The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

www.thescore.com/news/502601

http://www.thescore.com/news/502601

FRIEDMAN: BRUINS COULD CLOSE ASSISTANT GM BENNING'S HIRING WINDOW SHORTLY

The Vancouver Canucks, who fired Mike Gillis as general manager in early April, have been linked closely to Boston Bruins assistant general manager Jim Benning for months.

Benning played for Vancouver and with Canucks president of hockey operations Trevor Linden during his playing career, and has been widely considered the front-runner to fill the Canucks' general manager vacancy. It's been presumed that the only reason Benning hasn't already assumed the job is that he hasn't really been available to hire. After all, his current employer was engaged in the Stanley Cup playoffs until very recently.

Following Boston's elimination on Wednesday night, Benning is expected to be made available for hire in the coming week. He may not be available for long, however, as CBC's Elliotte Friedman explained on Thursday night in an appearance on the "Scott Rintoul Show":

The one thing I had heard, though I've yet to check it and I was waiting for the right time, is that I believe the Bruins are going to close Jim Benning's window at some point, and I would assume that's going to be very soon.

They did that with Buffalo - they said "if you want to hire him, you have a certain amount of time, and then we're pulling the chute because we have to move on." I think Boston will do that again with Benning, where they might say "we're closing the window if you don't make the hire by then" and I would assume that would be soon because they've got to make their draft plans. And also because I think we're going to hear another of Boston's employees, Don Sweeney, come up in conversation and I don't think the Bruins will want to lose two guys.

No way would of happen by now its almost two days and other teams probaly will scoop him up or will stay in boston. More media lies to get people to talk about something

Its to late

it hasn't even been 24 hours yet fact

it hasn't been 2 days it hasn't even been a day yet

Sorry, however to expect an announcement the very next day after a team has been eliminated is not likely to happen. Lots has to be approved and negotiated with the Bruins, it's not like Linden can just walk in and say, "I'm taking Benning and have a nice day." ;)

If he is their top option, they'll likely have a number of details lined up so they can be worked out fairly quickly. Benning will certainly have some things to tie up with the Bruins if he does want the job, then he can tackle the specifics and work that out over the next week.

I'm not certain but I think he was being facetious.

You give him too much credit. Unless it's been an act this whole time, but I don't think so.

Imagine if the Canadiens had Luongo in net instead of Price in this series? It would be Boston advancing instead LOL. What a difference it makes having an elite goalie who can play his A game consistently when it matters the most.

imagine if the refs called our series like this one? we wouldn't be so angry all the time...

This is why this forum is so polarizing.

15 year olds

adults who post like 15 year olds unknowingly

adults who post like 15 year olds knowingly ahahha

His Bio says he just turned 14 recently-ish. Cut the poor child a break. He's barely in the throes of puberty and may still be wondering why he still has hair "growing down there".

Sorry "Bure to Mogilny", I couldn't resist piling on... ^_^

Apparently Boston will have bonus penalties of around 4 million dollars added to their cap next season because of Iginlas's contract.

Plus some bonuses earned by Krug and Hamilton.

So in the end they'll end up getting stuck with a cap hit twice the amount Iginla was paid this season while he becomes a UFA.

Apparently Boston will have bonus penalties of around 4 million dollars added to their cap next season because of Iginlas's contract.

So in the end they'll end up getting stuck with a cap hit twice the amount Iginla was paid this season while he becomes a UFA.

Ouch! I'd feel bad for them, but it's Boston, so I'm going to enjoy watching them having to jettison a decent player or two because they tried to cheat.

Boston has been a product of favoritism long enough that they probably think that they can get away with murder.

sweet. now when the Canucks sign Iginla this offseason ... "The Next Hossa'

He has $4.2M in performance bonuses on his contract, but no idea what the qualifications are for attaining them. Just how much they'll have to defer while still bringing players back (and adding 4 more players to their roster for next year) is up in the air until we get the final numbers.

sweet. now when the Canucks sign Iginla this offseason ... "The Next Hossa'

I could see us going after him in free agency if we do make significant trades in our forwards like Kesler, otherwise I don't see where he'd fit. but if he did:

Iginla Horvat Kassian?

Shinkaruk Horvat Iginla?

Burrows Horvat Iginla?

He has $4.2M in performance bonuses on his contract, but no idea what the qualifications are for attaining them. Just how much they'll have to defer while still bringing players back (and adding 4 more players to their roster for next year) is up in the air until we get the final numbers.

I could see us going after him in free agency if we do make significant trades in our forwards like Kesler, otherwise I don't see where he'd fit. but if he did:

Iginla Horvat Kassian?

Shinkaruk Horvat Iginla?

Burrows Horvat Iginla?

or, you know, he could be the tough, right handed sniper that goes to the dirty areas that the sedins have been waiting a decade for.

Imagine if the Canadiens had Luongo in net instead of Price in this series? It would be Boston advancing instead LOL. What a difference it makes having an elite goalie who can play his A game consistently when it matters the most.

That is a pretty low blow ..

Archived