The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Sammuelson was expendable at the point he was traded, even though im not a Booth fan at all. Letting Ehrhoff go was all money related. Keeping Ballard over him was nuts though. I remember a lot of CDCer's wanted to keep Ballard over Ehrhoff.... shows you the level of competence in here.

Canucks offered Ehrhoff 4.6 million for 6 years and he turned it down. Ehrhoff want longer term then 6 and a front loaded deal. canucks didn't want to give that to him and made the smart move to send him packing. He wouldn't have solved this teams issues anyway and we would have been stuck with a 10 year deal.

Concussions are like when a computer gets dropped a few times- maybe there was a problem before with the computer but dropping it creates a whole new set of issues and compounds existing issues.

A player that can no longer cognitively function at the highest levels often begins experiencing/accumulating other injuries.

It's really slowing crosby down this year.....

Speaking for experience with concussion related symptoms, once your symptoms are gone, there is zero effect on your game. ZERO. If is it effecting a person’s game dizziness/ waking up with headaches, then that player would / should not be playing as it can great effect the rest of their lives. The only way it could affect you would be mentally playing scared about getting hit again. But that is a mental effect and not a concussion related symptoms.

Obviously Gillis made some questionable decisions but people are crucifying him because of their 20/20 hindsight

We can only look forward, not back. Mistakes were made but that's always true of everything. There is no advantage to worrying about it now. It's really just watercooler talk of no bearing in the future.

Some people talk as if we are an expansion team with zero organizational assets which I think couldn't be further from the truth. We have great clay to work with if our GM is up to the task. We aren't as bad off as many say.

I believe JB is correct. This will be a fairly quick turnaround.

Obviously Gillis made some questionable decisions but people are crucifying him because of their 20/20 hindsight

Gillis got crucified the minute he traded Schneider, and he deserved every bit of the criticism. That trade alone should have been enough to get him fired on the spot.

We can only look forward, not back. Mistakes were made but that's always true of everything. There is no advantage to worrying about it now. It's really just watercooler talk of no bearing in the future.

Some people talk as if we are an expansion team with zero organizational assets which I think couldn't be further from the truth. We have great clay to work with if our GM is up to the task. We aren't as bad off as many say.

I believe JB is correct. This will be a fairly quick turnaround.

The sooner this Canucks fan base puts Gillis, Tort's et all into the rear view mirror, the better .. trust Linden, Benning and Team to learn from the mistakes of the past, thus allowing us to wallow in optimism ..

I, for one, love to literally 'swim in optimism' .. I think we just might win the Cup in my lifetime ..

The logical choice would've been to trade Ballard for a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick then just give Ehrhoff Ballard's $4.2 million or whatever it was.

And if Ehrhoff still wouldn't have signed for anything close to what we were offering, but stuck to trying to get closer to what he has now? How about if Ballard can't be traded for anything useful in return, would a 6th or 7th be fine to accept in trying to keep Ehrhoff?

But I think there's a lot of reading into Benning's comments after his presser. And that's fine, since it's a discussion forum, but I didn't see all those same things others say they're seeing in Benning's comments.

For instance, with Kesler: that's a player the media was asking about because of the rumours this year so of course he'll say he was planning to meet with him. Same with Linden commenting on it, he didn't offer up the comment without first being prompted. Anyone else think they might be meeting with the other players too, and this is just one meeting of many?

Certainly there might be a little more attention on Kesler to make sure everything is ok after the rumours around the deadline/olympics/etc., but that hardly means Kesler for sure still wants out. The same goes for any other comments, where they're so general at this point they can only be used as guides for what potnetial action Benning (and Linden) might take.

Seems to be no urgency from Benning and Linden when they said coaching search would begin some time this week, especially with Trotz possibly going to Washington.

Pretty much tells you that Trotz was never going to be the Canucks coach...

The sooner this Canucks fan base puts Gillis, Tort's et all into the rear view mirror, the better .. trust Linden, Benning and Team to learn from the mistakes of the past, thus allowing us to wallow in optimism ..

I, for one, love to literally 'swim in optimism' .. I think we just might win the Cup in my lifetime ..

Agreed....Isn't this a Benning thread..?...Time to put Gillis and Torts in the rear view mirror.

Archived