The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

How do we know that Reinhart is that player. Everyone saw with their own eyes how exciting Shinkaruk looked. For me there were echoes of Pat Kane.

How do we know what HS's ceiling could be under Willie D?

because:

1. you can tell how good he is from watching him play?

2. I trust our new gm who was a pretty good scout.. Apparently he sees something in Reinhart that makes him want to move up.

We dont know how well he can perform under willie D, but hell this could be say to every single player and prospects.

Do i want to trade up for Reinhart at the cost of Hunter? Personally i am fine with both but i can see the upside of trading up for Reinhart. From the look of it he will MOST LIKELY turn into a franchise player.

Keith is an absolute @#$%-head. But he's also a LOT better of a d-man. A LOT.

I totally agree but Kieth shy's away from hits like Bobby Brown from Whitney ! Tanev does have good potential with the right partner. As we all know a developing Defense man takes a few years to really get his groove on.

How do we know that Reinhart is that player. Everyone saw with their own eyes how exciting Shinkaruk looked. For me there were echoes of Pat Kane.

Shinkaruk looks great but P. Kane? No way there is no way that Shinkaruk develops anything close to P. Kane. If I were going to choose an NHL player to compare to Shinkaruk it would be Eberle.

You're comparing a top 3 draft pick to a mid-20s pick. Just stop. Nobody knows how things will look in 5 years, but that's just the reality of the drafting process. Different levels of prospects. I hope you're right that Shink becomes that offensive dynamo we've been lacking, but a guy of his stature and style NEEDS a Reinhart type to be successful. Reinhart will be the playmaker/go-to guy to turn tweeners like Shink or Jensen into elite players, and the thought of that excites me to no end. Even Kassian could be invigorated by somebody of that level of skill.

Reinhart is not a Crosby or a Tavares, but he shares a few crucial elements with those players: he slows the game down, has elite hockey IQ, and makes everyone around him better. Every other prospect we have is miles behind in that department.

bieksa was going on 25 when he played his first nhl game, corrado just turned 21.

of course not.

i was replying to a post where you mocked the idea of tanev being a cornerstone when he only scored 6 goals in 64 games.

anyway, tanev's ceiling i would say is a poor man's keith. the style's are similar, with defense based on positioning and an active stick as opposed to physicality, and offense based on passing the pick well, creativity and getting wrist shots through. keith doesn't have a particularly hard point shot either, but he finds a lane, which tanev is also good at. keith's skating obviously puts him a notch above, his offensive instincts are better and he has a winner's mean streak, but defensively and hockey sense wise they're pretty comparable.

Very realistic assessment. Given the right partner he could be a solid d man down the road.

I totally agree but Kieth shy's away from hits like Bobby Brown from Whitney ! Tanev does have good potential with the right partner. As we all know a developing Defense man takes a few years to really get his groove on.

Keith avoid hits because of his anticipation, positioning and agility. Avoiding hits is is smart, an attribute. Not a negative.

6' 3" 216 lbs right handed,puck moving d man- Ekblad

5' 11" 179 lbs. Left winger-Hunter

6' 1" 186 lbs. Center- Reinhart

Ekblad is a cornerstone player that steps into the lineup this September,freeing up a top-4 d man to trade in the process.

Plenty of centers waiting in the wings for the Canucks.

Hunter is not fitting the mold of what the mgmt.states to ice but it will be sad to see him go.

Ekblad,please.

I have always compared Tanevs defensive style to that of a less illusive Keith. That calm demeanor, regardless of who's coming on the forecheck. He just stops, turns, waits and makes the pass all in one fluid sequence. Looks very similar. That "effortless" factor. On the other side of the rink it's a whole notha story, but no one is expecting 50 points here. He has shown he can put up respectable numbers on a offensively garbage team without pp time. No reason to think he can't break 30.

We have very few defensive players left. Kesler is on his way out. Burrows is gettin up there in age. Hansen and especially Higgins have shown time and time again they can't handle the big boys. Bieksa and Garrison are up and down. Edler is a train wreck.

For all the talk of how D-men can be great well into their 30's, we are already watching Edler plummet in his mid-late 20's. Hamhuis has gotten worse and more inconsistent over the last 2 season, both years being shown up by his partner. The majority of top end D-men in the league are in their mid 20's, some even younger.

Moving arguably our best D-man at the age of 24, will bite us hard. No reason to believe we will be well off without him. Already had to watch us get swept by SJ because we had Edler and Bieksa out there defending leads. PK and D went to trash after Tanman took the Stamkos shot to the wrist. He's made every pairing he's been on respectable, regardless of how bad his partner may be. No one else here does that.

Well, just saw Bob McKenzie on TSN. Here's how he ranks the top 10 for what it's worth.....

1. Aaron Ekblad

2. Sam Reinhart

3. Sam Bennett

4. Leon Draisatl

5. Michael Dal Cole

6. Nick Ritchie

7. Jake Virtanen

8. Haydn Fleury

9. William Nylander

10. Nickolaj Ehlers.

Well. That's just crap. I can't see Ehlers dropping that far. The top five in some order or another will be taken. I can't see anyone of them dropping, or the teams before us going "off the board". But I also can't see Nick Ritchie going that high at sixth. I can see Virtanen going sixth, but not Ritchie. I think he drops maybe 8-9? Nylander has either got to be seven, or eight. Ehlers depending on where Virtanen or Nylander land.

This is going to be an interesting draft this Friday.

Well. That's just crap. I can't see Ehlers dropping that far. The top five in some order or another will be taken. I can't see anyone of them dropping, or the teams before us going "off the board". But I also can't see Nick Ritchie going that high at sixth. I can see Virtanen going sixth, but not Ritchie. I think he drops maybe 8-9? Nylander has either got to be seven, or eight. Ehlers depending on where Virtanen or Nylander land.

This is going to be an interesting draft this Friday.

I'm not saying I agree with it. It's just McKenzie's rankings which was on TV.

Tanev has scored eight goals in 156 NHL regular season games and none in 15 playoff games.

That is 171 NHL games and eight goals scored.

Positionally sound.

Limited offense.

Not a hard hitter.

Tanev is the type of player any team could use but Edler is not going anywhere,Ditto Juice and Hammer. Garrison is a local boy that wanted to sign here,and I presume would like to stay.

That leaves Tanev as a d man that Florida would accept as they have stated they wanted a D top-4 roster player in part for return in trading their #1.

If im Linden, I take off the gloves and make Edler see the light. Can prob get Reinhart with the #2. He can accept a trade to Buffalo/Florida, or get picked up on waivers to Buffalo. His choice.

Linden already stated he likes Edler and that he isn't going anywhere. Sorry Edler haters.

Archived