The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Dickey might pitch tomorrow in Oakland..Hutch is supposed to be ill.

I'll be watching for that. It's kind of funny, because despite the eye rolling that Dickey gets and deserves, he shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as his record indicates. Nor should Hutchison's be anywhere near as good. His stats are actually noticeably worse in certain respects. But I'd still rather take a Hutchison outing over a Dickey one, with fewer walks, more strikeouts, to go along with that strong occurrence of winning.

edit: The probable pitchers have changed so that Hutchison is now pitching the Friday Mariners game. So I got what I wanted, I guess.

Edited by g_bassi13
  • Upvote 1

Forgot about Stroman. Is there any possibility he could return late in the season?

He might. The question is, how effective will he be? Think of how most pitchers look in Spring Training and how they need the better part of a month to get their innings up.

I wouldn't expect much outside maybe some middle relief from Marcus this season.

A first baseman has to be able to dig out that ball. Excellent play by Donnie.

Yet another reason to advocate trading Edwin. Colabello was at first because Gibby is trying to get everyone at bats. The best scenario is for Smoak to be the everyday 1st baseman (he would have been able to dig that ball out) while CC is the DH.

I didn't like EE's at bat in the 9th yesterday either. Way too anxious, and swinging for the fences the entire AB. All they needed was a fly ball...

Edited by RUPERTKBD

Just heard on SN that the Jays are now 10-20 in one run games...is anybody else terribly disappointed by that?

And I hate to say it but I didn't watch last night's game. Just highlights. Did they really score their only run in the 9th off a walk? To be fair though, I generally like Navarro's at bats.

Just heard on SN that the Jays are now 10-20 in one run games...is anybody else terribly disappointed by that?

And I hate to say it but I didn't watch last night's game. Just highlights. Did they really score their only run in the 9th off a walk? To be fair though, I generally like Navarro's at bats.

No. It was 3-2 going into the 9th. They managed to load the bases with none out, but were only able to muster 1 run, on a Jose Bautista walk. Donaldson and EE struck out and Navarro popped up to end the threat.

The thing that was frustrating was that even though JD struck out, he had a good AB. Clippard put a couple of changeups on the black for borderline called strikes. Donaldson was able to battle back to a full count, fouling off several pitches. Clippard got him on a high change that surprised him. (and me as well) With bases loaded and a full count, it took a lot of guts to throw that pitch.

EE, OTOH, went up there swinging for the fences from the get go and dug himself a 0-2 hole. Even with two strikes, he was going for the Salami, when all he really needed was a fly ball...

Edited by RUPERTKBD

I'll be watching for that. It's kind of funny, because despite the eye rolling that Dickey gets and deserves, he shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as his record indicates. Nor should Hutchison's be anywhere near as good. His stats are actually noticeably worse in certain respects. But I'd still rather take a Hutchison outing over a Dickey one, with fewer walks, more strikeouts, to go along with that strong occurrence of winning.

edit: The probable pitchers have changed so that Hutchison is now pitching the Friday Mariners game. So I got what I wanted, I guess.

I have given up on trying to predict who is going to pitch. So many things can happen. Back in the early 2000s, when the Jays were terrible but Halladay was awesome, I successfully predicted in April when Halladay was going to pitch in Seattle in July. I even took into account off days where the Jays would probably jump him up a spot in the rotation and off days where they wouldn't. My friend and I were driving down to Seattle the day of the came chanting "Halladay Halladay Halladay" only to hear on a radio show that he had hurt himself in warm up and wouldn't pitch :sadno:

The last two Jays pitchers I have seen in Seattle were Hutch and Dickey...I enjoyed the Dickey start more. Then again, it was a "bad Hutch" game last year that I saw.

@Athletics:

#Athletics trade LHP Scott Kazmir to Houston for RHP Daniel Mengden and C Jacob Nottingham; recall RHP Arnold Leon

Yea AA won't be doing shiet ffs.

Except for looking for a new career, doubt he ever gets into management again because he's never even made playoffs before.

Except for looking for a new career, doubt he ever gets into management again because he's never even made playoffs before.

What's worse is that the system is fairly gutted. In the top 100 prospects they have 3 and Pompey barely counts as prospect anymore since he is with the big club.

What's worse is that the system is fairly gutted. In the top 100 prospects they have 3 and Pompey barely counts as prospect anymore since he is with the big club.

Which again is a reflection of AA's stupid asset management. He's so fricken retarded. Like if you were willing to give up prospects to be better now, why not go all in instead half assing it? I will never understand this guys thinking. He's so fricken stupid! Now we're stuck in the middle. And even worse, idiot is looking to trade for a pitcher and maybe a bullpen arm when he could've just signed a #1 pitcher in the offseason and gotten a closer.

:picard: fracken hell..

I don't know that its gutted. It's certainly mediocre. But to go along with some decent prospects, we do have more than a few promising rookies on our major team with guys like Sanchez, Travis, and Osuna, Hopefully we'll see more of Pompey next year. Norris and Hoffman have some potential to do some serious damage, especially Norris.

It's not looking great, but there's far, far worse in the league.

@JeffPassan:

Sources: Toronto in serious pursuit of starting pitcher. Suppose that's obvious at this point, but team pushing really hard to acquire one.

@JeffPassan:

Sources: Cleveland has been willing to listen on pitching, particularly Carlos Carrasco. May be a match there with Toronto. They've talked.

@JeffPassan: Jays have lots of pieces that could be of interest: Jeff Hoffman, Daniel Norris, Dalton Pompey, Anthony Alford and more. Enough to go big.

I'm afraid AA only gets 1 arm and pays a premium doing so. It'll only weaken our prospect pool that much more and dig us in a bigger hole. We need at least 2 arms. 1 starter for sure and a bullpen arm or another starter. Getting one starter won't cut it and we'll miss the playoffs again and in the same situation with a damaged prospect pool. Go big or go home. AA better get 2 arms or none at all. Have feeling he'll halfass it like he does with everything and screw us over even more.

T Ross is ok, but I would preferred someone like Kazmir, whose price was reasonably agreeable. There's player control for years with Ross, but that would mean paying a massive premium for him. I wouldn't mind a rental.