The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] VAN is trading Garrison

I wonder if this is a play at getting *another* top10 pick. If Benning is trying for two or three t10 picks this draft? Or even working an effort to get the #1 AND 4-7 range pick.

I'm still not that delighted with giving up Shinkaruk for any part of that just yet, but I suppose it's a have vs want sort of deal. I think Shinkaruk has the potential to be the game breaker the Canucks have lacked for the last 10 years, since the WCE sort of tailed off.

Out: Kesler, Garrison ?

In: 10th? 1st? 3rd?

Could be very interesting day here.

why would we want him?

I mean i would want Fillpula, but i just don't see that happening. Im just basically spitballin here. I personally think Connolly still has at least great/good serviceable 3rd line gritty two way winger potential. Im not saying he would be the only piece.

That doesn't mean much when he cannot skate. his defense is suspect and his "hard" shot hardly ever hits the net.

But no he's awesome.

I never said he was "awesome". I just don't get why we would want to trade him unless it allows us to get more high picks in this draft to accompany our 6th.

I understand if he's willing to waive that he's one of only a few tradable assets we might have. But while Kesler being traded would leave us with a hole on our 2nd line, trading Garrison would leave us with a hole on defense. And I believe there are more options to fill a hole on center via free agency than there is to fill a defense hole via the same route.

Whatever. So far, I've been happy with management, and there's a reason they are in their positions and I work out of an office for a sporting goods retailer. Until they show to make bonehead moves, I will trust their judgement. I just don't see the bigger picture yet.

They probably asked Edler early on, he said no way, they moved to Garrison and he reluctantly agreed..

I don't like this move, I prefer Garrison over Edler. I think both would relish the chance to play with Subban though.

I think that if you're genuinely sick of the endless speculation and waiting, "endless" being the key word here, you might want to stay away from sport altogether and also get yourself a nice 9-5 career whereby the endless speculation of overtime is never an idea, as your wife awaits your great presence for dinner at 5:00pm sharp.

Calm down there cupcake. I make the meals around here.

I never said he was "awesome". I just don't get why we would want to trade him unless it allows us to get more high picks in this draft to accompany our 6th.

I understand if he's willing to waive that he's one of only a few tradable assets we might have. But while Kesler being traded would leave us with a hole on our 2nd line, trading Garrison would leave us with a hole on defense. And I believe there are more options to fill a hole on center via free agency than there is to fill a defense hole via the same route.

Whatever. So far, I've been happy with management, and there's a reason they are in their positions and I work out of an office for a sporting goods retailer. Until they show to make bonehead moves, I will trust their judgement. I just don't see the bigger picture yet.

ah. I see. I hear ya and I agree. I'm happy with management as well. Exciting times. Big changes coming ahead.

Because he's still an excellent prospect even if he tops out as a 3rd liner.

He is a gamer, a lot like Boone Jenner.

He plays a finess game, not ideal for 3rd liners, Boone Jenner is a center, 20lbs heavier, younger and put up 16 goals in his first NHL season, Connolly can't even crack the roster over less heralded prospects.

Edler > Garrison imo. However, with Edlers recent play, it's almost a wash. Hopefully, Big Dick Willy can bring back the old Edler.

I agree with your first statement - only because (unlike most on CDC), I believe Edler can bounce back to his former self with some guidance.

However, if Edler doesn't return to form, I'd say he is by FAR a lesser d-man than Garrison. Edler was positively horrible last season.

He plays a finess game, not ideal for 3rd liners, Boone Jenner is a center, 20lbs heavier, younger and put up 16 goals in his first NHL season, Connolly can't even crack the roster over less heralded prospects.

You miss so many things in the comparison. You miss injuries, handling, and fit. Connolly is a locker room leader and hard worker. He's not a powderpuff.

I'm absolutely certain Connolly will be a quality NHL player and will wear a letter at some point.

Archived