The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

Botch on team 1040 this morning hinted that Tanev is the roster player. Says Tanev wants to get paid.

Also said the plan was to get the 10th from Anaheim to replace Shinkaruk in the 1st overall trade.

Also said Anaheim hasn't put #10 back on the table (yet..)

Fully believe it... he held out last year for more money.

He is a great player only at a certain dollar value. He is not worth near what our other top guys are making yet, but probably wants that neighbourhood. For more than $3.5 per, I am more than happy to see him go and have his ice time go to someone else.

I have absolutely no problem with Tanev being traded if he's looking for more than he is worth. Stanton at the start of the season showed some promise, and he's on a very affordable contract for this coming season. Corrado also should be near challenging for a roster spot soon (and I believe he has a higher ceiling than Tanev does).

Yup. Been saying for months Tanev doesn't fit. I still don't like this rumored Shinkaruk info though. Tanev + Shinkaruk + 6th seems an over payment to me unless Florida's sending their 3rd (or something) back too.

Switch Shinkaruk to Schroeder and I make that deal.

If we dont make a trade with Florida for the 1st and decide to pick at 6th is it worth trading Tanev else where and picking up an asset we need or holding on to him with the chance a team offer sheets him?

I think so. I'd love to see us use him (or Hansen) to pry NYI's 5th from them.

He is a great player only at a certain dollar value. He is not worth near what our other top guys are making yet, but probably wants that neighbourhood. For more than $3.5 per, I am more than happy to see him go and have his ice time go to someone else.

Actually, I wouldn't go above 2.7. That is what Nick Leddy is making and with all due respect to Tanev, he's better.

not against this trade... it actually make sense...

You got to give up talent to get talent... Hunter may turn into an exciting player in the future, but the team need a someone like Reinhart to lead the team when the Sedins era is over.

Once Reinhart merge into the team, we will forget how tough it was to lose Hunter..

So I'm hoping it goes down;

Etem, Vatanen & 10th for Kesler

10th, 6th & Tanev for 1st (Reinhart)

It's a lot go give up, but it also gives us what we need without giving up any of our top prospects, while enabling us to add to that pool. Added with the fact that if we play poorly next year, we'll have another high pick and be well on our way to getting back into the playoff picture by then, with Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Reinhart, Cassels, Fox, Etem, Corrado, Vatanen all ready or pretty close to taking the next step then. That along with hopefully a completely matured Kassian.

we need our 6th, next years draft is deeper id rather a first there although a 1st and 6th would be nice this year as well

do you have any idea, like any idea, how much would next year's first overall draft would cost?

people are talking like other teams actually work for us and will give us their first overall for junks.

Exactly this ^^

Considering that several other RFA Defensemen that are better than Chris Tanev got less valued contracts. Cody Franson, TJ Brodie, Justin Braun, Alec Martinez all valued under 2 mil. And most of these guys have a better offensive ceiling than Tanev and better potential. If anything Tanev is somewhere in the middle of this pack that is worth under 3mil at most.

If Tanev wants money he can go make it somewhere else because he isn't as spectacular as the media, Torts, and the people on this board say he is.

Moving back to the Kesler deal for Vancouver..... Bob Mckenzie was just on team 1040 and that it apparently seems like the two teams that have dwindled to Anaheim and Chicago. Pittsburgh no longer part of the group vying for Kesler. Things are getting tight and the destinations are shrinking...time to start considering those deals soon.

do you have any idea, like any idea, how much would next year's first overall draft would cost?

people are talking like other teams actually work for us and will give us their first overall for junks.

we going to get the 2015 first overall pick for some cookies and a Hansen what are you talking about :bigblush:

Yup. Been saying for months Tanev doesn't fit. I still don't like this rumored Shinkaruk info though. Tanev + Shinkaruk + 6th seems an over payment to me unless Florida's sending their 3rd (or something) back too.

Switch Shinkaruk to Schroeder and I make that deal.

I'm not as sold on Shinkaruk being a bad piece to move. It is a lot to give up, but you've got to give to get. I'd rather have a potential anchor player for the franchise, regardless of if it's Reinhart or Ekblad, than a few complimentary pieces.

I really don't think we get anything more than a potential 2nd line player at 6th, particularly if Benning and co. aren't sold on Ehlers or Nylander.

The draft could sure be interesting. My gut says we stay at sixth, but it'll be interesting to see either way.

Exactly this ^^

Considering that several other RFA Defensemen that are better than Chris Tanev got less valued contracts. Cody Franson, TJ Brodie, Justin Braun, Alec Martinez all valued under 2 mil. And most of these guys have a better offensive ceiling than Tanev and better potential. If anything Tanev is somewhere in the middle of this pack that is worth under 3mil at most.

If Tanev wants money he can go make it somewhere else because he isn't as spectacular as the media, Torts, and the people on this board say he is.

Moving back to the Kesler deal for Vancouver..... Bob Mckenzie was just on team 1040 and that it apparently seems like the two teams that have dwindled to Anaheim and Chicago. Pittsburgh no longer part of the group vying for Kesler. Things are getting tight and the destinations are shrinking...time to start considering those deals soon.

Tanev was always great bang for the buck he was paid, but I agree once his bucks are levelled to his pay he'll seem more average.

I don't mind trading him, but I do have an issue of trading Tanev - Shinkaruk to move up 5 spots.

I'm also a bit reluctant to see Shinkaruk be moved but if it's needed to get Reinhart then so be it, plus Kesler deal should get us young talent to replace the loss of Shinkaruk in our prospect pool

I would not mind this trade at all. I was excited to see Hunter play with the Canucks, however, if they get the first overall pick for him, I'd take it. Hunter has decent potential, but he is also a small guy, in a big division. Further, there is a reason 23 teams passed on him (home town Calgary included), when the guy in some rankings was top 10. Plus he is coming off a hip injury which you never know what that does to a player's skill and development. The first overall pick > Hunter in my eyes. I think it is a good deal for the Canucks. Added the future Kesler deal and the Canucks can get some quality players and picks back.

not against this trade... it actually make sense...

You got to give up talent to get talent... Hunter may turn into an exciting player in the future, but the team need a someone like Reinhart to lead the team when the Sedins era is over.

Once Reinhart merge into the team, we will forget how tough it was to lose Hunter..

Then why not trade for #3 and not lose Hunter instead? From the sounds of things, Reinhart, Bennett, and Draisaitl are basically a coin flip

I'm not as sold on Shinkaruk being a bad piece to move. It is a lot to give up, but you've got to give to get. I'd rather have a potential anchor player for the franchise, regardless of if it's Reinhart or Ekblad, than a few complimentary pieces.

I really don't think we get anything more than a potential 2nd line player at 6th, particularly if Benning and co. aren't sold on Ehlers or Nylander.

The draft could sure be interesting. My gut says we stay at sixth, but it'll be interesting to see either way.

Yup, Friday can't come soon enough! :P

I'll say this, I've got enough faith in Benning that if he does move Shinkaruk, I'll believe he saw something (or didn't) that would give reason for moving him. Maybe it's his size, maybe it's his hip...who knows?

But from the (albeit limited) amount I've seen of the kid, he looks like a gamer to me. I'm a little nervous to move the impressive potential he appears to have. Obviously there's a reason Tallon wants him (if true).

I'm gonna say Benning pulls the trigger on a Kesler trade tomorrow to allow himself time to get his new assests in order for the draft. This assumption is based on nothing and I will not defend it if challenged; However, if I'm right, I'll totally boast about how smart and well connected I am.

I'm gonna say Benning pulls the trigger on a Kesler trade tomorrow to allow himself time to get his new assests in order for the draft.This assumption is based on nothing and I will not defend it if challenged; However, if I'm right, I'll totally boast about how smart and well connected I am.

Bah, we all kind of know that would be coming anyhow. JB needs to get on the draft floor and have a chat with these guys. Thursday at the latest.

Archived