 2 run single.

The Jays got their third run on a miscue by Twins center-fielder Willi Castro, who let a 2 out Bo Bichette single sneak under his glove, allowing George Springer (who had walked) to score all the way from first.

Jose Berrios had a solid outing, going 5-2/3 and striking out 5 batters.

Varsho, who had a rough game in center in game 2, definitely redeemed himself yesterday. In the 4th, he threw out LF Alex Kiriloff, as he tried to go 1st to 3rd on a Castro single.....Then, in the 8th, he took an extra base hit away from Carlos Correa, leaping and catching the ball, about a foot from the top of the wall, in straight away center field.

Toronto has an off day today. Starting on Tueday, they're at home to the Brewers for a three game series. After that, it's off to NY for a three game set against the Mets, starting on Friday night.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

For a change, the Jays were finally on the receiving end of some good fortune....

A day after everything that could go wrong seemed to, Toronto got a base running error from Edouard Julien in the first inning that turned a potential based loaded, no out situation into a 1st & 3rd with one out. Jose Berrios was able to escape the inning with no damage.

A inning later, Julien made a sliding play on a Daulton Varsho grounder, but dropped the ball on the transfer. It would have been the third out, had he been able to make the throw. A few pitches later, Alejandro Kirk hits a pop-up that drops into no-mans land in shallow left-center for a 2 run single.

The Jays got their third run on a miscue by Twins center-fielder Willi Castro, who let a 2 out Bo Bichette single sneak under his glove, allowing George Springer (who had walked) to score all the way from first.

Jose Berrios had a solid outing, going 5-2/3 and striking out 5 batters.

Varsho, who had a rough game in center in game 2, definitely redeemed himself yesterday. In the 4th, he threw out LF Alex Kiriloff, as he tried to go 1st to 3rd on a Castro single.....Then, in the 8th, he took an extra base hit away from Carlos Correa, leaping and catching the ball, about a foot from the top of the wall, in straight away center field.

Toronto has an off day today. Starting on Tueday, they're at home to the Brewers for a three game series. After that, it's off to NY for a three game set against the Mets, starting on Friday night.

I heard a lot of fans giving Varsho a hard time for his fielding Saturday.  I guess I'm more forgiving, many outfielders don't even come close to catching those balls.  In baseball, sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.  In the field, there will be so much more good than bad with Varsho.  Just wish I could say the same at the plate :unsure:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I heard a lot of fans giving Varsho a hard time for his fielding Saturday.  I guess I'm more forgiving, many outfielders don't even come close to catching those balls.  In baseball, sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.  In the field, there will be so much more good than bad with Varsho.  Just wish I could say the same at the plate :unsure:

I've played a lot of center field in my day, and the ball that you have to go back on is far more difficult to catch that ones you have to come in on....In fact, I used to deliberately play shallow when shagging fly balls in practice, so I'd have to get used to going back....It drove me nuts to see my teammates standing with their backs to the fence and coming in on everything....

If you watch the replay of the one DV "helped" over the fence, he did everything right, except he closed his glove a fraction of a second too soon. If he does that a split-second later, we're discussing how he took away potential homers in two consecutive games.

As the saying goes: It's a game of inches....

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

We've been spoiled over the years with a couple of great ones in White and Pillar.

Edited by King Heffy

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

We've been spoiled over the years with a couple of great ones in White and Pillar.

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Don't forget Gold Glover Vernon Wells

....and of course, we can't forget the GOAT:

• Haha 2
  • There it is 1

Even on an off day, the Jays are making news....for all the wrong reasons....:picard:

Seems like Anthony Bass isn't content with being a crappy pitcher, he has to be an even worse person:

The 35-year-old reliever shared a video — which has since been deleted — advising those of Christian faith to boycott Target and Bud Light, who have been publicly supporting LGBTQ rights. He also opposed any other organization that does so, too.

"Here's the reason biblically why I believe Christians have gotta be boycotting Target, Bud Light, and any other corporation that's pushing the things they're pushing," Bass said during an Instagram story. "I think a lot of people make this into a political issue, or they say 'Oh what's the big deal?'"

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/wnba/blue-jays-anthony-bass-endorses-anti-lgbtq-boycotts-of-bud-light-target/ar-AA1bRdWV?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=21c77dd42cb3450fb2fb412b6370020e&ei=22

DFA this clown, Shatkins...<_<

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Even on an off day, the Jays are making news....for all the wrong reasons....:picard:

Seems like Anthony Bass isn't content with being a crappy pitcher, he has to be an even worse person:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/wnba/blue-jays-anthony-bass-endorses-anti-lgbtq-boycotts-of-bud-light-target/ar-AA1bRdWV?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=21c77dd42cb3450fb2fb412b6370020e&ei=22

Enough is enough.  You would figure this bigot would keep his mouth shut after the tantrum his wife threw this year.  Suspend him without pay for conduct detrimental to the team and then send him down to A ball for the rest of his contract.

7 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Enough is enough.  You would figure this bigot would keep his mouth shut after the tantrum his wife threw this year.  Suspend him without pay for conduct detrimental to the team and then send him down to A ball for the rest of his contract.

'A' ball?  But I'm going to a Canadians game soon and would prefer them to have a chance to win :unsure:

I think the bullpen's inconsistency lately is a product of how much they were used early in the season. Remember the first few weeks? None of the starters was going more than 5, or maybe 6 innings....

I've said this before....I think Schneider has to trust Pearson and Richards a bit more in high leverage situations. Right now, both are more reliable than Garcia....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The guy can't throw a strike to save his life let alone close out an inning.  Him and his wife have this amazingly entitled attitude on flights and now this.

Trade him to whoever wants him

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The guy can't throw a strike to save his life let alone close out an inning.  Him and his wife have this amazingly entitled attitude on flights and now this.

Trade him to whoever wants him

If I were an 'investigative reporter" I'd be asking a few questions

Every single person that uses his 'religion' as a reason for bigotry, should be asked a few questions

When did you last attend church?

Which day of the week do you observe sabbath? If they don't take a day of observance, how do they rationalize putting the god of money before their deity?

do they wear mixed fabrics?

Many questions that should be asked, of anyone that uses religion in such a manner.

• Thanks 1