The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We should draft Kasperi Kapanen with the 6th overall pick.

Junkyard Dog

All good teams have 4 lines, one of Canucks issues last few playoffs has been depth. Sandlak still played over 500 games compare that to drafting a guy like Filatov. Antoski was disappointing, but atleast he wasn't a top ten pick. There will always be outliers, but if you play the percentages, better to go with a bigger north american.

Sandman was a fan favorite but he was an absolute bust at #4. He should have been drafted in the 3rd round.

I wish there was a way to fast forward into the future and see how all of these prospect developed. Then go back and pick the best one at number 6.

Who really knows after the top 5 how the rest will turn out. Sometimes a number 14 or number 15 pick could turn out to be the best pick in the draft. Just think Datsyuk or Lidstrom.

It's fine to pick these guys up, but Kapanen's and Nylander's skillset is underwhelming, and they're physical non-factors.

If we were to pick one up to be a top-6 or else, then we should have just picked up Nichushkin. Guy is built like a monster.

Stupid call by the Canucks to abandon their character building, two-way approach to the draft only to pick up some underwhelming, smallish talent, if indeed that happens.

But we shouldn't draft some big guy just because he's big eiter. The trick is to find the big guys who can skate and shoot too.

Jake Virtanen's skating and shot are A-rated, and is a 200lb 17yr old. He's clearly way faster than Ritchie and his shot is better too. And he has more room to grow.

Dal Colle, if he falls, looks to be the real deal as well. Although i'd consider the righty over the lefty in our case. The Canucks are lacking in right-handed talent beyond Kassian.

Also Virtanen's skating ability makes Tom Sestito look like Pavel Bure, and he possess a spot that moves as fast a snail.

See, I can make uninformed comments aswell.

A lot of people consider Ritchie fast, but is it the old 'fast for a big man' description? Because that's just a friendlier way to say he's slow.

That's true. Every player can have great bursts and score goals but you've got to do that all game in order to be effective.

A highlight clip of all of his goals and great moments. That's no way to judge someone. You need to see them play 60 minutes and see how often that is there.

It's fine to pick these guys up, but Kapanen's and Nylander's skillset is underwhelming, and they're physical non-factors.

Stupid call by the Canucks to abandon their character building, two-way approach to the draft only to pick up some underwhelming, smallish talent, if indeed that happens.

You sure schooled the fool who scouted this...

"Despite his size and age (playing in a men’s league) Kapanen is gritty and always involved in puck battles. He also has a well-developed defensive game. Again, the hockey sense is key, as he reads the game extremely well, and cuts down passing and shooting lanes extremely well. He puts a lot of effort into his backchecking and shows a concerted effort at the defensive end, and this is one of the biggest reasons he’s gotten ice-time in the SM-Liiga despite being just 17-years old."

I'm just hoping the Canucks make the same no-brainer decision that the Toronto Maple Leafs made in 2008.

Take that big, strong, physical Canadain boy, sure bet to be a shutdown blueliner in the NHL, and under-rated offensively.

Wouldn't give him up for 10 first round picks!!!

But take that wimpy little Euro you say? You've got to be kidding. What a waste of a pick. We don't need none o dat. Kid will only fill out to 6' and 175lbs. Way too small to cut it in the NHL. And he lacks that Canadian character. You mooks are real kooks!

And look at his numbers.... 5 goals and 5 assists in 45 games (as an 18 year old) in the Swedish Elite League. Awful numbers.

Take the safe pick. Take the big Canadian guy.

Don't take that little Euro! ISS had him at 22. TSN at 28. Sens were caaaraazzzy to take this kid at 15....

You sure schooled the fool who scouted this...

"Despite his size and age (playing in a men’s league) Kapanen is gritty and always involved in puck battles. He also has a well-developed defensive game. Again, the hockey sense is key, as he reads the game extremely well, and cuts down passing and shooting lanes extremely well. He puts a lot of effort into his backchecking and shows a concerted effort at the defensive end, and this is one of the biggest reasons he’s gotten ice-time in the SM-Liiga despite being just 17-years old."

I'm just hoping the Canucks make the same no-brainer decision that the Toronto Maple Leafs made in 2008.

Take that big, strong, physical Canadain boy, sure bet to be a shutdown blueliner in the NHL, and under-rated offensively.

But take that wimpy little Euro you say? You've got to be kidding. What a waste of a pick. We don't need none o dat. Kid will only fill out to 6' and 175lbs. Way too small to cut it in the NHL. And he lacks that Canadian character. You mooks are real kooks!

And look at his numbers.... 5 goals and 5 assists in 45 games (as an 18 year old) in the Swedish Elite League. Awful numbers.

Don't take that little Euro! ISS had him at 22. TSN at 28. Sens were caaaraazzzy to take this kid at 15....

Lol what?

They dont even do that anymore. They just have a wang weigh in. Whoever is hung the hardest gets drafted first.

dont you know if you're a euro = you're too small lol

i heard naslund, bure, were giants

anyone notice our best offensive players in canucks history were euros?

Gradin

Sundstrom

Bure

Mogilny

Naslund

Sedins

hmmm.....sure if you can get a canadian kid with size and skill = to a euro do it, but umm Lindros retired a long time ago folks

Ya but they aint good ol kingston boyz. So it doesnt count. :frantic:

Stop being a bigot. This Euro crap is annoying as hell. If you don't like the player say what skills he doesn't have.

Lol what?

Yeah, got a little carried away. Just sayin' that Brian Burkian logos does not always pan out. If the Sens had obsessed over size - or nationality - or looked at production out of context, ie numbers in the SEL (and SMLiiga) are extremely deflated relative to NA junior hockey - or concerned themselves too much with scouting rankings - they would not have taken Erik Karlsson. At the time taking him in the mid first was a leap, considering that most rankings had him as a late round pick...

There are just some oddities in the rankings.

CS ranks Kapanen 1st in Europe.

ISS ranks Nylander 5th overall and Kapanen 13th.

CS ranks Julius Honka 11th among NA skaters.

ISS has Honka as a mid 2nd round pick.

I don't take the rankings too seriously tbh.

There seems to be considerable variation where the assessment of European players is concerned - and not a whole lot of reliability (not that there isn't a whole lot of subjectivity to them in the first place, regardless).

I think there was a tinge of sarcasm there....!

Sorry but, the more forum I read about draft prospects are filled with this stupid bigotry for European players. Can't stand it. Pissed that grown people still talk like this. Wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of racial and homosexual slurs, just as bad.

Hey, I heard there's a deal with the Ducks for their 10th.

That 10th pick owned by the Ducks sure looks good.

Kesler to the Ducks for that 10th. Good as done, dude.

Have you guys heard about Kesler to the Ducks for their 10th? Wow.

Glad we're sending Kesler along to our competition for a pick in a weak draft. Out. Standing.

not such a weak draft.. there are some strong power forwards out there to get... time is now to get younger!

No kidding. And this one in particular is noted for not only constantly engaging in puck battles (as a 17 year old in a men's league) but also being quite mindful of the finer elements of the game when the opponent has the puck.

The Canucks need another Finn imo.

We lack balls now that Sami is gone.

The first Finn to ever play for the franchise had four straight 30 goal seasons here - over 170 goals in 6+ seasons.

Jarko Ruutu might just be the best super-pest the franchise ever had.

I'm not here to poopoo on other people's preferences - obviously Ritchie, Virtanen, Nylander, etc all have a great deal of potential - Kapanen likewise. I like the idea - and in the end, none of us really have a clue how these teenagers will turn out. Drafting is a significant portion crap-shoot.

It's too bad Tikkanen was past it when we picked him up. One of the best two way players I have ever seen play the game

It's too bad Tikkanen was past it when we picked him up. One of the best two way players I have ever seen play the game

Yes, so true. I always had a soft spot for him - my favorite Oiler of that era (if not Gelinas). He could drive your best players nuts and scored 25 or 30 goals in the process.

the Finns don't play a soft game at all, I figure those who say that are just generalizing europeans all together but its incredibly inaccurate. and frustrating. because apparantly only teams with 23 canadian players can win the cup.

Archived