The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 hours ago, JV77 said:

Pulling for the Jays, but it would be something great to see the Cubs win the World Series and put an end to that drought.  The question will be then, will Steve Bartman be forgiven??

Honestly, in Chicago, alot of Cubs fans never blamed Bartman.....most knowledgeable fans rightfully placed the blame on Dusty Baker and Alex Gonzalez.  The media and the morons were the ones who sensationalized Bartman.  And I wouldn't say the morons have forgiven him, but more or less, forgotten him.  His name never gets mentioned anymore except by non-Cubs (mostly Sox/Cardinals) fans who are trying to draw a reaction from the Cubs fans.  Kind of how Yankees fans would always bring up Bill Buckner to Red Sox fans.

4 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Honestly, in Chicago, alot of Cubs fans never blamed Bartman.....most knowledgeable fans rightfully placed the blame on Dusty Baker and Alex Gonzalez.  The media and the morons were the ones who sensationalized Bartman.  And I wouldn't say the morons have forgiven him, but more or less, forgotten him.  His name never gets mentioned anymore except by non-Cubs (mostly Sox/Cardinals) fans who are trying to draw a reaction from the Cubs fans.  Kind of how Yankees fans would always bring up Bill Buckner to Red Sox fans.

I've said the same thing many times. If Gonzo makes that play, nobody would know who Steve Bartman is...

Changing the subject a bit, I'd like to give props to Jerry Howarth (and Jamie Campbell) for their decision not to use the word "Indians" in their broadcasts. I know many will disagree, using the "tradition" angle, but some traditions need to be changed.

It used to be "tradition" to refer to African Americans using the "N" word...

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've said the same thing many times. If Gonzo makes that play, nobody would know who Steve Bartman is...

Changing the subject a bit, I'd like to give props to Jerry Howarth (and Jamie Campbell) for their decision not to use the word "Indians" in their broadcasts. I know many will disagree, using the "tradition" angle, but some traditions need to be changed.

It used to be "tradition" to refer to African Americans using the "N" word...

Funny you say that...I was thinking the same thing the other night...Clevelands team logo is actually downright offensive...they and washington (NFL)..need to do something about that ASAP.

Just now, ShakyWalton said:

Funny you say that...I was thinking the same thing the other night...Clevelands team logo is actually downright offensive...they and washington (NFL)..need to do something about that ASAP.

The thing that I found interesting is that Howarth has been avoiding using the word for years. He started simply because he was asked to do so by an aboriginal fan during the '92 World Series. (In fact, I remember going on a bit of a tirade about that stupid Tomahawk Chop thing they used to do in Atlanta)

Sometimes all you have to do is ask nicely: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/blue-jays-broadcaster-jerry-howarth-won’t-say-‘indians’-in-alcs/ar-BBxiXgb?li=AA54y7&ocid=spartandhp

19 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

I've always thought the Indians Logo was so over the top and ridiculous that it becomes less offensive (kinda like satire maybe). Obviously, I'm not one to determine what offends other cultures, just something I've always thought. On the other hand, I think the Eskimos, Redskins, and Braves are actual offensive words that are used in everyday speech. 

Is using Chiefs or Blackhawks offensive too? One is named after tribe leaders and the other after a WW1 infantry division, that was named for a local Leader (Black Hawk). I know most find the logo for Blackhawks to be offensive, but is the name?

Edited by Art Vandelay

23 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I've always thought the Indians Logo was so over the top and ridiculous that it becomes less offensive (kinda like satire maybe). Obviously, I'm not one to determine what offends other cultures, just something I've always thought. On the other hand, I think the Eskimos, Redskins, and Braves are actual offensive words that are used in everyday speech. 

Is using Chiefs or Blackhawks offensive too? One is named after tribe leaders and the other after a WW1 infantry division, that was named for a local Leader (Black Hawk). I know most find the logo for Blackhawks to be offensive, but is the name?

there is a fine line I think..I dont find Chiefs or Blackhawks offensive..because thats what they were,,,even Braves for that matter is slightly less offensive than Redskins or Indians....but I guess the point is why do you have to have a cartoonish/racial attitude about someones race as a name or logo for your sports team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ShakyWalton said:

there is a fine line I think..I dont find Chiefs or Blackhawks offensive..because thats what they were,,,even Braves for that matter is slightly less offensive than Redskins or Indians....but I guess the point is why do you have to have a cartoonish/racial attitude about someones race as a name or logo for your sports team.

I would tend to agree, Walt. Blackhawks and Chiefs are one thing, Redskins, Indians and Braves are slightly more racial. It's 2016, and probably time we started to get away from the racial names in sports. This isn't the 50's and 60's where racial stereotypes are the norm. We're living in an increasingly PC society, where classism and racism have taken a whole new turn for the worst. I'm sure they can afford to rebrand their teams, which would only lead to an influx of revenue (ie: new fan swag)

While they are at it can we get the Blue jays to change their name to " Jays of a non describable colour"?

The name Canucks should also be gone as it is used to describe Canadians in a desultory way.

Eskimos- gone

Blue Bombers- gone due to colour reference and the glorification of bombers- an obvious gate way to the radicalization of some religious youth.

Red Blacks -do I have to say anything here?

Stampeders- do you know how many horses are hurt every year at the Calgary stampede- glorification of violence

The boom in new jersey/gear would lift the economy of North America to previously unseen heights.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

While they are at it can we get the Blue jays to change their name to " Jays of a non describable colour"?

The name Canucks should also be gone as it is used to describe Canadians in a desultory way.

Eskimos- gone

Blue Bombers- gone due to colour reference and the glorification of bombers- an obvious gate way to the radicalization of some religious youth.

Red Blacks -do I have to say anything here?

Stampeders- do you know how many horses are hurt every year at the Calgary stampede- glorification of violence

The boom in new jersey/gear would lift the economy of North America to previously unseen heights.

Eskimos is what Europeans called those who live in the northern region and it has European origin. It's not their name. Other cultures should not decide what other people are called. So Edmonton using the Inuit identity, or other NA nations, and calling them Eskimos is the core issue, as it's "cultural appropriation".

Other names and logos are arguable (not redskins, its a racial slur), but your analogy of colours and animals being hurt is absurd.  

5 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Eskimos is what Europeans called those who live in the northern region and it has European origin. It's not their name. Other cultures should not decide what other people are called. So Edmonton using the Inuit identity, or other NA nations, and calling them Eskimos is the core issue, as it's "cultural appropriation".

Other names and logos are arguable (not redskins, its a racial slur), but your analogy of colours and animals being hurt is absurd.  

Just because you are not offended by such horrible use of colour to describe things or upset about animals being hurt doesn't mean a lot of people aren't offended. If you are willing to change the names of some teams because offense is taken, why not all teams that use names or words that  are offensive to some other people?

11 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

I thought "Eskimo" was an Algonquin word meaning: eater of raw meat?  

Just now, gurn said:

Just because you are not offended by such horrible use of colour to describe things or upset about animals being hurt doesn't mean a lot of people aren't offended. If you are willing to change the names of some teams because offense is taken, why not all teams that use names or words that  are offensive to some other people?

I'm not a moron. I can understand what is reasonably offensive.