The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

Horrible mistake by Linden. Wrong move by the Canucks organization in general. Justifies the actions (or in this case) the NON actions of our core group and bolsters the fact that they were right and all the coaches (and a good number of the fans) were wrong. It's obvious that Linden (and all of us) are stuck with this lazy ass core for the foreseeable future thanks to all of the ridiculous NTC's handed out by MG. Obvious the players aren't going to waive either. Guess we'll never really know the whole story about what Torts was promised by MG when he was hired. Too bad. Sad for Torts being thrown under the bus like he is. Looks like the same old, same old, for next season coupled with the fact that it looks like Linden will be hiring a new coach that is great in the regular season (McLennan) but can't for the life of him get his team past the first or second round of the playoffs. Oh. Sorry. He did get to the conference finals one year. Our Canucks beat him. Go Figure. No wonder I don't watch too much Canucks hockey anymore. So done with this core. More pond hockey and more "cycle the puck" in 2014-1015. Oh joy I can hardly wait.

:(

san jose went to the conference finals in consecutive years actually.

and changing the coach and changing the core aren't mutually exclusive. in fact, in order to add pieces through free agency after trading core assets for futures, getting rid of torts was necessary. same with attracting a decent gm.

Horrible mistake by Linden. Wrong move by the Canucks organization in general. Justifies the actions (or in this case) the NON actions of our core group and bolsters the fact that they were right and all the coaches (and a good number of the fans) were wrong. It's obvious that Linden (and all of us) are stuck with this lazy ass core for the foreseeable future thanks to all of the ridiculous NTC's handed out by MG. Obvious the players aren't going to waive either. Guess we'll never really know the whole story about what Torts was promised by MG when he was hired. Too bad. Sad for Torts being thrown under the bus like he is. Looks like the same old, same old, for next season coupled with the fact that it looks like Linden will be hiring a new coach that is great in the regular season (McLennan) but can't for the life of him get his team past the first or second round of the playoffs. Oh. Sorry. He did get to the conference finals one year. Our Canucks beat him. Go Figure. No wonder I don't watch too much Canucks hockey anymore. So done with this core. More pond hockey and more "cycle the puck" in 2014-1015. Oh joy I can hardly wait.

Or... perhaps you were just plain wrong?

it looks like Linden will be hiring a new coach that is great in the regular season (McLennan) but can't for the life of him get his team past the first or second round of the playoffs.

This sentiment makes me laugh.

We constantly hear this criticism of AV, saying he was a great regular season coach, but couldn't get it done in the playoffs...

...yet we have these same critics stating that we should've kept Torts, pointing out that he did a great job for half a season....

Where'd the signature smiley face go?

Sounds like all of a sudden you've got a case of grumpy cat blood-type..... B negative.

Btw - what convinces you Linden will be hiring McLellan, and what convinces you there won't be any other changes? Did you read Linden's statement?

Don't know why everybody thinks Torts is so done already. Linden has always stated that he would base his decision on interviews with players AND COACHES after the season is over. Obviously this process will start on Monday. Personally I think it would be a major disservice to Torts to simply dismiss him out of hand, and rather stupid on Linden's part NOT to garner as much info as possible from a person I consider to be VERY knowledgeable about the game. (Torts)

Really can't see how Torts can be blamed for inheriting a team that was already on a downward slide (1 win in their last 11 playoff games) and exposing them for what they really are. A team of aging veterans that were babied and coddled for AV for 7 years, and now can't play the game the way the "new" NHL wants it to be played. We all seem to forget how well they played in December and early January (before the injuries hit) when they finally bought into Torts "system". To me that was VERY exciting "up tempo" hockey with great transition and pace. Torts only went to the defensive style when injuries dictated he do so. Besides he has already admitted his fault in not returning to the more up tempo style (more quickly) after the injuries returned.

Lastly. I put the blame squarely on the shoulders of Mike Gillis for hiring a coach that was not suited to our current team and for failing to supply Torts with the proper players for his so called style. Obviously Gillis has already paid the ultimate price for that mistake. Don't think Torts should pay the same price for simply doing what he was hired to do. Besides, if the team is going to change (younger, bigger, faster, stronger) over the summer, who better than to coach that team at least for one more year? I say Torts is the man.

Absolutely correct. Torts is The Man. He was a great coach for this team this season. All ther stinkers on this board who slight Torts dont know what it takes to put it all together and make it happen. It was a process and now Linden will have to bare some hard realities about the difficult situation this teams ion moving forward.

Or... perhaps you were just plain wrong?

Could very well be, but if the core remains basically the same, even Scotty Bowman could not resurrect this team and I have a bad feeling we'll be rehashing this thread and having the same discussion this time next year. Hope I'm wrong.

Where'd the signature smiley face go?

Sounds like all of a sudden you've got a case of grumpy cat blood-type..... B negative.

Btw - what convinces you Linden will be hiring McLellan, and what convinces you there won't be any other changes? Did you read Linden's statement?

Tell me what Linden can really change thanks to MG and his rather lengthy, NTC contracts? Couple that with the fact that players have already stated they won't waive their NTC anyways. Looks like we are stuck with what we have give or take a few rookies possibly making the team. IMHO we need a new top 6 for Line 1 and Line 2 as well as an Erhoff type to bolster our defence. Hard to get that when you only have 5.6 million to play with and the current players you might possibly might want to move don't want to move. No smiley face for that, as well as the fact that I have no doubt that we will all be back here at the same time next year discussing the same old, same old, with our tired, aging, stale core, that will have (again) told us that they still feel they can get back to playing the way they know how to play.

As far as McLennan goes, that was just speculation in regards to him possibly being available after this years epic playoff collapse. A thought that was also shared by Farhan Lalji this morning on TSN. Hey who knows maybe Hitchcock might be available as well. I certainly take either or over Torts, but then when I started this thread both were still in the playoff hunt so their availability or the possibility thereof was a moot point.

:)

Tell me what Linden can really change thanks to MG and his rather lengthy, NTC contracts? Couple that with the fact that players have already stated they won't waive their NTC anyways. Looks like we are stuck with what we have give or take a few rookies possibly making the team. IMHO we need a new top 6 for Line 1 and Line 2 as well as an Erhoff type to bolster our defence. Hard to get that when you only have 5.6 million to play with and the current players you might possibly might want to move don't want to move. No smiley face for that, as well as the fact that I have no doubt that we will all be back here at the same time next year discussing the same old, same old, with our tired, aging, stale core, that will have (again) told us that they still feel they can get back to playing the way they know how to play.

As far as McLennan goes, that was just speculation in regards to him possibly being available after this years epic playoff collapse. A thought that was also shared by Farhan Lalji this morning on TSN. Hey who knows maybe Hitchcock might be available as well. I certainly take either or over Torts, but then when I started this thread both were still in the playoff hunt so their availability or the possibility thereof was a moot point.

Other than Bieksa saying that he wouldn't want to leave, have other players actually stated that they wouldn't waive their NTCs?

Lets skip aside Linden for a minute and just focus on the Tortorella firing alone...

There's a couple things outta place with this firing. First, his hiring was made into a huge deal where the media had a frenzy.

The amount of time and resources this organization put into the week Torts was hired was big. They had hours and hours of pressers and interviews, not to mention the Gillis Torts duo that took fan questions at BC Place. In fact MG pointed at Torts and said himself "this is the reset".

Second, they made a huge investment. Thats 4 years and 8 million. Not chump change. Who's gonna pay for that, the ticketholder? This tells the fan that this organization lacks in making decisions with a long term vision.

It also seems like Torts was used more by the media way beyond what is customarily accepted. They spent so much time trying to get him to reassure them of his "PR remake" than imaginable. And for what? To have continuous speculation on your future and piles of criticism with regard to how they think he should coach.

I think at this point they should have kept Gillis for the remainder of his contract and Torts for that matter, and slashed the payroll. This team doesn't seem to have a long term vision. They make dumb mistakes with regard to inflated LTC's, NTC's, and buyouts, with players, coaches and managers.

This whole Tortorella signing then disposal is all at the benefit of the media and not the fans. it almost seems like the media craves such instability but if this organization hasnt realized how expensive that is, then they should real fast. When is this team going to wake up and get organized?

This whole Tortorella signing then disposal is all at the benefit of the media and not the fans. it almost seems like the media craves such instability but if this organization hasnt realized how expensive that is, then they should real fast. When is this team going to wake up and get organized?

:blink: What????? :unsure:

I think at this point they should have kept Gillis for the remainder of his contract and Torts for that matter, and slashed the payroll. This team doesn't seem to have a long term vision. They make dumb mistakes with regard to inflated LTC's, NTC's, and buyouts, with players, coaches and managers.

Point 1 did not happen because of point 2 and 3. They were Gillis' responsibility and he failed.

Archived