The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mike Gillis Fired

Strombone1

Fan Poll  

324 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hm, so you're saying trading both schneider and luongo was not a bold move?

What's an example of a bold move DeNiro?

I'm down for Kesler, Bieksa, Edler, and Sedins to be traded so we can get younger and better.

Not at all. Especially holding onto both of them forever like a deer caught in the headlights. A bold move is when you do something agressive and controversial when it needs to be done. Not when your back is against the wall because you've completely mis-managed resources.

Not at all. Especially holding onto both of them forever like a deer caught in the headlights. A bold move is when you do something agressive and controversial when it needs to be done. Not when your back is against the wall because you've completely mis-managed resources.

I don't feel like Gillis's back was against the wall after Schneider was traded. So according to your statement, Gillis did make a bold move by trading Luongo when Gillis's back wasn't against the wall.

1) how long have you watched the Canucks for? Seriously? One of the worst?

2) I assume you're speculating that owners aren't

3) Speculation

4) Which one?

Keep on going, I could do this all day.

Offensively, yes it was one of the worst. Probably watched longer than you.

So I'm speculating that the owner's aren't meddling, but you saying they are is based on fact? You should work for fox news.

It was rumored by credible sources. Not speculation on my part. Either way we could have likely gotten more for Schneider at the time than a 9th overall pick.

The Ehrhoff trade.

Go ahead, and I'll keep shutting you down. ;)

When is the right time to replace him?

2 years ago we were out in 5 games, last year we were out in 4. This season was one of the worst in franchise history. Should we wait another season to see how bad he can really make the team?

People saying that ownership are trying to take control of the team are just speculating. No one on here can even pretend to know what's going on behind closed doors. Unless you think Botchford is credible.

Columbus was desperate for a goalie at the time and was rumored to be very interested in Schneider. Not wishful thinking at all, actually very likely. We may have needed to add, but it still would have likely put us over the top that year.

So now Gillis takes credit for all this teams success? That's laughable. The Sedins, Kesler, Luongo, and Burrows all led this team to the next level. Gillis can't even take credit for the coach that was in place. The only thing he can take credit for is a couple good signings, and one good trade. And based on his track record of trades since, it appears that one year was an anomaly.

HH did a pretty good job picking this apart.

all I'm going to say is, this was clearly a transition period for the franchise, transition periods happen in sports, we saw it with San Jose, We've seen it in Boston, in Tampa Bay, in other places.

When you transition, there is going to be a down year, San Jose looked to be aging and in the same spot as us with no future, and now look at them. Tampa Bay went to the ECF, ended up picking high in the draft the next 2 years, and now they look like a good team again, Boston was a competitive team, had some down years, got a high pick with Kessel, got some others, and grew into the powerhouse they are today.

How many times have DET transitioned with the same guy at the helm?

These things don't happen overnight. Gillis had the success to warrant giving him the time he needed. He had a model to start, he built the team up, had a peak, we should have won the cup & didn't, things happened and the direction of this team changed, then things changed again, and now (as you can tell by what he had been saying recently) he was going to get back to his original plan moving forward, and he wasn't given the opportunity.

Now, this team has no direction.

Wow, people are really buying his lawyer talk aren't they?

So Gillis can do no wrong I guess.

It's not his job to know that there was a new CBA coming up and there was a good chance of long term contracts being eliminated. They were only talking about it years before hand. Nope, definitely not the job of the GM to have foresight...

.............. So what do you propose he had done???? Asked ownership to buy him out??? What is your suggestion for getting around that. He & the ownership group did something everyone else did.

And before you say not signing the contract, Ownership had to sign off on it, and had a say in it I'm sure.

Follow my posts and you'd know I've been criticizing him for the last 2 seasons. ;)

Still sore from our argument before?

Follow my posts and you'd know I've been criticizing him for the last 2 seasons. ;)

Still sore from our argument before?

Did we have an argument before? You'll have to refresh me.

I don't bother to follow your posts that closely - I'm never quite sure where your flip-flopping position will land at any given time.

lol at these Gillis supporters that are still defending him.

It's really pretty remarkable.

I don't know how people can still defend him after the last two seasons.

I supported him alot early on, but he's only continued to disappoint me. It's time for a new leader up top, because they're not firing the owners.

Things simply don't add up.

Ownership filing lawsuits denying they had a say in the Tortorella hiring? Really?

And yet Tortorella remains after a horrible season in which he was suspended for losing absolute control and judgement - and then lost his team altogether - and he outlasts his GM.

What was the plan when AV was fired? Whose decision was that btw? Whose plan was it to bring in Tortorella? Was that Mike Gillis' plan?

Are we supposed to believe it was also MG's idea to offer Tortorella a five year deal? What leverage did Tortorella have to command a term like that?

If Torts were a Gillis hire, wouldn't they be a package fire?

What is the plan now?

You don't just go and fire the head coach you just signed the year before for 5 years unless you want to look like a bunch of retards. Also only if you like throwing money away. I don't buy this crap about the owners meddling. There is yet to be a shred of proof, in fact all evidence or statements are of the exact opposite nature. I really don't know what you guys expect out of Torts, he screwed up in Cagary and other than that people are calling for his head as if this was so completely obvious, but yet everyone involved was so stupid they hired him for 5 years. Good grief, give me a break. The spinning is great on this one.

Offensively, yes it was one of the worst. Probably watched longer than you.

So I'm speculating that the owner's aren't meddling, but you saying they are is based on fact? You should work for fox news.

It was rumored by credible sources. Not speculation on my part. Either way we could have likely gotten more for Schneider at the time than a 9th overall pick.

The Ehrhoff trade.

Go ahead, and I'll keep shutting you down. ;)

Yes because we judge a season by how many goals we score in one season....

I never said i'm basing it on a fact. All I'm saying is that you think the owners aren't getting involved which is speculation

Because credible sources never get things wrong.

Higgins, Lapierre, Kassian, Booth + Ballard + Roy( at the time),

Did we have an argument before? You'll have to refresh me.

I don't bother to follow your posts that closely - I'm never quite sure where your flip-flopping position will land at any given time.

Clearly you do since you claim to know that I'm a Gillis supporter... :lol:

And yes, I can change my opinion. Amazing ability, that I encourage everyone to learn.

CDC basicially for 2 years:

FIRE GILLIS!

Now that he's fired:

WHAT A MISTAKE, OWNERS ARE GREEDY!!!

IMO, Gillis has done a good job. I think that he has done some very good stuff and then some bad stuff. Sometimes i do feel that the negatives outweigh the positives and sometimes i feel the exact opposite.

His job was a 7/10.

Now if we can get Nicholson and Linden, omg the amount of respect that other teams would have for our management would be unreal. No one would try to out do us then.

Feaster's Blunders;

- Signing of Vinny Lecavailer to 11 year 85 million deal

- Drafting Record with Tampa Bay http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00008385.html (2002-2008)

- Only players to have any success in the 6 years (aside from Steven Stamkos): Paul Ranger and Nick Tarnasky

- Jerome Iginla trade

- Jay Bouwmeester trade

- Ryan O'Reilly offer sheet

- Draft record with Calgary albeit very early

- Mark Jankowski and Sven Baertschi

How about the 7.8 mil per deal for Richards? He was an RFA!

Clearly you do since you claim to know that I'm a Gillis supporter... :lol:

And yes, I can change my opinion. Amazing ability, that I encourage everyone to learn.

Actually, what I said is that you're all of a sudden his most outspoken critic.

Call it "amazing ability" if you need to.

HH did a pretty good job picking this apart.

How many times have DET transitioned with the same guy at the helm?

These things don't happen overnight. Gillis had the success to warrant giving him the time he needed. He had a model to start, he built the team up, had a peak, we should have won the cup & didn't, things happened and the direction of this team changed, then things changed again, and now (as you can tell by what he had been saying recently) he was going to get back to his original plan moving forward, and he wasn't given the opportunity.

Now, this team has no direction.

.............. So what do you propose he had done???? Asked ownership to buy him out??? What is your suggestion for getting around that. He & the ownership group did something everyone else did.

And before you say not signing the contract, Ownership had to sign off on it, and had a say in it I'm sure.

He really didn't "pick it apart" but okay.

First of all, this team is in a transition period because Gillis failed from 2008 to 2010 to draft any players that could be put in the lineup to help keep us competitive. That's on him.

Detroit is one of the best organizations in the NHL. To compare Gillis and the Canucks to them is embarrassing for them. For the average team, there's a shelf life for a GM, and ours appeared to reach his.

Yes you're right things changed. Which was Gillis' idea of how to build a team. He even admitted himself that he let the team get away from the way he wanted them to play. He let that happen the day he traded Hodgson and Ehrhoff. Trading skill for toughness is what killed this team.

This team had no direction under Gillis, don't kid yourself.

He should have traded Schneider when he had the chance knowing that he was the more moveable asset and that moving Luongo would be alot trickier. Both goalies were just as good, but one had more value and was easier to trade. It was really a simpler solution than you're pretending it was. We would still have Lu, and Lack if he had done things the right way.

He could have always put a limited no trade clause in it with a contract that massive. Not that hard.

Archived