The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

37 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You can certainly look at the Jay's bullpen and say that they're the team's weak spot.

However, to me what has 'let the Jays down' is their bats/situational hitting. Their bats are supposed to be their bread+butter. It isn't like the Jays went out and got a Yankee-esque or Royals-esque bullpen. Their bats are what are supposed to define the team, and although guys like EE and JD certainly look good on some of your typical stats, I wish this team as a whole was better at getting on base, getting a key steal, not getting thrown out trying to turn a single into a double or a double into a triple. The talent at the plate is way too good to think that every AB needs to be a HR.

I tend to agree with this..they probably lead the league in strike outs and have hit into more DPs than any other team..their runners left on base is sky high.

4 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I tend to agree with this..they probably lead the league in strike outs and have hit into more DPs than any other team..their runners left on base is sky high.

They are only 6th in the AL in total strikeouts, so not terrible but not good either. They are 11th in sacrifice hits and 13th in sac flies. For a team that is capable of hitting a lot of balls in the air, that last stat is pretty bad. Their pinch-hitter batting average is .147, which is 13th in the AL. They've hit into the most DP in the AL, five more than the second place team.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

management doesnt care..its all according to plan.

It's awful, Rogers served up a big &^@# you to all the fans after last year. It's a shame that JD, EE have to suffer. But I see EE and JB either being traded or walking at the end of the season. It sucks that guys like JD, Stroman, Pillar and Travis will be stuck here through Shapiro's reign of terror, they deserve better. How long til Tulo asks for a trade?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

The Revere for Storen deal is the best symbol of my feelings for the new management. 

Judging by Storens body language after he was pulled...I think he sees the writing on the wall..but then again its Shapiro pulling the strings.

I left with the jays up 4-3, but I knew Estrada was out of the game. (Smoak had already pinch hit for him) Pretty disappointing to hear about Storen, as I thought he had started to turn the corner and the past few weeks.

Doesn't sound like the rest of the pen was much better. Hopefully Cecil looks more like his old self when he returns, but it still leaves us down a right-handed setup man. Shapiro and Atkins need to get busy...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Holy. Someone mentioned Ricky Romero yesterday on the Jays page. What happened to that guy? I very rarely caught anything about the Jays years ago but I do remember he was pretty good. Looking at his Wikipedia, it sounds like he fell off the face of the baseball world overnight.

It was a case of the Yips I believe. Some guys shake it, others don't. 

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

I think he is on his last legs with the Jays   as for the league..someone might try him....he has done nothing as advertised.

We need a long relief guy that's dependable, a good set up guy(maybe Grilli could come along) and a true Ace. No offence to Stroman, he's good but to inexperienced to be relied upon as an ace at this point in his career. I don't know what the &^@# Shapiro was thinking and why he doesn't address the fact that he &^@#ed up and correct it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

The Revere for Storen deal is the best symbol of my feelings for the new management. 

Revere has been struggling in Washington, but he did have 4 hits and 3 stolen bases, yesterday.