The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bennett is a better player than Reinhart

*Buzzsaw*

A team like the L.A Kings, Boston Bruins, might take Bennet over Reinhart. Bennet is a beast. His IQ and play making ability might not be as good, but yes, he is faster, and more physical. Ranked 1 but ISS as the most complete foward and I agree with that. Bennet is a Left Wing, Reinhart is a center. Benning wants to beef up the center position.

I understand what Linden and Benning are looking for when they talk about drafting Reinhart.

They believe you start the rebuilding process for a team by drafting a new team captain in the making.

Someone who has character and skill and who can create the atmosphere that other good players thrive in.

They see Reinhart as that person. And no question Reinhart has a lot of the requirements to fill the role.

Which is also why they should not trade Horvat.

My concern is they will overlook a potential game breaker in Bennett.

Which is why they should not trade Shinkaruk.

It's hard to imagine the Canucks going wrong taking Reinhart, Ekblad, or Bennett if they have the opportunity as all are great young prospects. But when it comes down to it hockey IQ is very often what makes the difference between a player translating their junior success to the pros. Reinhart has unquestionably the highest hockey IQ in this draft. He controls the game and makes the players around him much better. He also has that clutch ability and leadership that teams covet. He is a player who can both lead by example and also raise his game and put his team on his back at critical times. I have seen him play a lot and he is going to be a very good player.

NYtimes article

Like many Canadians, the brothers Max, Griffin and Sam Reinhart grew up playing hockey.

Their competitive nature came out during mini-stick hockey games at the family home in Vancouver, British Columbia, resulting in broken windows as the boys simulated playing together in the N.H.L., where their father, Paul, spent 11 seasons as a defenseman.

I think every kid at some point plays mini-stick hockey with the two nets, and then play against each other and usually have a friend or something over to make it two-on-two or play one-on-one with one goalie, Griffin, 20, said. Its a lot of fun, and I think its something, as you grow up, you obviously remember.

Sam, 18, is set to become the third Reinhart selected in five drafts on Friday, after Max (64th overall in 2010 by the Calgary Flames) and Griffin (fourth overall in 2012 by the Islanders).

Im pretty excited for that, Sam said. Saw it firsthand when Griffin was able to do that in Pittsburgh, and that was probably the first time I really started to visualize that.

Playing for the Kootenay Ice, Sam finished the 2013-14 regular season fifth in the Western Hockey League in points with 105 in 60 games. He added 23 points in 13 playoff games and won the leagues Player of the Year award.

He had a very good season this year, but he took his game to another level in the playoffs, said David Burstyn, the director of scouting for McKeens Hockey, which publishes an annual draft guide. Sam is arguably the smartest player in this years N.H.L. entry draft. He approaches the game very similarly to a Ron Francis type of player. He sees plays unfold well before his peers do.

McKeens and International Scouting Services ranked Sam, a 6-foot-1, 185-pound center, as No. 1 for the draft in Philadelphia. N.H.L. Central Scouting rated him third among North Americans.

He is one of 21 draft-eligible players with relatives that have previously gone through the process. Dominic Turgeon, the son of Pierre and nephew of Sylvain, will likely have his named called, as will Ryan MacInnis, son of Al. Others include Brendan Lemieux, son of Claude and nephew of Jocelyn; Josh Wesley, son of Glen; Daniel Audette, son of Donald; and Ryan Donato, son of Ted.

Griffin Reinhart, who has completed his final year of junior eligibility with the Edmonton Oil Kings of the W.H.L., said he and his brothers had not discussed much about a possible reunion in the N.H.L., even though the Flames and the Islanders hold top-five picks.

As a defenseman, Griffin got firsthand experience trying to contain Sam the last three seasons as they played in the same division.

Hes really smart, and his hockey sense is probably his biggest attribute, Griffin said. He makes a lot of defensemen in that league look like they shouldnt belong there. Hes really tough to contain, and I think hell continue that at the next level.

Sam has represented Canada twice at the under-18 world championship, winning gold in 2013, and at the 2014 world junior championship. He got a brief taste of the N.H.L. pace this spring when he was invited to the senior national teams world championship camp and dressed as an extra forward during an exhibition game.

It was pretty amazing to see just how I handled Practice 1 compared to Practice 3 and really picked up the pace, Sam said. I felt comfortable and pretty quick out there. Really turned out to be a positive experience, and its really paying off right now.

Projected as a two-way center, Sam needs to work on finding an extra gear in his skating, Burstyn said.

Paul Reinhart, who played 648 N.H.L. games in his career with Atlanta, Calgary and Vancouver, is proud of his sons success in hockey.

I think the best moment in any mans life or any fathers life is when his son surpasses his accomplishments, and theyre well on their way, if not already there, he said. In that respect, its been very satisfying.

Change my mind on what? Not thinking Reinhart Bennett or Ekblad is worth sacrificing the farm over? I am not the one who's looking at inflated stats of a player and calling all the scouts wrong about his draft rankings or projections.

As I've said before look at Reinharts stats from 2012-13 and you can see much more down to earth statistics.

Throwing the farm at them? It's one prospect and a pick that is an upgrade. Much more of a risk in Ehlers and Nylander than there is in Reinhart. Talk about a typical Canuck fan overreacting as per usual.

Shinkaruk is the farm now? More like you have a hard on for him which is quite evident. Since we're talking about stats, Shinkaruk has now missed a year and his production has slipped since Etem left. McNally sure recovered nicely from missing a year of hockey eh? Shinkaruk is such a surefire thing. Looks like Benning was right about Seguin. Where was he again this year in the playoffs? A no show? I trust Benning's opinion over your's or anyone else who has their granny panties in a bunch. AH CDC, It's so CUTE.

peaches5, thanks for reminding me why I left CDC cause of dumb sh!ts like you.

Reinhart is better imo but another thing for fans to consider in this case is nationality.

I much prefer the world juniors and the Olympics when Canucks prospects and players are on the Canadian team.

How much fun did we have cheering for Schroeder or Kesler in international play?

And Kesler's dedication to the American side is part of his desire to leave the team, isn't it?

Leave Bennett to the states; draft the best Canadian kids like Ekblad and Reinhart if we get the 1st overall, Ritchie or Virtanen if we stay at 6th.

Edit: corrected spelling.

Both Bennett and Reinhart are going to end up as reliable second liners.... the question is, whether they develop further.

Bennett is slightly behind in points put up, but he only has two years in junior compared to four for Reinhart.

Bennett is 7 months younger, slightly lighter weight, less physical development... but that should come.

The upside as far as Bennett for me, is his speed, puck handling and playmaking off the rush... that is something you can't teach.

Reinhart makes a nice pass, but he doesn't have the speed and puckhandling.

Reinhart is probably better defensively, but that's something you can learn with age.

Although I generally like younger players, Reinhart is the better player. Watching highlight packages doesn't provide much insight into their future success. They are both great players and should be first liners. I'd go with Reinhart for the following reasons (I think he is better than RNH too).

• He was on the first unit 5-3 PK on Canada WJ team (the only forward) as an undrafted that is very rare.
  • In 232 WHL games he only took 41 PIM
  • In 203 regular season WHL games Reinhart was 1.25PPG whereas Bennett 1.12 over 117 games in the OHL.
  • Reinhart is a bit bigger than Bennett
  • Local guy (if that matters)

you should contact benning and tell him his head is in his ass...because he doesn't seem to agree with you.

Oh give it a rest. So he has a different opinion than our GM. We can't all be sheep and follow whatever the GM says blindly like you Joe. You were on the "trust Gillis" bandwagon and look where MG got us. All your posts are nothing but things like "hmm trust the GM or someone on a forum....". Why not let the guy have his own opinion and if you disagree with his view points, then discuss why you think a different way to go is better. And try for the love of god to research your own reasons why instead of always falling back on the "well the GM says so. So he is probably right"

If you said that and Feaster was our GM they would put you in the loony bin.

Change my mind on what? Not thinking Reinhart Bennett or Ekblad is worth sacrificing the farm over? I am not the one who's looking at inflated stats of a player and calling all the scouts wrong about his draft rankings or projections.

As I've said before look at Reinharts stats from 2012-13 and you can see much more down to earth statistics.

He isn't the same player now as he was then :picard:

Archived