The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elliot Friedman 30 Thoughts: Canucks ha have made offer for 1st overall pick

Guest Dasein

Yea but you also have to remember that I think ownership as well as many people on here believed that just hiring Linden would somehow restore faith in the Canucks and keep all the season ticket holders happy. They even sent out multiple emails saying that your season ticket could be refunded up until July 11th to try and keep people from Cancelling. Why would they extend the period that you could get your tickets refunded if they didn't plan to make a huge deal at the draft?

This is the first email that Linden sent out..He could have agreed to make move at the draft prior to signing on.

Maybe.

Maybe not.

We'll never know. It definitely was a PR move, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a hockey move. Those two are not mutually exclusive. It can be both, and I just happen to think it's both.

That's because I don't think Linden would put his legacy with the Canucks on the line just for a large sum of money. I think he does have more integrity than that. I don't see him as a guy who would sell out for cash that's all.

I think we just have to think what's more likely - that Linden was hired to make hockey decisions, or Linden signed on from the get go under the agreement to be a PR machine. For me it's the former but maybe you see it as the latter.

Guest Dasein

ZLPREqMk_bigger.jpeg

“We’ve made an effort to move and I’m not sure that’s going to happen.” http://ow.ly/3mahAO

I'm just going to quote myself because I forgot to add my opinion.

This is how it stands for now. A lot can stil change from now and the draft.

We'll see what happens. I'm not in it for predictions or arguments. Just want to see how it unfolds.

Please enlighten about this "massive B-grade prospect pool" of which you speak. It cannot be the Canucks, as they have one of the shallowest and weakest pools in the entire league.

Exactly, so please stop with the Shinkaruk, Jensen, and Horvat trade talk nonsense.

sorry i should say the massive average so-so prospects then.. so what? we have shinkaruk, Jensen, Horvat, + whoever we pick this year, + gaunce + cassel who's showing promise + whatever we get from Kesler trade fighting for 3 spots? the sedins will never be 3rd liner, not the rate they are paid at.. i'd take 1 or 2 top end talent over 3 or 4 so-so talents.., most of our so call TOP END talents is only rated as a 7.5/10. sure reports can be inaccurate.. but since we have at the very least 6 people competing for 3 spots in the next couple of years.. we can afford to move some of the prospect for prospect with more top end talent.. it's not like we won't be able to replace them over the next couple years since i don't see this team being a playoff team..

I'm just going to quote myself because I forgot to add my opinion.

This is how it stands for now. A lot can stil change from now and the draft.

We'll see what happens. I'm not in it for predictions or arguments. Just want to see how it unfolds.

This.

I would like to add, imo, Draisaitl may be the best player in this draft. I wonder about a trade with Edmonton or Calgary?

I think Edmonton would love Tanev and a pick swap.

we don't have one now?

No we have a future 2nd line center, 3 future 2nd line winger ( one will be put on the top line but not first line caliber) like 1 d prospect and a bunch of future bottom 6 players. No future 1st liners at all. Why do you think we are rated as having one of the poorest prospect pools?

No we have a future 2nd line center, 3 future 2nd line winger ( one will be put on the top line but not first line caliber) like 1 d prospect and a bunch of future bottom 6 players. No future 1st liners at all. Why do you think we are rated as having one of the poorest prospect pools?

We draft Ehlers.

Guest Dasein

We draft Ehlers.

Ehlers needs to put on about 20 pounds to be considered small is what one scout said about him I believe - I thought it was clever lol. The guy is very thin but he's also very skilled.

Anyways, I'm not sure Benning would go that route considering the division we are in. You might be in for a disappointment unless both Ehlers drops (ie, non-Pacific division teams pass on him) and we trade down. Maybe Nylander at #6, but probably not Ehlers IMO given our division (not for the lack of skill on Ehlers' part).

Ehlers needs to put on about 20 pounds to be considered small is what one scout said about him I believe - I thought it was clever lol. The guy is very thin but he's also very skilled.

Anyways, I'm not sure Benning would go that route considering the division we are in. You might be in for a disappointment unless both Ehlers drops (ie, non-Pacific division teams pass on him) and we trade down. Maybe Nylander at #6, but probably not Ehlers IMO given our division (not for the lack of skill on Ehlers' part).

No disappointment at all. I just think he will be a great player.

Not comparing the 2 but Kane is small and was on draft day as well.

Archived