The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo's ticking time bomb

Desjardins' Mustache

I am issuing a ticket for not putting the article here...links to sites are usually just to generate traffic and a no no. So I'm giving you 8 minutes to copy/past the article here (too) or the thread'll be shut down.

I was expecting a story about parking tickets or something like that (based on the thread title: "Luongo's ticketing time bomb"). Thought maybe Lu left a car here that was accumulating so many tickets that the local cops were getting involved (thus the "time bomb" he'd face the next time the Panthers were in town).

As for cap benefit recapture AKA "The Luongo Rule" (and given that nickname you'd figure most Canucks fans would be familiar with at least the basic issues), I think many of us understand the potential penalties. It's been given a great deal of discussion in several other threads.

But I suppose some people might only now be hearing about this for the first time (like the OP said).

In that case: here's a handy dandy tool for calculating recapture scenarios for all of the players (and teams) who potentially could be impacted by recapture penalties: http://www.capgeek.com/recapture-calculator/

EDIT: Also worth noting an interesting wrinkle from the Luongo trade. It turns out the retaining salary (15% in the Luongo trade) changes the calculations for cap recapture. Check out this page: http://capgeek.com/news/roberto-luongo-cap-advantage-recapture

And compare those numbers to the ones quoted in the OP's links.

EDIT2: Removed some comments as they probably only complicated matters. People can draw their own conclusions regarding the differences created by retaining salary.

the contract was a perfect contract until the league closed that loop hold..i believe contracts that the league agreed to, should have been grandfathered in to the cba....the contract, front loaded lu's deal ....it provided to be much lower in the latter years....

federov had the same kind of deal that played itself out....if you sign off on a deal, you should honor that deal...

You would have to think that the Canucks could take some sort of legal action to get relieved by some of the hit.

The contract was a legal contract when it was signed by the Canucks, Luongo, AND THE LEAGUE before the new cba.

Im sure when the time comes the Canucks Organization will take legal action if they are not relieved by some of the penalty.

Didn't the Devils get pardoned by some of Kovalchuk's penalty?

In that case: here's a handy dandy tool for calculating recapture scenarios for all of the players (and teams) who potentially could be impacted by recapture penalties: http://www.capgeek.com/recapture-calculator/

lol. I like how Luongo gets his own page. I don't see Luongo retiring unless he absolutely has to. But he hates Vancouver now so I wouldn't be surprised if he drops that last years 8 mill cap hit on us...

You would have to think that the Canucks could take some sort of legal action to get relieved by some of the hit.

The contract was a legal contract when it was signed by the Canucks, Luongo, AND THE LEAGUE before the new cba.

Im sure when the time comes the Canucks Organization will take legal action if they are not relieved by some of the penalty.

Didn't the Devils get pardoned by some of Kovalchuk's penalty?

Yes, the Devils were given relief. From NHL.com:

The National Hockey League announced today that it has decided to modify the disciplinary sanctions originally imposed on the New Jersey Devils' franchise for its conduct in connection with the signing of former NHL Player Ilya Kovalchuk in July 2010, which conduct was determined by an Impartial Arbitrator to have constituted a circumvention of the NHL/NHLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement (the "CBA") then in effect.

The sanctions originally imposed on the Club included a significant fine, the forfeiture of the Club's third-round draft selection in 2011 (which was forfeited) and the forfeiture of a first-round draft selection which has been deferred by the Club until this year in accordance with the terms of the original penalty. As a result, as it relates to the portion of the discipline relating to the first-round draft pick, the Devils stand to forfeit it entirely in the upcoming 2014 NHL Draft. The Devils recently applied to the League for reconsideration and relief from a portion of the original penalty, citing primarily changes in circumstances which, in the Club's view, changed the appropriateness of the sanctions initially imposed. After due and thorough consideration, the League has decided that a modification of the original circumvention penalty associated with the Kovalchuk contract is warranted and, accordingly, has amended the sanctions as follows:

The New Jersey Devils will now be entitled to the 30th selection overall in the 2014 NHL Draft (the last pick in the first round), regardless of the Devils' final standing following the 2013/14 season.

The Club will not be permitted to trade or transfer its right to the 30th overall selection in the 2014 NHL Draft.

The Club's fine has been partially reduced.

The League intends to have no further comment on this matter.

I've read some speculation that the penalty was reduced because of the new ownership situation in NJ, but in any case, a precedent has been set by reducing the penalty. This precedent is significant because the Kovy deal was an even more blatant attempt to circumvent the old CBA than either Luongo or Hossa's contracts before them.

It may be that the letter of the Cap Recapture clause was put in place to appease Burke to get the CBA ratified, but when the time comes to actually apply the penalties, there'll be room to move on it.

the contract was a perfect contract until the league closed that loop hold..i believe contracts that the league agreed to, should have been grandfathered in to the cba....the contract, front loaded lu's deal ....it provided to be much lower in the latter years....

federov had the same kind of deal that played itself out....if you sign off on a deal, you should honor that deal...

i agree with you on that one...

Absolute crap. It was signed before the CBA meanwhile Philly is off the hook with Pronger? F*** Burke.

Technically Philly isn't off the hook. They are just loop holing the situation by not having him retire and paying him off the cap to just be injured xD They did the same thing with Rathje. Hatcher, and Lapierrere.

They still have another so called ticking bomb in Mark Streit though who signed over 35. Though for his age he doesn't have to many miles on it. But Ed Snider isn't cheap he seems to have no issue throwing millions around to try to keep the team competitive. Odds are the same will happen with him.

Archived