The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

Hunter Shinkaruk has high end skill but keep in mind:

1. He has a dodgy hip

2. because of this dodgy hip he lost basically a year of development, however rehabbing the hip may mean he is in better physical shape now

I like Shinkaruk, but for me, this depends on who the other 'roster player' going is. Tanev? Hell no.

The trade is essentially Reinhart for Shinakurk, Ehlers and.. somebody else. It's a tough call, but it seems like a real hockey trade to me. I like Shinkaruk, but especially with the lost year and the crapped hip he is also 'most likely to be Jordan Shroeder"... Reinhart likely steps into that 2C hole next year caused by the leaving Kesler. We would have to find him a winger but he would make an awesome heir-apparent to Sedin.

I don't hate this deal... depending on who the 'other player' is. Anybody with more upside than 'warm body' may twinge me.

That is a stupid reason to trade someone, especially an 18 year old. Just because he had a hip injury doesn't make his hip "dodgy." He had successful surgery on it. Who cares if he missed a year. He is still a kid.

I also don't see how Reinhart will step right in. Nothing about him screams NHL ready yet.

roster player and shink

or

roster player and 6th

We shouldn't give up all 3, especially if the roster player is Tanev.

what is wrong with tanev dam it... i don't get why fans don't like tanev... he is huge for us.... huge!. i think one of our best d man actually. i would disperse of bieska and hamuis garrison and edler before him.

That is a stupid reason to trade someone, especially an 18 year old. Just because he had a hip injury doesn't make his hip "dodgy." He had successful surgery on it. Who cares if he missed a year. He is still a kid.

I also don't see how Reinhart will step right in. Nothing about him screams NHL ready yet.

let the player be higgins or hansen please!

what is wrong with tanev dam it... i don't get why fans don't like tanev... he is huge for us.... huge!. i think one of our best d man actually. i would disperse of bieska and hamuis garrison and edler before him.

.. He was saying that Tanev would be too valuable to us to give him up as well in the trade

@He-Lord. He was also passed over by 24 other teams. For all we know he could have other issues surrounding him. people who know him say he has a bad attitude. He could be putting on an act for the camera and be a complete cancer out side of the view of fans. Like I said he dropped from like 15 to 24th. there is something wrong with him and benning might see it and not like it. I would feel much more comfortable developing Reinhart rather than taking a chance on shinkaruk.

Why is everyone assuming we'll take Reinhart if we trade up for #1? The clearcut best player available in this year's draft is Ekblad. He's a potential franchise defenseman, similar in playing style to Weber and Chara. IMO it would be stupid to waste all those assets to get the first overall pick and then use it on Reinhart, as much as I like him as a player.

Shinkaruk isn't really of any use for Florida.

If indeed they want Ehler or Nylander, they will prioritized them over Shinkaruk. When you include Huberdeau, Barkov, Bjugstad, not much room left on that top 6, and they will need a veteran at some point.

Shinkaruk, 6th overall (Nylander/Ehlers/Ritchie), Roster Player (Tanev/stanton,hansen)

for Reinhart

Wow that's a steep price to pay for one player. They better believe Reinhart will be a star in this league.

This teams prospect pool would take a major hit with high skilled snipers. I don't know if I make that deal. I'd be very upset to see shinkaruk leave.

I wonder if we could work out a trade with Edmonton if we got the tenth, then we could package that with Tanev to get third and draft Draisaitl, Ekblad, Bennett or possibly Reinhart? We'd lose Kesler, but gain 3rd, probably a top prospect from anaheim, and keep our 6th. I'd love that, personally.

Archived