The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MDSF: (1) Pittsburgh Penguins vs (4) Columbus Blue Jackets

Who will win the series?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

you clearly dont remember the 2 runs they had... the one they didnt win the cup fleury was amazing ... the year they won ... he wasnt great but he was amazing in the finals when it counted.... fleury was damn near the only reason they made it to the finals the first time... and was a huge reason they sealed the deal the second time... and they have never had good D just good offensive defensemen ..

His points still remain valid.

This is MAF's 8th playoff appearance. In 5 of those years his save percentage was below .900%. For the record he is holding above at .903% now but could still drop below and make it 6 of 8 years. Even if you criticize the Penguins defense those numbers are still extremely bad and the year they won a cup MAF was bailed out before they even made it by the surrounding team something many goalies don't get after they have a lousy series.

His point that they should have more than 1 cup since then is valid as Fleury has since butchered them and cost them games and series. It is hard to argue that many goalies would have done a worse job.

I do also feel he is overrated. MAF has been mentioned as one of the better goalies in the NHL throughout the years but his playoff history is not all that different looking than Bryzgalov's. I know this is theoretical but if you took MAF off the Penguins and put him on another team do you feel confident that carries any other team to a cup?

Though I am also in disagreement with your evaluation of the Penguins defense from past to present. The Penguins were much more rounded on defense when they won the cup and not an offense based defense. Hal Gill, Rob Scuderi, Mark Eaton, and Brooks Orpik were not offense based. 3 were defense based defenders and 1 was a physical defender. The only offense based defenders they had were Gonchar and Letang and to Gonchar's credit he was not a defensive liability and Letang was used according to a need sometimes seeing as little as 16 minutes a game.

His points still remain valid.

This is MAF's 8th playoff appearance. In 5 of those years his save percentage was below .900%. For the record he is holding above at .903% now but could still drop below and make it 6 of 8 years. Even if you criticize the Penguins defense those numbers are still extremely bad and the year they won a cup MAF was bailed out before they even made it by the surrounding team something many goalies don't get after they have a lousy series.

His point that they should have more than 1 cup since then is valid as Fleury has since butchered them and cost them games and series. It is hard to argue that many goalies would have done a worse job.

I do also feel he is overrated. MAF has been mentioned as one of the better goalies in the NHL throughout the years but his playoff history is not all that different looking than Bryzgalov's. I know this is theoretical but if you took MAF off the Penguins and put him on another team do you feel confident that carries any other team to a cup?

Though I am also in disagreement with your evaluation of the Penguins defense from past to present. The Penguins were much more rounded on defense when they won the cup and not an offense based defense. Hal Gill, Rob Scuderi, Mark Eaton, and Brooks Orpik were not offense based. 3 were defense based defenders and 1 was a physical defender. The only offense based defenders they had were Gonchar and Letang and to Gonchar's credit he was not a defensive liability and Letang was used according to a need sometimes seeing as little as 16 minutes a game.

his point isn't valid... he said any goalie couldve won the cup that year and he was carried.... 13 of his 16 wins were 2 or less goals against.... when he didnt play well pitt lost so how is that exactly getting bailed out by your team?? and he was a brick wall for 4 games in the finals vs detroit .....

^^^^^ funny how that picture left off the 07-08 playoffs..... .933 S% 1.97 GAA 14 wins.. and im not even a fan of fleury i just think the heat he gets is ridiculous.... the man has had a bad 4 minutes so far in this series.. and thats all people want to hang their hat on..... crosby malkin kunitz neal scuderi and letang are combined for 2 goals 9 assists and a -12 nough said...

He still sucks. Crosby and Malkin won him a cup he just happened to be there. He has a ring he just didn't earn it himself.

Crosby and Malkin didn't have any points in games 6 and 7 in the finals. Flurey only let in 2 goals in both games to win them the cup. Luongo, with all due respect, let in 6 goals in games 6 and 7. I am not putting down Lu, but Flurey performed when it mattered the most.

Crosby and Malkin didn't have any points in games 6 and 7 in the finals. Flurey only let in 2 goals in both games to win them the cup. Luongo, with all due respect, let in 6 goals in games 6 and 7. I am not putting down Lu, but Flurey performed when it mattered the most.

did I say anything about Luongo? Fleury still has a cup because of the team in front of him.

Archived