The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Canucks could roll the dice on William Nylander in draft

DrChill

When you put it that way, I agree .. I never get involved much in the 'speculation game' on Junior players, because it is a crap shoot for the most part.

Some folks on here come across like they know more than Bob McKenzie .. :rolleyes:

Exactly. All the people saying "wah wah wah he's a risky pick" should realize that he's just as safe a pick as Ritchie, Ehlers, Virtanen, etc. Most prospects have a potential weak spot that couldn't translate to the NHL. Just go with the BPA, in this case, at 6th, which is Nylander.

Called Nylander as my preferred pick at number 6 back a few months ago. I was open to looking at Richie, but wanted to see stellar VO2 and endurance tests from him at the combines. Instead we saw elite and explosive power and athleticism scores from Nylander (at 225 lbs Richie was obviously good in the strength drills). Increased my desire to grab Nylander.

As above, explosive speed, sick puck handling, possession and passing skills. A big enough shot he plays the point on team Sweden's U18 team, a sniping wrister and swagger.

I'm in!

Attitude can be fixed with being around great leaders like the Sedins and Bieksa. Linden would also be of a great influence in Nylanders professionalism if this is a concern for him. I like that he plays with confidence and thats quite the praises coming from other NHLers.

So how come no one wants Evander Kane then?

Zero chance.... Virtanen is my hero.

Oh well we'll get him via FA one day like all our BC kids.

I still want to get the 10th OA pick and snag him. I think he is raw talent and with the proper coaching could develop into something a guy like Nylander or Ehlers could work with for 15 years.

I'm all for his "attitude". You need players with swagger who believe in themselves and won't let any knocks waver their confidence. Look at how far Claude Giroux fell, for some reason I can see Nylander being in a Giroux mold, or just racking up points like Nicklas Backstrom haha

I'm kind of torn. If none of the top 5 fall, which a part of me thinks 1 is going to, I have wanted Virtanen all along. If any of the top 5 fall, especially Reinhart or Draisaitl (no way Ekblad falls), I would take them in a heartbeat, although I am still not a huge fan of Dal Colle. But the more I watch and learn on Nylander, the more I fall in love. But I fell in love with Virtanen and Draisaitl so long ago and have never stopped wanting one or both of them. But Nylander gets more intriguing day by day. If Draisaitl is still on the bored I take him. If he's gone and its between Nylander and Virtanen, I'm gonna be so torn on draft day, but as of now, Virtanen still has my heart.

This post is so romantic.

who said no one want him? no one wants to pay the jets a ridiculous asking price. I guarantee 15 or more teams are interested in him.

I meant on CDC...there is lots of negative threads about his bad attitude and that he wouldn't fit in here with a veteran team.

If Nylander has a reported bad attitude, you would think the repsonse would be the same towards him.

I meant on CDC...there is lots of negative threads about his bad attitude and that he wouldn't fit in here with a veteran team.

If Nylander has a reported bad attitude, you would think the repsonse would be the same towards him.

Those are rumors.

Look at his results at the combine and his interview.

They should help convince you otherwise.

Those are rumors.

Look at his results at the combine and his interview.

They should help convince you otherwise.

I am not saying I don't want him. In fact, I really don't care who the Canucks pick. There is no right choice. We just have to hope whoever it is turns into an impact player. MG's first pick defined his whole tenure here; dysfunctional. Let's hope Benning has more success.

Get Ritchie. He's got the highest ceiling of all the prospects outside the top 5 (hell, maybe in the whole draft). He's a big man who can shoot, skate, fight and body check. The downsides are inconsistency (which is due to him being a beast when he's on his game), weight (he can lose it in the NHL, not a huge problem since he's a good skater already) and injuries (looked fine down the final strech of the season).

For me, these are the guys who I think can be top line players:

-Ekblad

-Reinhart

-Draisaitl

-Ritchie

Since the 1st 3 are likely going in the top 3 picks, I'd love to get Nick. High risk, massive reward.

Jensen Horvat Shink (Scoring, speed and skill)

Ritchie Gaunce Kassian (BIG guys)

Looks good.

When you look at our prospect pool, we've got enough big, powerforwards who will fit in our future middle-6. Kassian, Jensen, Horvat and Gaunce (even Fox) are all big bodies but don't have that elite level of skill.

Guys like Ritchie and Virtanen fit in this group. I don't think they're ever going to be a Getzlaf, Malkin or Kopitar (powerforward AND elite level of offensive skill) and we have to face that fact. Those players are extremely rare.

What we do need now to complement our big physical future middle-6 are some top line offensive scorers. Shinkaruk is the only one in our system right now with that level of skill. Jensen and Kassian may end up 30 goal scorers at best, but won't eclipse 60 or 70 points in their careers. We desperately need some skill and speed in our future top-6.

Whether it be Nylander, MDC or Ehlers, we need to get skill and speed, forget about size for this draft.

Get Ritchie. He's got the highest ceiling of all the prospects outside the top 5 (hell, maybe in the whole draft). He's a big man who can shoot, skate, fight and body check. The downsides are inconsistency (which is due to him being a beast when he's on his game), weight (he can lose it in the NHL, not a huge problem since he's a good skater already) and injuries (looked fine down the final strech of the season).

For me, these are the guys who I think can be top line players:

-Ekblad

-Reinhart

-Draisaitl

-Ritchie

Since the 1st 3 are likely going in the top 3 picks, I'd love to get Nick. High risk, massive reward.

Jensen Horvat Shink (Scoring, speed and skill)

Ritchie Gaunce Kassian (BIG guys)

Looks good.

No thanks. We don't need a chubby chap.

Archived