The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The "I would like to see Torts stay for at least one more year" thread.

SuperReverb2

The way I interpreted it at the time was that Gillis hired Torts as the fix for the team and Aqua went along with that. Given that coaching wasn't the problem there was only one other answer which was the team. The team being the GM's responsibility so Gillis was fired.

can u go away?

Just say NO! Thanks anyway though...

:)

Yeah, there's a big risk with Trotz.

He might get a hell of a lot more out of the blueline, the core, and the depth on the team, and all the youth culture tank for McDavid dream club wouldn't get the clearing house they wished for.

Todd McClellen (if the Kings take out the Sharks)

Adam Oates

Dan Blysma (If CBJ takes out Pens)

Barry Trotz

John Stevens

Mike Johnston (Winterhawks)

Marc Crawford

Dan Bylsma seems to be losing the Pens locker room at times. I think we need a coach that can get the players going and bring the best out of the players

Frankly, I'd be ok if Torts was demoted to Assistant coach because I do believe he is a decent motivator and is very good with certain players. He should not be making any systems or strategic decisions.

Hire a guy like John Stevens for head coach and keep Gulutzan around for support. Jettison Sullivan asap.

If Torts can't handle being put on the 4th line then he'd be a bit of a hypocrite.

Frankly, I'd be ok if Torts was demoted to Assistant coach because I do believe he is a decent motivator and is very good with certain players. He should not be making any systems or strategic decisions.

Hire a guy like John Stevens for head coach and keep Gulutzan around for support. Jettison Sullivan asap.

If Torts can't handle being put on the 4th line then he'd be a bit of a hypocrite.

The honest coach exposed the team for what it is; a weak team in perpetual decline who cannot close a game in the third period.

Calls for reinforcement, none come at the trade deadline besides Matthias. Nothing against Matthias, but With Luongo gone, the hole created cannot be ignored.

He singlehandedly whips the media into shape.

He has gotten into Kassian's head and started to turn him into a future power forward.

The only morale he's done is try to make the Sedins play a game they don't play. The Sedins and Burrows are getting up there in he and should be left to play the game they know.

That said, all other players can follow the Tortorella system. That would only emphasize the Sedins' play if they go back to their old ways.

The honest coach exposed the team for what it is; a weak team in perpetual decline who cannot close a game in the third period.

Calls for reinforcement, none come at the trade deadline besides Matthias. Nothing against Matthias, but With Luongo gone, the hole created cannot be ignored.

He has gotten into Kassian's head and started to turn him into a future power forward.

The only morale he's done is try to make the Sedins play a game they don't play.

That said, all other players can follow the Tortorella system. That would only emphasize the Sedins' play if they go back to their old ways.

I find it hilarious that people try to make the fact that he got the least out of this players into some kind of selling point, as if "exposing" the team or roster is a positive. That is classic doublethink. You're outsmarting yourself here - and if the point is to move some players, it is still exceedingly counterproductive from a trade value perspective. Lose lose thinking imo.

Kassian didn't need his head gotten into - he's been on a steady development trajectory from day 1 - trying to credit Torts as if he is working magic here is over-stated.

The idea that only the Sedins are a mismatch for "the Tortorella system" is very oversimplified and ignores how few players actually had a par season under him.

Yeah...pretty sure his job is to expose OTHER teams weaknesses. Not his own :picard:

When the team isn't built for the new Pacific Division, yes; it was exposed for what it is. The team is closer to Calgary than Los Angeles and I don't mean by geographical location.

Archived