The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If they hire Feaster... April Fool's Day was last week!

I was on the fence with Gillis, but Feaster is terrible. Bring in someone new, but someone who has experience. I mentioned Jim Benning a few weeks back. That's the kind of guy the Canucks need running this team.

Kinda scared by this. I liked Gillis and think ownership needs to back off and let him work.

I will say that the Van organization is getting a bad rep. Deserved too due to the goalie fiasco, Torts losing his mind this year and what not. Getting rid of Gillis might signal a change to the league. A respected guy like Linden stepping into any role would do good.

I was also wondering if Gillis was going to resign and ownership caught wind of it. If I was hired to manage a business and ownership kept getting in the way I would resign.

MG made some fantastic moves at the start of his career here and was a big reason why we went to the Cup final in 2011. No doubt a lot of the pieces were carry-overs from the Nonis era (Kesler, Sedins etc.) but MG turned what was a NW division winner into a two-time Presidents Trophy winner and a Cup contender for about 3 seasons.

Then for whatever reason he started getting fleeced on deals and looked like he made trades with no plan at all. He didn't handle the Schneider-Luongo situation well AT ALL which in all seriousness was a very easy debacle to fix. Boston had an almost identical situation - they got rid of Thomas and stuck with Rask, now they have the league's best team and who's likely to be a Vezina winner.

All MG had to do was either trade Luongo (which seemed almost impossible at the time) or trade Schneider earlier on instead of signing him to a contract. Instead, for whatever stupid reason, he trades both of them and gets next to nothing in return. For two top-10 NHL goalies, we should have received two top-6 forwards PLUS either some depth or prospects. Instead we get two A-grade prospects in Markstrom and Horvat, and a 3rd line center.

Worst of all, once he had finally decided on a rebuild and making this team younger, he only partially did the job. Trading Luongo was obviously a stupid move, but would be necessary for a TOTAL rebuild. Of course to do that he would have had to get rid of all our ageing former stars including Kesler, Edler and the twins. Now with Edler's NTC and management preventing any Kesler trade, MG really had his hands tied.

Now we sit with a huge mess - a team that doesn't know whether it wants to rebuild or play in its "window". Obviously that window has closed, and the Canucks need a new identity. We need to build around the young pieces we have and grow them. The Sedins, Kesler, Edler and Bieksa are no longer this team's core, they should be supporting players (and costly ones at that). Our new core has to be built around Jensen, Kassian, Horvat, Fox, Shinkaruk, Tanev, Corrado, Stanton, Lack and Markstrom. That is by all means a fantastic core of prospects who should all be broken into the league next season, but won't really hit their stride and peak for another few (up to 5) seasons which is really what we need to aim for now. Over that time span, wean our current core out and build around those prospects. That should be our new MG's plan.

Sorry Mike, you tried, but we needed a GM with experience, not an ex-agent.

Should never have tried to circumvent the cap, should have given Luongo a $6 million per, 5 year deal.

Ballard trade was bad too.

Might have been better off to trade Hodgson at the end of the season, instead of at the deadline.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Here's hoping we get someone good as a replacement.

I will seriously lose it if Feaster or Burke get hired. That would condemn the team to the basement for years.

Well there is a very good chance Feaster will be the GM he is the ultimate yes man.

Awesome news to hear. Gillis deserved to be canned.

I hope they find a good replacement. This is only the beginning of massive changes for the organization. The fun has yet to truly begin.

They better bring someone that is a proven winner and with experience.

If they end up replacing AV with Torts, and Gillis with Jay Feaster, then there is no other logical conclusion I can reach other than this being some twisted hockey version of The Producers. If they hire Feaster, they fully intend to fail.

10 weeks until the draft and 12 weeks until the compliance buyout needs to be decided and free agency starts and possible trades need to be made and the Canucks currently have nobody in place to make those decisions. Get ready for a bumpy few years folks...

Where we once were:

bx5yxru.jpg

It is called, a Career year.

edit

what's worse, MG hitching his wagon to the career years of many in the one glorious season and making out like it was "his plan".

I am thrilled that this circus act is over. 7th man/Lu as captain... which episode on the drama channel... bhaaa. Bye Gillis.

Sorry Mike, you tried, but we needed a GM with experience, not an ex-agent.

Should never have tried to circumvent the cap, should have given Luongo a $6 million per, 5 year deal.

Ballard trade was bad too.

Might have been better off to trade Hodgson at the end of the season, instead of at the deadline.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Here's hoping we get someone good as a replacement.

I will seriously lose it if Feaster or Burke get hired. That would condemn the team to the basement for years.

Zackery.

No idea what's gone on behind closed doors, though there seemed to be some distance between Mike and Torts. Not sure who is at fault given that (maybe both were) but I'm not a fan of throwing people to the wolves because season ticket renewal time is near. However, the Aquilinis can't expect success when Vancouverites won't even support the team.

Mike did a lot more good here than he gets credit for though. Trading Lu for Markstrom and Matthias was excellent and Schneids for Horvat was perfectly good IMO. People who expect more are Vancouver-centric and don't know what goalies even go for.

I think this firing is best explained this way:

Screen-Shot-2013-01-14-at-9.45.23-AM.png

Archived