The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will hansen rebound next season?

Bure to Mogilny

Hansen  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's not coincidence that Hansen and Burrows, the two players who use their ability to pressure defenders to create turnovers and score on the transition, were the two forwards that struggled most when our coach obliterated our transition game in favour of collapsing back to practically the goal line.

Hansen is a good player who will bounce back, as will most of the team. He shouldn't still be shopped though . His value isn't high right now and keeping him would be of more value than what we could get for him in a trade.

Anyone remember Torts reaming him out on the bench, poking his finger repeatedly into his shoulder yelling in his ear???

I do and watched the expression on Hansen's face.................................................said it all in the look on his face.

Lots of guys just would not play for Torts.

Put that year in the trash can.

Hansen will rebound and on the 3rd line will do everything asked of him.

Assuming the new coach can motivate rather than deflate.

my 2 cents.

We really just need to start playing players in the roles they are meant to play. This means

1. Sedin's should not be out there to kill penalties and tire themselves out. I love the idea of your offensive leaders being 2 way guys who contribute in every way (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc), but the Sedin's are simply not those types of players. They are not bad defensively, but should not be trying to become expert defensive players.

2. Hansen should be a 3rd liner. That's it. That's his role, not to slot up into a 1 or 2w. He doesn't have the hands nor game sense. He is A TERRIFIC checking winger who can add in 12-15 a year, let him focus on that and he will be very valuable again.

3. Same goes for Higgins. While he seems to have slightly better hands than Hansen, he is still not a 'creative' player. He is a hard working checker who can be relied on to add 10-15 from the 3rd or 4th lines.

4. Kassian and Jensen are 2 of our future top six. It is time to play them there. We are one of the few teams in the NHL, and have been since I have been alive many many years, that always seems to want to turn our offensive players into checkers. Most NHL teams if they have a first rounder with offensive skill in the lineup, place him at worst on the second line. Us, third or 4th. Play them where they can utilize their vast skills, size, speed, hands, they can learn defensive responsibility over time, don't beat their offense/creativity out of them, then complain when you have a team full of Higgins' and Hansen's....Let the dancers dance as they say. This also means each one of them on one of the PP Units.

5. Tanev - he's improved a TON over the last 2 years. He has gone from "Who?" to "great prospect" to "top 4" in 2 seasons. Want him to improve even more? Give him top PP time. What does our PP lack? A QB. What's the role of the QB? slow things down, make the passes that take the zone, create time and space once we have the zone, calm things down. Well who is our best dman at calming things down? Making smart passes out of the zone? etc etc...We have 2 cannons with Elder and Garrison, we don't have a guy who can handle the puck like its not a Grenade and who doesn't panic when rushed, or do we? Yes we have one his name is Tanev. Again, play a player where he can add value..

6. Burrows - why does this guy never get PP time? He goes to the net, he bangs home garbage, he's great on the cycle. Again, rebound you say? Let him play where he never gets to. He'll rebound and contribute as well.

End of the day, if our new coaching staff uses their brains a bit, we should see some rebounds...I thought Torts was a good coach until I saw some of his decisions. Sure some of them were forced due to lack of depth, some where just plain stupid.

I plus one'd you for your reply good sir!!

Hansen should be used where he is most effective and that is the 3rd line. He should have been used more on the penalty kill and if Kesler is gone then I can see the new coach using him to that regard, play him to his strengths. Save our offensive guys for the offensive zone. And I agree with you as well on Burrows, everyone had an off year last year and he needs to get back to playing the cycle game with the Sedins out there, what happened to their success, Torteralla imploded not only their line strength, but everyone else as well.

I'd keep him and Higgens as 3rd line wingers... Hansen is a good PK player and when Torres was on that line it was one of the best in the NHL. Play the players in positions and situations they suit, and magic happens...and if Horvat is deemed ready, maybe put him at centre.

I think there is a good few players, who will bounce back big time after last season.

However Hansen may not be big enough for what Benning is looking for...

I'd keep him and Higgens as 3rd line wingers... Hansen is a good PK player and when Torres was on that line it was one of the best in the NHL. Play the players in positions and situations they suit, and magic happens...and if Horvat is deemed ready, maybe put him at centre.

I think there is a good few players, who will bounce back big time after last season.

However Hansen may not be big enough for what Benning is looking for...

6'1 and 195lbs isn't big enough?

Good point about that Torres/Maholtra/Hansen line. He can play tough when he needs to.

I think Horvat gets a shot if he has Higgins and Hansen on either side of him.

No. He is a mediocre player who admits he changes his game when moved throughout the lineup. He routinely botches scoring chances. He can't score on breakways. The only thing he does well is forecheck and last season he forgot how to do that too.

Not sure if he should be around or not, that's up to Linbenning, but here's a Hansen breakaway goal.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FC0MlzX-zUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also not sure how to embed videos; maybe this link works.

I think Hansen can be better if used right. He is not a top six forward, and shouldn't be relied on for producing. If he plays a third line energy role, and is used on the PK that is where he excels IMO.

With that being said, I hope that two of Burrows/Higgins/Hansen/Matthias are used in trades this summer to improve draft positioning or paired in another trade to bring in top end talent. All are great third line players, but have no business in a top six role.

6'1 and 195lbs isn't big enough?

Good point about that Torres/Maholtra/Hansen line. He can play tough when he needs to.

I think Horvat gets a shot if he has Higgins and Hansen on either side of him.

By big I mean tough... Thunderous checks/fighting etc... I think he is Ideal on the 3rd line, but if Canucks wants to get tougher or closer to the old Torres, Malhotra, Hansen line, they may seek a a tougher player to relieve either Hansen or Higgins.

But yes I believe a line of Higgens/Horvat/Hansen would be interesting :)

I think he will rebound but we should 100% be trading him. We have Kassian, Burrows, and Mattias, not to mention Jensen and Horvat plus the 6th pick, or even Santorelli that can all play there. We need to get away from being a team of third line grinders.

Too many of our players fell victim of Torts scream, yell and prodding. The teams ability to reclaim a top spot in the league is finding a coach that can once again get the likes of Sedins, Edler and Hanson to return to their previous ability.

Surpised that 2/3 of you think Benning will be shopping Hansen.

Tortorella's most annoying aspect imo was the way he both busted Hansen's balls, one of the hardest working guys on the club who also played through a couple nasty shoulder injuries last season - and underutilized him, using him less on the pk than the Sedins.

Hansen is a hell of a two way player that can play in all kinds of situations - he's got speed, grit, and the skilled side of his game has progressed very nicely from a depth forward to someone who can put up elite 3rd line offensive production (which is what the 40 pts that Higgns and Hansen are capable of) is.

Will not be shopped imo. The kind of player you win with and as a result of.

Has been a steal since day 1. Look forward to him shutting up a lot of doubters.

Archived