The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He was fired for that abomination of a goat he's been sporting lol. Seriously, MG (like every other GM) had his good points and bad points. You do have to wonder if there really was some resentment among his colleagues due to his history as a players agent, there never seemed to be any players when we needed to make moves (something to keep in mind as Trevor used to be president of the NHLPA).

I don't think you can hang the "he lost the best goal-tending tandem for nothing" only on his mantle- there definitely were mitigating factors. Luongo's contract looked like a masterstroke at the time given his status in the game but the "goalposts moved" and the Canucks were punished for trying to circumvent the spirit of the CBA. That lead to his untradeability (coupled with Luongo's diminishing play) so moving Cory was the only option. Could we have gotten more, sure, but at that point we were trading from a position of weakness (and personally I don't think Schneider is that great of a goalie, he looked better when he had Luongo to cover his back- like every other goalie we had while Lu was here). At the end of the day Lu would still be here if Nutarella hadn't decided to bench him for the classic- so that one also hangs on Torts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a MG fanboy trying to defend the guy (in general I really couldn't care less about management, out of sight, out of mind is better in my opinion), but I think people are a bit off base chasing him out of town with pitchforks (chanting fire Gillis at a hockey game, really ?). There has been a gradual downturn since the 2011 finals but the biggest drop has been only this year- and the only thing that changed this year was the coach.

To people saying "he had to go", do you remember when they said that about Vigneault? Remember how that worked out for us?

Seems the Rangers are doing just fine with the guy that was "the" problem last year.

I'm happy that Vigneualt is gone. The Rangers won't make it far.

Trading Hodgson for Kassian at the deadline made a ton of sense.

I guess Kassian was all of a sudden going to be our version of Lucic and dominate physically.

Getting Sestito was a pointless move too. The guys a goon and takes costly penalties. I guess Gillis didn't learn with Bitz the first time.

That's it?

You claimed that Gillis tried to make the team play a tough grind em out game, and that it doesn't suit the Sedins and Burrows.

Gillis certainly didn't make the team do anything of the sort last year - "following the previous Cup winner" -AV followed the Cup loss to Boston with the same systems he employed the year before. The complaining around here generally consisted of claims that there was a lack of change.

It sounds like you're referring to Tortorella's approach this season - which unlike Vigneault's ability to adapt his style to the type of team and hockey his GM wanted to play - remained signature Tortorella. I don't buy the line that they were on the same page - it was pretty clear that Gillis felt otherwise. Anyhow, the tough, grind em out game remains and Gillis is gone.

one thing people fail to think about

in this disaster of a year, torts stood up and said he and his coaching staff failed, he didnt point fingers he didnt try and deflect

i ask all you mg apologists, when have you ever heard mg say he failed? when have you ever heard him say that he didn't make the deals he needed to, give his coaches the depth they needed etc?

instead he throws torts under the bus, this is after a year prior, he himself said after firing av, that this season was on him...and now that it is, like a tyical weasel lawyer he is, he tries to deflect again

i am glad that overweight, tomato faced, double chinned failure is gone

Am I sensing some slight displeasure with MG's time here?

Gillis had Kyle friggin Clifford as one of the prospects he would trade Hodgson for and a guy named Sutter..... the same Sutter that was the supposed center piece for the Kesler deal that the owners rejected at the TD (thankfully)..... Let that sink in a little bit.

So happy Gillis is gone and that the decision was made quickly to save us from his off season excuses.

That's it?

You claimed that Gillis tried to make the team play a tough grind em out game, and that it doesn't suit the Sedins and Burrows.

Gillis certainly didn't make the team do anything of the sort last year - "following the previous Cup winner" -AV followed the Cup loss to Boston with the same systems he employed the year before. The complaining around here generally consisted of claims that there was a lack of change.

It sounds like you're referring to Tortorella's approach this season - which unlike Vigneault's ability to adapt his style to the type of team and hockey his GM wanted to play - remained signature Tortorella. I don't buy the line that they were on the same page - it was pretty clear that Gillis felt otherwise. Anyhow, the tough, grind em out game remains and Gillis is gone.

Good/interesting point.

The style of play that Gillis tried to move to (which lead to our demise) stays.

Kind of interesting. Thanks ownership. Here we come McDavid.

Great decision and it couldn't have come any sooner. Mike gillis, being a former agent has made a lot of enemies in the NHL. It crippled us in the fact that a lot of GM's would not deal with him. He crippled us for the future by trading away future picks and prospects for players that never seemed to pan out. A lot of the signings he made that were great pick ups ( Garrison, Hamuis ) were players that were home town boys and a retarded monkey could have signed those players. The biggest trade he made that panned out was bringing in Chris Higgins and thats not saying much. He's shipped players out the likes of Schneider, Grabner, Hodgson and fired Alain Vigneault to save his job. Good ridence. The future is bright in Vancouver. Especially with the rumours of Linden taking the presidency.

one thing people fail to think about

in this disaster of a year, torts stood up and said he and his coaching staff failed, he didnt point fingers he didnt try and deflect

Torts stood up and claimed that his 'failure' was in not keeping his "foot on the pedal."

He denied that he overutilized his top line players. Not going to convince him of that.

He claimed that he and his GM were on the same page regarding systems and style of play. Apparently Gillis was on a different same page. Nope, no mismatched style of play here.

He used injuries and a lack of depth to explain his extremely top heavy, 3 line approach - but long before the injuries, Tortorella was scarcely using the fourth line.

Of course, this is without getting into his suspension or berating his players publicly.

So, be prepared to watch the same failures next year, because according to Tortorella, his failures were....not keeping his foot on the pedal.

I'm not really that interested in another season of the same with a little more gas.

made the playoffs 5 out of 6 years. SCF appearance, back to back presidents trophy winners, exc. The results point to him doing a good job. Just like the results of saying he had Lu & CS, and ended up with none are bad.

Its all just looking at results. When you bring up reasons and try to chop down what the positives results show, thats the same as me defending why some things happened with some of the circumstances, and trying to make the negative results seem a bit better.

I think we are both coming at it the same way from the opposite side.

Anyways I'm getting tired of defending Gillis. I'm not a fan of everythign he's done by anymeans but ownership is the true problem IMO.

The timing of it is just what really bugs me. I think last year would have been a better time to fire him than now. Or next year, I just really think with the new coach & how this team was in transition that it's the wrong time. Cause now I think instead of continuing with what Gillis was trying to do (go with the younger guys, and get back to the style that made us successful) thats all going to be scrapped and we are going to go with a full rebuild which will suck.

Yeah, probably fair assesment. He has got us into the playoffs 5 out of 6 years. He's also spent more money than any other Canuck Manager in history. If you just look at the numbers then MG actually looks quite good. My entire argument comes because we can't waste more time on him. We gave him the last 3 years to get some better calibre players, and fix obvious factors like getting a top 6 forward that can play with Kesler or the twins. He couldn't get it done or worse yet he might not even get it. He still seems to claim this core is good enough when we all know it's not. Whether he's just lying like usual or not is hard to tell. Either way I can't understand warranting him more time when all he's done is waste the last 3 years. I don't think he would have ever figured it out here but he'll probably learn quite a bit for next time.

Gillis was doing a good job with the media and fans?

Could have fooled me.

If anything he created a huge wedge between him and the media and turned them against the organization. He constantly questioned fans intelligence by spewing lawyer BS and using misdirection to avoid any sort of blame.

I've been a big Gillis supporter in the past, but I've had enough of him not being able to won up to his poor performance as GM. Time for a change whether for better or worse.

I hated the circus when Gillis threw Hodgson under the bus after he started to be criticized. Before that Gillis was hailed as a guy who ran a tight ship. Fat chance of running any tight ship in terms of media credibility after Torts headed to the Calgary dressing room.

He was in the process of trading the backbone of our franchise. A huge piece that we needed a good return on.

Then a lockout happens, in comes a new CBA, and Luongo's value is gone because of it. Is that Gillis's fault? No its not. He didn't back himself into a corner, goal posts where moved on him, and his hands were tied. The ownership group didn't want to retain salary & it forced him into trading Schneider. (I blamed ownership at the time of the trade, and I continue to blame them now)

I'm personally of the belief the lockout, and a subsequent change in the market were predictable. Well known objectives of the upcoming lockout. The penalty clause for backdiving contracts probably was an exception, a surprise? But spending heavily going into that situation was, and did have a predictable outcome.

Lou is a tough call. Would we have made it to the finals without giving him a $64 mill contract the summer before? Could we have gotten a decent goalie for $5.4 mill on a two year contract in July 2010 and continued to groom Schneider coming off a great AHL run...

I personally believe having made the investment, we should have backed it 100%. And traded Schneider a year or year and 1/2 earlier rather than let the goalie controversy brew. Perhaps for the rumoured Jeff Carter deal... To be fair, Lou was a bit of a wanker; taking the fat front end money then demanding a trade while dictating terms he would only go to one sunny destination... Not trying to contradict myself, of the things i think Gillis farked, ending up losing Lou after is not one. Lou had the cards cuz he certainly should not have been given $64 mill and an ntc. But carrying both goalies was still a mistake. $11.2 mill in goalie salary when we could have had Carter or filled other holes was not the best move IMO.

Ownership needs to get out of the way from here on out though.

Gillis made mistakes, and ownership jumped in and only made the situation worse rather than allowing Gillis to dust himself off and get back to what made him successful initially.

Whats done is done, MG is gone, the rebuild is likely to begin. I just hope Ownership stays out of the way from here on out, cause when ownership is heavily involved, thats when franchises can drop to the bottom of the league for long amounts of time.

Ownership needs to get out of the way from here on out though.

Gillis made mistakes, and ownership jumped in and only made the situation worse rather than allowing Gillis to dust himself off and get back to what made him successful initially.

Whats done is done, MG is gone, the rebuild is likely to begin. I just hope Ownership stays out of the way from here on out, cause when ownership is heavily involved, thats when franchises can drop to the bottom of the league for long amounts of time.

you have no clue that ownership is making decisions other than your conspiracy theory and idiotic media

let it go man

keep ignoring the source of the problems

oh and guess what, when you have 300 ml to buy an nhl franchise, and its sinking 3 years running, deeper and deeper, you might actually think about firing the guy running it too

thats why he has billions, cause he gets it you dont

Archived