The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Province Article: 11 coaches who could be behind the Vancouver Canucks’ bench next season

zipzap2013

All good coaches without a doubt, but so was Tortz apparently.

When I hear Linden say we want to emulate the Boston setup it worries me that we will hire a 200ft coach.

i like McLellan, he seems like a smart coach who creates a system to bring the best out of his players, where Tortz enforced a very rigid hard nosed 200ft game that didnt work with the talent we have and he never seemed to try and change it. With Tortz it was the players who werent playing the system when I believe the system must the fit players. You cant get something that simply isnt there.

That said is why I I like McLellen I think he would incorporate a system that our players can show their real skills and talents instead of looking like a fish trying to climb a tree under Torterella.

Unless there are major roster changes bringing up a 2way minded coach isnt much of a change from Tortz.

I know McLellan has struggled finding playoff success but how much is on him and how much is on career playoff no-shows like Thornton? Boston has 1 cup, 2 finals appearances and much playoff success since dumping Big Joe.

McLellan would coach a system favorable to our talent and would likely bring new looks to a dead powerplay. Especially with our new goaltending situation it looks like we will need a much better offense to win games, 2 goals wont cut it. We need a better offensive system and not defensive, 2way game like Trotz or Houda would likely play.

McLellan also has lots of experience in the west and playing against those tough California teams.

He has seen our guys in action plenty of times and knows what they like to do. Where as Torteralla being an eastern coach had no idea who was on our roster and what their strengths were and had little experience against western teams, a mistake we shouldnt make twice.

That said there are still plenty of good candidates but so far Im with McLellan, and i think Linden should too. If San Jose won one more game, if guys like Thornton and Marleau didnt disappear then we would not be talking about McLellan being available. if the chance presents itself then we cant miss an opportunity to bring in a real good hockey mind, look what he has done with guys like Couture and Hertl.

McLellan - Vancouver 2014/15!

didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but allegedly doug maclean said on 1040 today that the canucks have kicked the tires on barry trotz.

i didn't hear the segment myself but i guess 1040 tweeted it.

didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but allegedly doug maclean said on 1040 today that the canucks have kicked the tires on barry trotz.

i didn't hear the segment myself but i guess 1040 tweeted it.

Wouldn't be surprised if Linden has touched base with him. Sort of a:

"Hey we're interested but need to sort out the GM first. Would you be interested in coaching in Van? Well don't take anything else until we get back to you" ...conversation.

honestly, if trevor and his gm do go in that direction, i'll head into next season more excited than i have been since the offseason before 2010-11, when i was certain the canucks were destined for the cup.

All good coaches without a doubt, but so was Tortz apparently.

When I hear Linden say we want to emulate the Boston setup it worries me that we will hire a 200ft coach.

i like McLellan, he seems like a smart coach who creates a system to bring the best out of his players, where Tortz enforced a very rigid hard nosed 200ft game that didnt work with the talent we have and he never seemed to try and change it. With Tortz it was the players who werent playing the system when I believe the system must the fit players. You cant get something that simply isnt there.

That said is why I I like McLellen I think he would incorporate a system that our players can show their real skills and talents instead of looking like a fish trying to climb a tree under Torterella.

Unless there are major roster changes bringing up a 2way minded coach isnt much of a change from Tortz.

I know McLellan has struggled finding playoff success but how much is on him and how much is on career playoff no-shows like Thornton? Boston has 1 cup, 2 finals appearances and much playoff success since dumping Big Joe.

McLellan would coach a system favorable to our talent and would likely bring new looks to a dead powerplay. Especially with our new goaltending situation it looks like we will need a much better offense to win games, 2 goals wont cut it. We need a better offensive system and not defensive, 2way game like Trotz or Houda would likely play.

McLellan also has lots of experience in the west and playing against those tough California teams.

He has seen our guys in action plenty of times and knows what they like to do. Where as Torteralla being an eastern coach had no idea who was on our roster and what their strengths were and had little experience against western teams, a mistake we shouldnt make twice.

That said there are still plenty of good candidates but so far Im with McLellan, and i think Linden should too. If San Jose won one more game, if guys like Thornton and Marleau didnt disappear then we would not be talking about McLellan being available. if the chance presents itself then we cant miss an opportunity to bring in a real good hockey mind, look what he has done with guys like Couture and Hertl.

McLellan - Vancouver 2014/15!

Did the Sharks let him go?

Did any of you just heard Greg Millen saying Bylsma's shutdown formation in the centre ice here in game 3 beginning of 3rd period "Guy Boucher-like"?

LOL!

I bet 1-3-1 is used more often than we think.

Trotz for me.

I'd say Trotz as the head coach and the Bruins assistant coach as our assistant coach. We need to leach off of that cup winning franchise. If we could get their assistant GM and assistant coach then we would be on our way to contention. Then the next step would be duping Chia pet to give us Hamilton and Lucic.

Trotz for me.

I'd say Trotz as the head coach and the Bruins assistant coach as our assistant coach. We need to leach off of that cup winning franchise. If we could get their assistant GM and assistant coach then we would be on our way to contention. Then the next step would be duping Chia pet to give us Hamilton and Lucic.

Lucic said he will never ever visit Vancouver again unless it's a hockey between the Bruins and Canucks. Due to an incident following the 6-2 loss against Vancouver on December 15th after the game. We have been to disrespectful to him and his family dating back to the 2011 cup loss. PLUS Vancouver is his hometown and it's kinda sad how badly we canucks fans have treated him. Anyways, it would be a great idea if we do get Hamilton.

I am sure linden will discretely interview his gm candidates then ask the one he chooses who he'd like to be head coach

... I think trotz would be a great fit... he played boring hockey in nashville because of the tools he was given along with a managment that had their own salary cap... I am sure with a talented team he wouldn't play the defensive game.... Trevor already said he wants someone to be able to play an exciting style of hockey... I think he should kick the tires and get to know him better and get his answers as to whether Trotz would be able to coach an up tempo team...

I am sure linden will discretely interview his gm candidates then ask the one he chooses who he'd like to be head coach

... I think trotz would be a great fit... he played boring hockey in nashville because of the tools he was given along with a managment that had their own salary cap... I am sure with a talented team he wouldn't play the defensive game.... Trevor already said he wants someone to be able to play an exciting style of hockey... I think he should kick the tires and get to know him better and get his answers as to whether Trotz would be able to coach an up tempo team...

Even when Trotz had good players in Nashville..It was still boring hockey...Trotz is a very good coach,but is not a good fit here at all (unless he's completely willing to change his philosophies on coaching)...

For me, it's Barry Trotz or Guy Boucher. I wanted Boucher before Torts was hired and I still want him. One of the quotes on him is he let's his players focus and enhance their strengths. Doesn't try to make them into something they're not. I think this team needs a little of that after this crap year they have had to deal with.

And as far as Trotz is concerned, I think the general theme is " look at what he has done with what he had." If we want the playoffs next season, I can guarantee the team is there With Barry Trotz at the Helm. And considering how much he likes Kesler, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him coaching the team next season.

do you not remember the trap game he threw out there that got him fired?? or him going bananas on the bench he was crazier than torts... but most canuck fans would love him because he always went crazy on the refs and it was always the refs fault ... torts actually held his players accountable and this fan base doesnt like that its never the players fault...

Tortz was a pompas, errogant off the wall meat head. Its my way or the hiway. He did not want to coach here..1. lived in the states

2. he threw his players under the bus 3. implying that we have to get over 2011 ? really he was hired for his ring that happened in what 2002 ? Come on Ref no he wanted to say some choice things to get fired why not he still gets his 8 million which i think always should have some thing written in the contract that they receive half if team find its not a fit...its okay the season ticket holders will pay for that...4. Oh yeah I am sure Gillis asked him to change his style but he elected to disobey Gillis which got Gillis up set.. No Tortz is a lunatic..just ask New York Mr. Glen Sather... Torts should never have been highered good bye keenan number 2 dont let the door hit you on the way out..lol

Even when Trotz had good players in Nashville..It was still boring hockey...Trotz is a very good coach,but is not a good fit here at all (unless he's completely willing to change his philosophies on coaching)...

Even with they had statistically good "offensive" seasons they weren't exactly loaded with top tier forward talent.

I mean, Paul Kariya towards the end of his career? Legwand? Erat? Fisher?

These are not the names of top flight, grade A offensive players. The most he's ever had to work with was b-grade and he got a LOT out of them.

Definitely some interesting choices available. And there will be stiff competition as there are a few other teams currently with head coaching vacancies. I think for the Canucks I could see/would like to see them hire Houda, Johnston, or Blashill.

Lucic said he will never ever visit Vancouver again unless it's a hockey between the Bruins and Canucks. Due to an incident following the 6-2 loss against Vancouver on December 15th after the game. We have been to disrespectful to him and his family dating back to the 2011 cup loss. PLUS Vancouver is his hometown and it's kinda sad how badly we canucks fans have treated him. Anyways, it would be a great idea if we do get Hamilton.

boston would never deal hamilton, i guess you haven't seen much of this 20 yr.old...larry robinson 2.0

Archived