The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

I mean...Keith Hernandez was a pretty good hitter.....maybe it's worth a shot? :unsure:

Mets broadcaster Keith Hernandez didn’t exactly get technical when analyzing the swing of Blue Jays catcher Alejandro Kirk on Friday night.

In fact, the popular former Mets first baseman and multiple all-star stunned his fellow broadcasters into silence during the second inning of the Jays 3-0 victory.

When waxing poetic on the finer points of hitting a baseball — which Hernandez did with a certain degree of prowess during his decorated playing career — the broadcaster suggested “you want to always be erect when you make contact.”

It isn't clear what KH's opinion is on how one should grip the bat....

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Belt bails out Pearson with that 2 run homerun.  Jays needed that one.

The baseball gods owed that to Belt...

Earlier in the game, the alleged HP umpire rang him up twice on balls that were 4 inches off the plate. They weren't quite as bad as the strike call against Vladdy in the 2-1 win, (the pitch that ended up with John Schneider getting tossed) but they were bad....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The baseball gods owed that to Belt...

Earlier in the game, the alleged HP umpire rang him up twice on balls that were 4 inches off the plate. They weren't quite as bad as the strike call against Vladdy in the 2-1 win, (the pitch that ended up with John Schneider getting tossed) but they were bad....

Yeah, ump had a bit of an expanded zone all day.  Both ways at least.

Good on Brian Snitker for pulling Ozuna from the game for this:

This "pimping the home run" thing is irritating to begin with, but when it turns doubles into singles, it absolutely should earn you a spot on the bench as a spectator for the rest of the game....

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Good on Brian Snitker for pulling Ozuna from the game for this:

This "pimping the home run" thing is irritating to begin with, but when it turns doubles into singles, it absolutely should earn you a spot on the bench as a spectator for the rest of the game....

Didn't realize his mentor was Cox, the second most successful manager in Jays history.  Good decision.

Edited by King Heffy

Manoah is done. Maybe he is just that a one hit wonder. Feeling Ricky Romero vibes here.

You cannot trot him out anymore, either send him down to the minors to work it out and rebuild his confidence or go on the IL. He is hurting this team way too much. Jays are better off bringing up a AAA pitcher for now than to see Manoah like this.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if Alec gained weight this off season?

A few extra pounds, and the need for speed due to the pitch clock might be a part of his issues.

Perhaps an extra day of rest can get his pitch speed up a bit?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

I wonder if Alec gained weight this off season?

A few extra pounds, and the need for speed due to the pitch clock might be a part of his issues.

Perhaps an extra day of rest can get his pitch speed up a bit?

I saw someone else mention it - the pitch clock has effectively taken away the time Manoah used to use to reset himself after a bad pitch. If it's a pyschological issue with him (and it really seems to me like it's more than just a mechanics problem right now), then he's gonna need more than rest and conditioning to get out of it.

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Who had; Kikuchi will have a better year than Manoah, on their Bingo card?

Yeah, so much for the hope that tonight would be a bounce back start for him....At this point I wonder if the Jays shouldn't give him the Roy Halladay Rebuild treatment.

Call up Waguespack or Overton and maybe use Richards as an opener on those games....I can't imagine how it would be worse....

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, van_ws said:

Manoah is done. Maybe he is just that a one hit wonder. Feeling Ricky Romero vibes here.

You cannot trot him out anymore, either send him down to the minors to work it out and rebuild his confidence or go on the IL. He is hurting this team way too much. Jays are better off bringing up a AAA pitcher for now than to see Manoah like this.

Haven't seen a Jay dominate and then fall off to that degree since Jack Morris.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Morris wad a great pitcher who got old. What’s Minoha’s excuse? 

It's between the ears.  I agree that Walker needs to go at this point, but I'd prefer a change of managers as well.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Jose Baustista must be seeing what is going on and thinking "What the hell?!  I got grief for how long?"