The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Bottom line is that when Gillis left this org it a lot deeper than when Nonis was fired. Deep enough no. Some moves that did not work.

My reservation about Gillis was always that he was a player agent. It created a conflict.

Bottom line is that when Gillis left this org it a lot deeper than when Nonis was fired. Deep enough no. Some moves that did not work.

My reservation about Gillis was always that he was a player agent. It created a conflict.

Strongly disagree. Nonis left us the Sedins and Kesler just entering their prime,. GIllis left us with one of the worst defensemen in the NHL making 5 million with a NTC, along with eating cap-hit for a player who isn't even on the team. Gillis did an absolutely terrible job and it's going take a long time to undo the long-term damage he caused for this franchise.

Just caught this on TSN. Good interview with Jim and TSN. I noticed how he didn't mention Kesler, or Edler as a part of the core. Looks like he wants to hire a coach that wants to play an up-tempo style, and wants to get bigger, but play a fast, skilled game also more like a Chicago brand.

http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/TD_...ning_May27.mp3

That was a good interview.

Thanks for finding that.

"I'm very appreciative for what this organization has done for me in the short two years I have been here," he said. "Like I said many times before, I like the group of guys, I like where this team is going and we were very close this year and I think we can be a very good team for years to come and I'd definitely like to be part of that."

Compared to the 2011 post-Stanley Cup locker-room clearout where he was non-committal about coming back.

Strongly disagree. Nonis left us the Sedins and Kesler just entering their prime,. GIllis left us with one of the worst defensemen in the NHL making 5 million with a NTC, along with eating cap-hit for a player who isn't even on the team. Gillis did an absolutely terrible job and it's going take a long time to undo the long-term damage he caused for this franchise.

Seriously again?

Heff....just stop. It's old it's tired and you're seriously starting to look like a petty teenager with a real issue with attention issues.

To call him one of the worst D men in the league at his cap hit is so juvenile stupid and petty as to be nothing mroe than a complete troll job.

Go out get a hug and come back when you're calmed down

You do realize that Burke drafted the Sedins and Kesler right? Oh by the way, "one of the worst defensemen in the NHL" was drafted by Nonis

Edler isn't normally one of the worst but he was last year, and at 5 mil, id take a rookie with some speed and les cap hit. Edler was signed after a really good year for him and if he kept those numers he'd be worth it. I hope we trade him or he gets back to the top of his game.

Gillis left us a prospect pool. Nonis did not. So pretty sure this 'long-term damage' isn't as bad as you think.

Meanwhile, it doesn't matter who the GM is when the core ages. There will be a downturn no matter what.

Meanwhile, Edler was a top-pairing guy for Team Sweden? Maybe he's not one of the worst d-men in the NHL.

Edler isn't normally one of the worst but he was last year, and at 5 mil, id take a rookie with some speed and les cap hit. Edler was signed after a really good year for him and if he kept those numers he'd be worth it. I hope we trade him or he gets back to the top of his game.

They arent trading Edler. You dont trade a guy when his value is at an all time low its moronic.

Gillis left us a prospect pool. Nonis did not. So pretty sure this 'long-term damage' isn't as bad as you think.

Meanwhile, it doesn't matter who the GM is when the core ages. There will be a downturn no matter what.

Meanwhile, Edler was a top-pairing guy for Team Sweden? Maybe he's not one of the worst d-men in the NHL.

The epitome of a bell curve. Terrific in his first 3 years and then all down hill. His role as a player agent definitely compromised his judgement. That signing was so unbelievably stupid. It just explemplified MG's stubborn, eogtistical God complex behavior in that he couldn't let any player go because he was also acting as everyone's agent. In a perfect world we all get NTC's and live on the beach but even the little babies that make $5 million dollars a year should have to try in life every once in a while. I hope to hell that country club is gone.

They arent trading Edler. You dont trade a guy when his value is at an all time low its moronic.

Unless of course you can do simple math in your head and realize this is hockey and not a stock market portfolio, then you realize it doesn't matter and just fix the problem. Keeping a player that you don't want on your roster for a year or 3, in order to maximize value, is just plain dumb.

That signing was so unbelievably stupid. It just explemplified MG's stubborn, eogtistical God complex behavior in that he couldn't let any player go because he was also acting as everyone's agent.

:blink: WAT?

Not a day goes by someone on CDC isn't complaining about how he let Ehrhoff, Salo, Torres, Lappierre, Schneider etc, etc "go".

You guys really need to pin down what exactly it is you hated about MG because right now it's a constant stream of contradicting inaccuracies. Seriously have a group meeting or something and get your silly agenda straight.

Better yet, have a group support meeting about recognizing that big, bad MG is in fact gone and he can't hurt you anymore. Move on people.

Not a day goes by someone on CDC isn't complaining about how he let Ehrhoff, Salo, Torres, Lappierre, Schneider etc, etc "go".

You guys really need to pin down what exactly it is you hated about MG because right now it's a constant stream of contradicting inaccuracies. Seriously have a group meeting or something and get your silly agenda straight.

Better yet, have a group support meeting about recognizing that big, bad MG is in fact gone and he can't hurt you anymore. Move on people.

Some folks here will blame the next Tsunami on Gillis just so they can maintain 'position' .. :P

Methinks they doth protest too much. It's like they actually love him but are in denial.

Archived