The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

Man this sucks. The more I think about it the more its starting to settle in that the price would have to be something like this. I wouldn't be so hesitant if we kept the 6th and traded Shinkaruk, Tanev, Hansen. At least we could replace Hunter with Ehlers/Nylander. We need this type of player in our system. I was ok with Tanev, Hansen, 6th b/c I knew we still would have Hunter as that dynamic winger.

Absolutely this, Reinhart is nowhere near the talent Ekblad is.

Don't forget Erik Johnson went like 3rd overall or something. Was Johnson as highly touted as Ekblad is now? To me it seems quality Dmen can be found later in the draft.

But I am no scout. I am legitimately curious about the Ekblad to Johnson comparison to anyone who is knowledgable about it and followed Johnson's draft year in 2006

Shinkaruk + 6th is hard to swallow, especially if the roster player is Tanev.

As much as Bieksa is a big part of this team I think Bieksa + 6th for Reinhart makes much more sense. Bieksa is on a Florida friendly contract (cap hit is higher than his salary) and he would be a huge part in mentoring their young players. In fact he would probably be named captain.

The Canucks are retooling and as much as I would want to keep Bieksa he is 33 and is free of a NTC on his contract. This deal wouldn't really hurt us long term and would give Benning his first major move.

While Reinhart > Shinkaruk it is hard to ignore that they averaged around the same number of goals in the dub. I don't think there is a huge drop from 1st to 6th, so giving up two valuable young players + a roster player is too big of a hit.

The four players I can all but guarantee are going nowhere are Sedin, Sedin, Hamhuis and Bieksa. Those are the veteran nucleus that whatever players/prospects coming back will be under the tutelage of.

It could be possible that Benning is offering Shinkaruk so he wouldn't have to give up Tanev. Benning might prefer to offer Garrison or Burrows as the roster player in the deal, rather than Tanev, so he offers Shink to make it worthwhile for Florida.

Don't forget Erik Johnson went like 3rd overall or something. Was Johnson as highly touted as Ekblad is now? To me it seems quality Dmen can be found later in the draft.

But I am no scout. I am legitimately curious about the Ekblad to Johnson comparison to anyone who is knowledgable about it and followed Johnson's draft year in 2006

Didn't Erik Johnson go 1st overall?

When Jones was drafted last year, here's what Bob McKenzie said, "Erik Johnson was a guy, a year before his draft wasn't really much on the radar. He became a late-blooming man-child that everybody jumped on the bandwagon for. Very raw"

Aaron Ekblad was the first person to be granted exceptional status since John Tavares. He's had 3 years of OHL experience and progressively got better. He knows how to deal with pressure. He's not going to turn into an Erik Johnson.

Shinkaruk is our best prospect offensively, please don't do this JB, Shink and Horvat should be untouchable...

I agree.

I'd actually seen a line in my head of Shinkaruk, Horvat and Kassian. Kassian should have it together by the time the other two are ready for primetime NHL action, and ho-ley-crap would that be a scary line if they gel. Power, Speed, Skill, defensive smarts and scoring mentality. Isn't that exactly what we wanted?

And a couple of Sedins to keep them calm and show them how to be professionals.

I don't like the idea of trading any of our immediate prospects; Shink, Horvat, Kassian, Jensen should all be sticking around. I realize you have to 'give to get' but if what we get isn't worth what we give, then it's no good.

Didn't Erik Johnson go 1st overall?

Yup your right. I think everyone would agree that he has been a 'disappointing' 1st overall selection. Still a decent NHLer but I bet St Louis picks a forward if they do it again. Toews, N Backstrom, J Staal were also drafted in the 1st round that year.

I think top end draft picks are best used on forwards. CHara, Subban, Weber were all drafted in 2nd round or later.

When Jones was drafted last year, here's what Bob McKenzie said, "Erik Johnson was a guy, a year before his draft wasn't really much on the radar. He became a late-blooming man-child that everybody jumped on the bandwagon for. Very raw"

Aaron Ekblad was the first person to be granted exceptional status since John Tavares. He's had 3 years of OHL experience and progressively got better. He knows how to deal with pressure. He's not going to turn into an Erik Johnson.

Bob knows best. Thanks

This trade would basically sacrifice depth for 1 single talented player. Whether its Ekblad or Reinhart the pressure on them would be massive. 6th + Tanev(?) + Shinkaruk would mean the 1st overall we'd draft would have to become at least as good as Stamkos/Tavares/Toews. Does anyone in this years draft even have that ceiling?

Either way it's an exciting time to be a Canuck fan. Either we end up with Reinhart or we keep Shink and draft someone great at 6th. Not to mention whatever they get for Kesler.

This may not be a playoff team again for a couple years but I like where things are heading for the future. It'll bring some excitement and interest back to a franchise that has frankly become quite stale in recent years

Benning knew that it would take more than chicken crap to get the pick. I knew shinkaruk would be involved, but I didn't think we'd have to add past that.

Shinkaruk + the 6th is a fair deal.

It may be fair but it removes a big part of our high skilled prospects. Something this team needs

On top of that it would basically be moving 2 prospects for the price of one. Why would FLA do that is Reinhart is a for sure.

Archived