The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Canucks could roll the dice on William Nylander in draft

DrChill

Typical flaming from a narrowminded forum poster who's ignorance continues to show.

Yep, easily one of the most negative posters on this site.

Anyways as for Nylander, I think the chances of him busting are very small. Guys been around pros his whole life, has a huge advantage in having his dad to lean back on for advice. His skill is off the charts and he seems to have that swagger needed to become a star. He was in the top 10 for 7 of the tests at the combine which shows he's extremely dedicated and willing to put in the work. I still prefer any one the "top 5", however I would be very happy with Nylander as well. What better mentors to have than the Sedin's, really?

It appears that the consensus top 5 in this draft is fast becoming the consensus top 6 ....A lot of the scouts are drooling over Nylander after the combine..A lot of the uncertainties were cleared up ,and he definitely excelled where his strength was concerned.

I would be pleased if the Canucks drafted Nylander,but would be ecstatic if Benning could land Sam Reinhart.

Eastern Conference teams, LA's taking it.

That they are. And because the Kings win the final with their overstacked and overstuffed team , we need to draft.............Nick Ritchie who has that 'just choked on a stack of pancakes' look on his face.

He alone makes up for this ridiculous talent the Kings have.

Typical flaming from a narrowminded forum poster who's ignorance continues to show.

I'm still awaiting enlightenment on why this kid is deemed elite. The SHL stats aren't there. He had a good U18 tourney, but so did Magnus Paajarvi. In fact, the career path of Nylander so far reminds me a lot of MPS. And I seem to recall Oil fans being all excited about MPS too. Why i'm not sure. Probably 'the potential.' The Oil did a good job on ruining him though, so it's not all his fault. He become a decent NHLer yet and at least he's not undersized.

Anyway, super fluffy article featuring a lot of hoopla about one particular prospect. Yeah i'm going to question it.

I would love to see us get the 10th pick from Anaheim (who I feel are the front runners for Kesler) and draft Fleury at 6th (if someone doesn't drop). That would leave one of Ritchie, Nylander, Virtanen or Ehlers at 10th. Huge boost toward a major retool.

I think Nylander might be the one who drops, that would be an excellent haul and with our 36th pick we would likely be able to snag someone who dropped out of the first round.

I'm still awaiting enlightenment on why this kid is deemed elite. The SHL stats aren't there. He had a good U18 tourney, but so did Magnus Paajarvi. In fact, the career path of Nylander so far reminds me a lot of MPS. And I seem to recall Oil fans being all excited about MPS too. Why i'm not sure. Probably 'the potential.' The Oil did a good job on ruining him though, so it's not all his fault. He become a decent NHLer yet and at least he's not undersized.

Anyway, super fluffy article featuring a lot of hoopla about one particular prospect. Yeah i'm going to question it.

if the exact same article was written with Nicholas instead of William and ritchie instead of nylander you would have ZERO complaints. hell id bet you be all for it gloating all over the place.

I would love to see us get the 10th pick from Anaheim (who I feel are the front runners for Kesler) and draft Fleury at 6th (if someone doesn't drop). That would leave one of Ritchie, Nylander, Virtanen or Ehlers at 10th. Huge boost toward a major retool.

I think Nylander might be the one who drops, that would be an excellent haul and with our 36th pick we would likely be able to snag someone who dropped out of the first round.

The way I read things I think Fluery is more likely to be available at 10th than Nylander, but anything could happen.

Comparing stats is kind of pointless when it comes to Euro leagues, in his draft year Filip Forsberg had 8 goals 17 points in 43 games in Swe-1 and even the following year never moved up to the SEL.

As a rookie he put up 34 points in 47 games in the AHL and earned an NHL callup, 6 points in 18 games. Solid stats for his first year in NA.

In the Swe-1 Willie scored 15 goals 27 points in 35 points and earned a call-up to SEL. Don't think his numbers are too much of a concern.

Look at pretty much any other Swedish player drafted first round and their stats aren't really any better.

You might want to bump Nylander up to your first choice as there is virtually zero chance Benning takes those two players at #6.

?

Never said those were Benning's choices.

Just because Benning thinks otherwise doesn't mean I have to change my opinion.

I'm kind of torn. If none of the top 5 fall, which a part of me thinks 1 is going to, I have wanted Virtanen all along. If any of the top 5 fall, especially Reinhart or Draisaitl (no way Ekblad falls), I would take them in a heartbeat, although I am still not a huge fan of Dal Colle. But the more I watch and learn on Nylander, the more I fall in love. But I fell in love with Virtanen and Draisaitl so long ago and have never stopped wanting one or both of them. But Nylander gets more intriguing day by day. If Draisaitl is still on the bored I take him. If he's gone and its between Nylander and Virtanen, I'm gonna be so torn on draft day, but as of now, Virtanen still has my heart.

I agree, but that didn't stop, say, Niclas Backstrom, from being used way more and scoring at a way higher rate during his draft year in the same league.

Nylander couldn't even stick in the SHL this season. Red flag on this so-called elite skill.

The other red flag is his father's micromanagement. That's not attitude. That's not cockiness. That's another Coho fiasco. Does the article even mention that red flag?

Both Backstrom and Lindholm were overagers in their draft years. Backstrom at the same point of his development went 19 games without a point which is just as bad as Lindholm. Nylander has 7 in 22 in his first stint which isn't exactly a red flag on his skill. These younger players in professional Euro leagues don't get used like they would in the OHL because there are other more proven pros that are in the lineup that prevent them from getting top-6 minutes consistently. Would you gamble on a 17 year old on a first or second line in the SEL vs. 30 year old vets? It's better to give them a bottom-6 role and let them adjust to the league first rather than throw them into the fire.

His father's involvement could be an issue, but if you ween him away from his camp and keep him around pros like the Sedins and Edler I think he'll end up just fine and I highly doubt daddy has a problem with his son hanging around with future HOF swedes. He will have ZERO impact on how he gets used on the team and what role he plays. This is not Sweden. He has no sway on how his son will be used or what club he will play for. Also there is ZERO proof Cody's dad had any involvement in his son getting traded to Buffalo. That is speculation from asshurt canucks fans who wanna justify not getting full value from trading him.

if the exact same article was written with Nicholas instead of William and ritchie instead of nylander you would have ZERO complaints. hell id bet you be all for it gloating all over the place.

You mean Ritchey?

I'm not expecting those articles to arrive because the modus operandi seems to be ballooning the more questionable guys.

I'm realistic about expectations is all. Nylander elite? Not likely.

Whether he can play against increased physical play and harder checking is a valid question.

The size of the ice surface should be less so.

He grew up playing in NA. It was everything he knew before he moved to Sweden at age 14.

Exactly, I'm much less worried about that factor considering his NA experience growing up than I would be drafting a true European player who'd never played on smaller ice surfaces. We lack that high end skill in our prospect pool and if he's available at 6th I hope we draft him.

Whether Benning and Linden agree after some of their comments about prospects, I don't know.

Wow, big praise from... Jeff Tambellini? Another small guy who could fly and put up a lot of numbers as a prospect, but ultimately couldn't get it to translate to the NHL.

100pts in the NHL might be expected if he scored close to a ppg in the SHL, but he scored 1 goal and 6 assists in 22gp.

I fail to see where this elite skill actually is. But yes, he has the potential (key word, as every kid under the sun has the 'potential' to be a star.)

Massive upsell job going on here. Typical. They're even exaggerating his weight.

I'm certainly not going to change my opinion of him because of the combine and definitely not because of a newspaper article, but you're downselling as much as they're upselling. What proof do you have they're exaggerating his weight as well?

Nylander would be nice, but we need a pure sniper. Our biggest problem last year was inability to finish.

Jensen's no slouch, and what do you think Shinkaruk will be doing? Someone will have to get them the puck, regardless, and Nylander's strengths are both in play making and shooting, as well as skating.

You mean Ritchey?

I'm not expecting those articles to arrive because the modus operandi seems to be ballooning the more questionable guys.

I'm realistic about expectations is all. Nylander elite? Not likely.

your not setting "realistic expectations" your red flagging a prospect for no reason. big difference bud. is he going to get 100pts a season hahah no. but you have no proof any of your big boys will be more of a nhl success than ehlers or nylander.

and who is ritchey? I assume you know the correct spelling and are saying that sarcastically?

After continuous flaming of all small players, i think its just straight up preference for whoever can play a rock em sock em style of play.

I don't mind people's passion of preference, but when they fail to recognize that all players have pros and cons, and rather just straight up talk about the faults, i think its ignorance.

When you put it that way, I agree .. I never get involved much in the 'speculation game' on Junior players, because it is a crap shoot for the most part.

Some folks on here come across like they know more than Bob McKenzie .. :rolleyes:

Archived