The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Perhaps you're referring to Darryl Sutter, who was blissfully unaware that his core has expired and had made bad trade after bad trade. Feaster did nothing but lose.

Your history is a bit shotty.

Feaster was under the impression that he had a team capable of going on a lengthly playoff run in 2012 lol, and therefore, instead of facing the task of retooling and getting something for his near-retirement core, he instead went out and acquired Cammalleri at the deadline, selling him as the key to a long Flames "playoff run".

Needless to say, the Lames missed the playoffs again. They were hopelessly shallow up the middle, and Feaster....acquired a winger.

In the end he wound up getting a 28th overall pick and a couple b prospects for Iginla, and not a damn thing for Kipprusoff.

That is a model for fracking things up on both ends of the scale.

Failed to acquire reasonable futures when he had the chance and then had a horrible drafting record when he did actually have picks to work with.

From a business perspective, they need to get faces of guys we love out there in the media ASAP to start deflecting crap and give a reason for season ticket holders to renew.

I could easily see a selection committee formed that included guys like Linden and Naslund as part of the team... I don't see them being made GM though. President and Head of European Scouting respectively is not impossible.

Who is going to sit there and yell at Trevor freaking Linden in a press conference? Media will throw softball questions at him and all will be well.

Not once have I thought that Feaster would actually be in contention for the GM job. As soon as I heard it, I knew it was nonsense. His resume could have been immaculate; but after what happened in Calgary, no way does he get another job this soon, and a GM job at that.

MG:

Good: Was good at negotiating contracts and managing the salary cap. Was also very good in free agency. Most of his marquee signings ended up being very good....Hamhuis, Garrison, Malhotra, Torres, Santorelli, Richardson, Tanev, and Lack. As well as getting lower end but servicable players like Glass, and Volpatti.

Bad: Drafting. Really the only player of note in the first 3 years was Cody Hodgson....who isn't even that good.

Even: Trades. Made great ones with Ehrhoff, Higgins, and Lapierre. Verdict is still out on Kassian. Booth and Ballard were duds. But I recall at the time many people lauding these trades. They addressed needs at the time.

I don't think people are giving enough credit to the owners…they are highly intelligent business people. They made a good hire in Gillis at the time of the hiring. He made a good assessment of the team and brought in some key pieces to help the team come so close to winning the cup. Unfortunately, Gillis failed to keep this team competitive since then and has caused all sorts of drama in this organization. He has handcuffed this team with his NTC's and aging core.

I think a large reason due to Gillis getting fired was that the owners realized after watching this team for the past 3 years that this core needs to go and is declining from here on out. Gillis publically said he still believes this core can go all the way if they go back to their old style….which is not the case. This core needs to be blown up and people need to realize this..they aren't the same players anymore and arent going to get you anywhere near the cup especially in this tough western conference.

I hope the Aquillini's hire a GM who shares this view and can start making major, ballsy moves and changes to get this team slowly on top again.

No i'm thinking of feaster who attempted to sign O'Rielly and if was successfully not only lose O'reilly on waivers but also lost out on their first round monnahan pick this year.

I'm thinking of the feaster that traded the 14th overall pick in 2012 and drafted Jankowski instead of picking teravainen, hertl, Maatta, Laughton, Ceci, Wilson, Girgensons, who were all pick right after the 14th overall selection.

Your history is a bit shotty.

Feaster was under the impression that he had a team capable of going on a lengthly playoff run in 2012 lol, and therefore, instead of facing the task of retooling and getting something for his near-retirement core, he instead went out and acquired Cammalleri at the deadline, selling him as the key to a long Flames "playoff run".

Needless to say, the Lames missed the playoffs again. They were hopelessly shallow up the middle, and Feaster....acquired a winger.

In the end he wound up getting a 28th overall pick and a couple b prospects for Iginla, and not a damn thing for Kipprusoff.

That is a model for fracking things up on both ends of the scale.

Failed to acquire reasonable futures when he had the chance and then had a horrible drafting record when he did actually have picks to work with.

Jay Feaster trade record with the Flames:

- Freddy Modin for 2011 7th round pick (#193-Colin Blackwell)

- Roman Horak, 2011 2nd round pick (#45-Markus Granlund), 2011 2nd round pick (#57-Tyler Wotherspoon) for Tim Erixon, 2011 5th round pick (#133-Shane McColgan)

- Chris Butler and Paul Byron for Ales Kotalik, Robyn Regehr, 2012 2nd round pick (#44 - Jake McCabe)

- Jordan Henry for Keith Seabrook

- Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond for a 2012 5th round draft pick (#135 - Graham Black)

- Lee Stempniak for Daymond Langkow

- Blair Jones for Brendan Mikkelson

- Michael Cammalleri, Karri Ramo, 2012 5th round pick (Brett Kulak) for Rene Bourque, Patrick Holland, 2013 2nd round pick (#36 - Zach Fucale)

- Brian Connelly for Brendan Morrison

- Akim Aliu for John Negrin

- 2012 1st round pick (#21-Mark Jankowski), 2012 2nd round pick (#42-Patrick Sieloff) for 2012 1st round pick (#14-Zemgus Girgensons)

- Dennis Wideman for Jordan Henry and a 2013 5th round pick

- 7th Round Pick (#198 - John Gilmour) for Henrik Karlsson

- Mike Testwuide for Mitch Wahl

- Brian McGrattan for Joe Piskula

- Ben Hanowski, Kenny Agostino and a 2013 1st Round Pick (#28 - Morgan Klimchuck) for Jarome Iginla

- Mark Cundari, Reto Berra and a 2013 1st round pick (#22 - Emile Porier) for Jay Bouwmeester

- 2013 5th Round Pick (#135 - Eric Roy) for Blake Comeau

- Corban Knight for a 2013 4th Round Pick (#97 - Michael Downing)

- David Jones and Shane O`Brien for Cory Sarich and Alex Tanguay

- T.J. Galiardi for a 2015 4th Round Pick

- Kris Russell for a 2014 5th Round Pick

I am so pissed at ownership over this knee jerk move.

Sometimes you are going to miss the playoffs to improve the team. Firing the GM every time, is not the answer to motivating a GM.

Obviously its just about money and making the playoffs to them. Toronto west. 40 plus years of suckage mediocrity.

Now we have to go through the learning curve of another GM. And another Cam Neely trade.

Every Gm we have ever had has been bent over and screwed by someone in trades, and Gillis had learned from his Ballard trade.

Who is there to hire? No one with a pedigree better then Gillis. Why fire unless you can improve?

Pathetic is how I see this move, and it really irks me. I can only hope the Aqualini's will learn about hockey, and that it can take a step back, to take a step forward.

isn't nicholson in vancouver now?@@

Really didn't mind GMMG but some of his decisions the last few years have been baffling. Was it even him though or was it owner meddling or something else entirely? Guess we will have to see how the next guy handles the situation and then we'll get a better idea of what's going on.

Oh well, thanks for the solid years Mike.

Well we will see how smart they are since it's going to be near impossible for them to make the playoffs four a couple years at least.

I will happily stick around for a rebuild.

If we somehow pretend that the team right now is "close" or in some sort of "window" and we trade away the future in order to make it instead of selling like crazy and stocking up 2015 (deep draft) picks then they will loose even more customers than they already have.

I agree.

But that wasn't the issue I was responding to. A team can lose a boatload of games, while still trying, when the long-term, intelligent focus is directed in the right way. With the Canucks, we're compromised in the long-term because of all the NTCs and NMCs Gillis handed out too freely, but one of the possible benefits of a new GM is that it's more likely for players to waive them. To be short, we have assets that can be traded for valuable prospects and picks that, while still guaranteeing a poor reg season finish, could be exciting for the long-term.

That's the intelligent way to rebuild. Not a hope-and-prayer race to the bottom that ends up being a #4 overall selection that could easily be Petr Nedved 2.0.

Lebrun saying that he would put money on the new GM being forced to keep Torts as the coach as he is owed quite a but of money (Or not force with the case of Feaster as he loves Torts).

........ in that case I have no idea how our collective fanbase will be able to endure another season under Tortorella. We've seen enough this season from him to let him go already, I don't think I'll be watching as much if he stays. It's become absolutely dreadful

Archived