The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What we should learn from BOS MTL series

Baslund

The answer to Beating Boston is not responding to their tactics.

The canucks in 2011 tried to outmatch them in doing that but they ended up playing into the hands of the Bruins. Montreal never responded whenever Boston did something stupid. Which made Boston go out of their own way to do stupid things which took them away from the game itself as Montreal went about their business.

Thats how you beat a team at its own game, just reflect it and frustrate them.

The canucks in 2011 tried to outmatch them in doing that but they ended up playing into the hands of the Bruins. Montreal never responded whenever Boston did something stupid. Which made Boston go out of their own way to do stupid things which took them away from the game itself as Montreal went about their business.

There was nothing more entertaining than watching Marchand`s tactics continue to fail to the point of near self implosion. :lol:

He completely threw his own game off while trying to throw other players games off.

There was nothing more entertaining than watching Marchand`s tactics continue to fail to the point of near self implosion. :lol:

He completely threw his own game off while trying to throw other players games off.

That was fun to watch. He was quite visibly frustrated last night ::D

I actually see a historical-comparison to 1976 with this series.

It's said that the Habs halted the bullying, belligerent tactics of the Broad St Bullies, that season. They would march on to 4 straight Cups, in typical Habs-fashion.

Apparently Larry Robinson(as a gangly kid) laid a beating on 'The Hammer', Schultz, & suddenly the Emperor had no clothes. This time the kiss began with a PK, & suddenly hockey's beautiful again.

Lucic may's well go join MMA, or something..his type's endangered.

Seeing the Canadiens beat the Bruins should give hope to the Canucks

* They finished 14 th in the east in 2012

* They are the smaller team not known to be physical

So the Canadiens are in the conference final after a dissapointing season in 2012. This should be a signal for the Canucks not to panic. It can turn around quickly.

Why should we want to get bigger? All big teams are out of the playoffs. Yet the Hawks, Canadiens are in the conference finals and not really physical teams.

So here is hoping this is one off year.

And the Canucks can play an attractive brand of hockey AND be succesful!

Canucks are not a small team. We are an 'undertalented' team.

I loved it, was a thing of beauty.

He was like a hamster falling off his wheel.

Speed absolutely crushed the Bruins, how many long stretch passes into breakaways did the habs have? Chara looked slow and bleak so often. They have good depth (hell, Briere is centering the FOURTH line) that chipped in and did their roles. They were always ALL skating so hard and punishing boston with the aforementioned speed.

Price is pretty much on point, their D core is playing strong. Honestly this could be the year the Cup returns to Canada.

Just makes me sad that if those calls were made in 2011 we could have potentially snagged the cup. Oh well c'est la vie

Yeah the Canucks tried to match them in the rough and tough after the whistle bs. Injuries to Hamhuis, Raymond, Kesler and the suspension to Rome didn't help either...

I think the NHL is slowly starting to turn the corner on that.

I`ve seen more games this playoffs where the refs put away the whistles than I can remember in the past few years.

It makes for way more entertaining hockey. Most of the time teams don`t even score on the powerplay anyways, and all it does is take away from the pace of the game.

Hopefully your right..

Rolling 4 lines was huge for Montreal. Canucks have never really had that luxury ever. Even though MG always preached it, he never came through.

Exactly.

And when he did have good fourth liners like Weise, Lapierre, and Volpatti he let them go in place of skilled guys like Dalpe and Ebbett.

I learnt that speed does trump size but that you also need a decent amount of grittiness and pushback (which the Canucks didn't do enough of). I loved the Chara tripping, what better way to nullify a giants size?. Basically playing a little bit dirty where you know it won't get called. With the western conference getting so big, I think it's almost better to go speed/skill over absolute size because if you don't, your going to end up with Ana/LA type of defensive hockey where the score is always 2-1. Furthermore, your going to need a really good goalie to stand on his head in order to be effective. The chicago model is the best because they have a solid balance of speed/skill mixed with size and they prove you don't need a really great goalie to succeed. Don't get me wrong, size is still important in that you want to be bigger than average but you don't need to be the biggest team. If anything, a big D core is probably where more attention should be paid. That's why I really would've loved to have drafted Jamie Oleksiak 6'6''.

Seeing the Canadiens beat the Bruins should give hope to the Canucks

* They finished 14 th in the east in 2012

* They are the smaller team not known to be physical

So the Canadiens are in the conference final after a dissapointing season in 2012. This should be a signal for the Canucks not to panic. It can turn around quickly.

Why should we want to get bigger? All big teams are out of the playoffs. Yet the Hawks, Canadiens are in the conference finals and not really physical teams.

So here is hoping this is one off year.

And the Canucks can play an attractive brand of hockey AND be succesful!

All it means is Boston players are exhausted from playing such a tough style of play over a extended period of time.

Their style wears out opposing teams but the team playing that way gets worn out too.

This is not news, it's a by-product of the Boston model.

The Boston the Canuck team that met them in the final had everybody in media, the league, the fans other than Canuck fans against them.

The calls from the refs went the Habs way this year but did not go the Canuck s way during the finals.

Saying big teams are out is just silly there are some players still in the hunt for a cup that play big, can change the outcome of a game/series.

Even if some of those players are only of average height they play big can hurt you by drawing penalties, by scoring timely goals or steal a puck even from seasoned veterans.

Some of the biggest hits are still to come for round three and four.

Who ever survives the western conference well likely win the cup, I would love a Canadian team to win, but I have to be honest about what I see as at least one shot for the Habs well require the calls to continue to go their way.

This is what I learned:

1. Tweeting is for idiots

2. Shots with the stick to the groin are the new go to move

3. Boston talks about embellishing and has perfected it to a fine art

4. Chara falls down a lot

5. Brad Marchand sucks

6. Some fans in Boston need to refill their prescriptions

7. Handshakes are for losers. Aren't, I mean aren't.

8. The bigger they are....

9. I don't hate PK Subban anymore. I think I actually like him.

10. I thoroughly enjoyed that series.

I told you there would be plenty of good hockey even if the Canucks weren't around! Deb, would I ever steer you wrong?

Archived