The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Callahan signs extention with Lightning

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie 1m

Ryan Callahan and his agent expected this morning to finalize/sign off on contract with TB. Will be 5 or 6 yrs with likely AAV of $5.5M+.

Retweeted by Bob McKenzie

Andrew Gross @AGrossRecord 15m

If/when Cally signs extension with Lightning, Rangers will receive 2nd round pick in 2015 draft and send TB seventh-round pick that year

Not bad, especially considering he wanted 6+ per from NYR

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 8m

Regarding tentative new deal between Callahan and Bolts: it also includes a partial no-trade clause.

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 10m

Callahan camp did receive a few calls from other NHL teams once 12:01 a.m. ET hit last night when window opened for UFAs to be approached

Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun 4m

Callahan breakdown: $6 M/ $6.4 M/ $6.5 M/ $6.5 M/ $4.7 M/ $4.7 M. For an AAV of $5.8 M per

The Tampa Bay Lightning and pending unrestricted free agent Ryan Callahan have agreed to a six-year deal.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports that the deal will average $5.8 million a season and also carry a partial no trade clause.

“He's proven to be a fierce competitor and outstanding leader who fits very well with our team," said Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman.

Callahan was sent to the Lightning from the New York Rangers at the trade deadline on March 5 for Martin St. Louis.

“I couldn't be happier to be part of the Tampa Bay Lightning organization for the next six years and I am excited for this new chapter of my career,” Callahan said. “Tampa Bay has been a great place to live and play from the day I got there. As soon as the season ended I knew it was a place I wanted to be.”

In 20 games with the Lightning, Callahan amassed six goals and five assists, but was kept off of the scoresheet in the playoffs where the Lightning were swept in the first round by the Montreal Canadiens.

Callahan, 29, just finished the final season of a three-year deal worth $12.85 million. The native of Rochester, New York was reportedly seeking a seven-year, $49 million deal from the Rangers prior to the trade.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455656

Didnt know UFA's could be approached before July 1st by other teams. Must of switched in the new CBA. Thought TB had negotiating rights until the 1st.

They (any team) can discuss terms with players as of midnight last night but cannot pen a deal until the 1st :). As per new cba

Don't understand why he didn't take a discount to stay in his home state but took a discount to play in tampa

Because he didn't take a discount. Florida has the lowest tax rate in among all cities with NHL teams. He's pocketing a lot more money than he would elsewhere at 5.5

Didnt know UFA's could be approached before July 1st by other teams. Must of switched in the new CBA. Thought TB had negotiating rights until the 1st.

They can't negotiate specific deals ahead of July 1st (the first point they can actually sign UFAs) but they can discuss general terms. It was like that last year too, but teams weren't supposed to discuss general terms even but it was impossible to police so they opened it up more this year.

So officially that trade looks like:

To NYR:
Martin St Louis

2nd Round Pick 2015

To TBL
Ryan Calahan
1st Round Pick 2014
1st Round Pick 2015

7th Round Pick 2015

I guess any deal that ends with you being in the finals is OK but wow did Tampa get a lot out of that.

So officially that trade looks like:

To NYR:

Martin St Louis

2nd Round Pick 2015

To TBL

Ryan Calahan

1st Round Pick 2014

1st Round Pick 2015

7th Round Pick 2015

I guess any deal that ends with you being in the finals is OK but wow did Tampa get a lot out of that.

St.Louis is a superstar.

Who provided a 1 team list demanding a trade.

He did that because he wanted to play with a long time good friend who just got bought out. Wonder how Marty feels about not having Richards anymore, the sole reason he wanted to be a Ranger.

Archived