The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Botchford] Kesler gave a list of 6 (revisited)

As much as I love Kes, you don't keep someone here who doesn't want to be here. It's bad for the atmosphere of the locker room, bad for the player and bad for management. Trade him while he has value if he wants out.

I thought that Kesler gave that list at the trade deadline last March? Not sure if he is still willing to try and get away from Tortorella though :-).

My biggest dream is for the Canucks to trade the Sedins while they still have value. I know that many in Canuckville think that they are untouchable, but I look at this differently. My goal is for Vancouver to win a cup, and they have not been able to do that with the Sedins. I would probably pass-out on draft day if I hear that Vancouver has traded the Sedins to the Islanders for John Tavares and a first round pick....but after I "come-to" I would also be uncorking the champagne :-).

While we're on the subject, we know that Florida is also open to trading for their first round pick. We also know that they are looking for defencemen -- hint, hint ;-). And we know that Edler and Beiksa have been mentioned in trade talks for months now. So why not sweeten the pot, and try to trade Edler, Bieksa plus perhaps Burrows for their first round pick and Jonathan Huberdeau?

None of this might ever happen...but would it not be wise to at least ask? :-). The Canucks' organization has mentioned on more than one occasion that they will become younger and tougher...so that's my plan.

Whether these trades would happen or not is questionable...but you have to admit that Vancouver season tickets would probably sell-out in a day if Vancouver suddenly acquired Tavares, Huberdeau, and 3 first round draft picks in the top 6 overall...not to mention $20-million free in cap space :-). And even if Vancouver does become top-heavy with centres...that could just mean more trades and more building too.

Comic Sans.

I really want Kesler to stay, but after Bennings interview, I think he might run with Horvat 3C transition 2C at which point Kesler would be getting shipped out. It makes sense to ship him out now, we need to give our rookies a chance. Building chemistry between some of our young guns and vets is critical, I was surprised that Jensen fit in so well last year but a full camp and preseason is needed for these guys

Its not fair to kesler to keep him here if we dont get things done to win again.

His value will be nil when he doesnt have a contract left.

I really hope we trade him for etem and 10th overall. It will set us up for the next decade.

Tampa: Kucherov + 1st

Detroit: Mantha + 1st

Colorado: Rights to O'Reilly

Anaheim: Etem + Ottawa's 1st (10th overall)

Chicago: Teravainen + 1st

Pittsburgh: Pouliot + 1st

If Colorado re-signs Stastny, ROR for Kesler makes a lot of sense for them. Likely saves 1.5 per year in cap, and not committing to another long term deal.

If Chicago doesn't win this year, they may want to shake things up for one last hurrah. Kane and Toews are both UFA at the end of next season, and are going to need BIG raises. But with that coming, they are probably more keen on shedding a big contract veteran (Sharp? Hossa?) than trading a player on a cheaper ELC.

God i want mantha so bad. Id do kesler straight up for him.

Tampa - palat and a d prospect and a pick

Detroit - Mantha and a pick or sproles

Chi - terevinen but doubt they need kesler

Anaheim - Theodore Etem and 10th

Pitts - maataa or pouliet and Bennett ++

Colorado - package everything for duchane or ROR

Lets keep in mind a new Gm brings a whole new set of trade "buddies". Benning will have connections/friendships that will open up trade possibilities with teams not previously mentioned. I bet a sit down with Kesler would expand that list of 6 teams.

Just for fun though .....

Detroit - Tatar or Mantha, 1st, Brendan Smith

Tampa - Brett Connelly, 1st, Kucherov or Koekoek

Pittsburgh - Derrik Pouliot, 1st, Bennett or Sutter

Anaheim - Etem or Palmieri ,1st, Shea Theodore

I don't think Kesler will get that much, but it would be my starting point as an asking price if I were Benning, and negotiate from there.

I like all of these

Lets keep in mind a new Gm brings a whole new set of trade "buddies". Benning will have connections/friendships that will open up trade possibilities with teams not previously mentioned. I bet a sit down with Kesler would expand that list of 6 teams.

Just for fun though .....

Detroit - Tatar or Mantha, 1st, Brendan Smith

Tampa - Brett Connelly, 1st, Kucherov or Koekoek

Pittsburgh - Derrik Pouliot, 1st, Bennett or Sutter

Anaheim - Etem or Palmieri ,1st, Shea Theodore

I don't think Kesler will get that much, but it would be my starting point as an asking price if I were Benning, and negotiate from there.

That Tampa deal takes it for me. I really like that Anaheim deal too.

He will waive for Tampa, Detroit, Colorado, Anaheim, Chicago, and Pittsburgh.

Botch

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=9839348

I apologize if it's already been posted, but I wasn't aware of this.

Looks like a new article, but it's certainly old news dating back to the deadline. The Rumour was Kesler would only accept a deal to 6 teams, but how true that was then (or now) I don't know.

I thought that Kesler gave that list at the trade deadline last March? Not sure if he is still willing to try and get away from Tortorella though :-).

My biggest dream is for the Canucks to trade the Sedins while they still have value. I know that many in Canuckville think that they are untouchable, but I look at this differently. My goal is for Vancouver to win a cup, and they have not been able to do that with the Sedins. I would probably pass-out on draft day if I hear that Vancouver has traded the Sedins to the Islanders for John Tavares and a first round pick....but after I "come-to" I would also be uncorking the champagne :-).

While we're on the subject, we know that Florida is also open to trading for their first round pick. We also know that they are looking for defencemen -- hint, hint ;-). And we know that Edler and Beiksa have been mentioned in trade talks for months now. So why not sweeten the pot, and try to trade Edler, Bieksa plus perhaps Burrows for their first round pick and Jonathan Huberdeau?

None of this might ever happen...but would it not be wise to at least ask? :-). The Canucks' organization has mentioned on more than one occasion that they will become younger and tougher...so that's my plan.

Whether these trades would happen or not is questionable...but you have to admit that Vancouver season tickets would probably sell-out in a day if Vancouver suddenly acquired Tavares, Huberdeau, and 3 first round draft picks in the top 6 overall...not to mention $20-million free in cap space :-). And even if Vancouver does become top-heavy with centres...that could just mean more trades and more building too.

A +1 to you good sir on your first post, and another for it being in Comic Sans.

Bravo :D

If Colorado re-signs Stastny, ROR for Kesler makes a lot of sense for them. Likely saves 1.5 per year in cap, and not committing to another long term deal.

If Chicago doesn't win this year, they may want to shake things up for one last hurrah. Kane and Toews are both UFA at the end of next season, and are going to need BIG raises. But with that coming, they are probably more keen on shedding a big contract veteran (Sharp? Hossa?) than trading a player on a cheaper ELC.

These are the deals I would want for Edler. Kesler needs another piece thrown in to almost every one of these D

No, it doesn't. That's a terrible deal. At this point O'Reilly is better than Kesler and doesn't come with anywhere near the injury concerns and baggage. O'Reilly is Roy's favourite player and it's already long since been reported it would take a huge overpayment to get him out of Denver. Vancouver isn't getting O'Reilly for Kesler unless a younger top 4 D is coming back as well. There's absolutely no incentive to trade him even if Stastny re-signs. Parenteau or McGinn and picks/prospects will be moved first and for D not an over the hill injury prone center.

I have been one of Ryan Keslers biggest supporters his whole Canuck career. I want him traded, but then after playing his prime with the ducks or jackets or whomever, come back here once we have rebuilt, and play the rest of his career here. Then retire his number.

Much like Trevor Linden was sacrificed in order to get the assets to purchase Henrik Sedin.

I think Columbus and Anaheim are the best places for Ryan.

Archived