The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] VAN selects Jake Virtanen 6th Overall

Strombone1

?

Marketing. Puts fans in seats. Gets the media hyped.

Before the Canucks is a sport to you and I, it is business to the owners and management group.

Winning puts fans in seats. That's it. Hypothetically, let's say the Canucks miss the playoffs for 5 straight seasons. Do you reall think anyone is going to say "You know, normally I wouldn't buy tickets to see such a bad team, but heck, Virtanen is from Abbotsford, let's go!" Of course not.

Winning is the best business model, plain and simple.

Thornton is 35 and could be traded shortly. Getzlaf is 30 and could be retired by the time Nylander is in his prime. And of course there's no evidence that big players neutralize skill players. Getzlaf and Kopitar aren't dominant because they're big, they're dominant because of their incredible skill level.

But even if Nylander would be ineffective against big players (which there's no evidence for), avoiding him because of a handful of players in the division is INSANE. The draft is a long term decision. These kids will be in their prime between 7-10 years from now. Who knows what our division will look like then? There could be expansion or realignment. We have no idea. Avoiding certain players because of Getzlaf and Kopitar is absolutely nuts.

I don't think it is about avoiding certain players. It is about building the type of team that Benning feels they can win with going forward.

I find it hilarious that for years peple have pissed and moaned about the Canucks drafting small guys like Schroeder over bigger, more physical players. Now the Canucks do that and everyone wants the small guys again.

I am glad that The Canucks have a vision for what they want their team to be going forward ad all their moves are working towards that.

I love this pick.

Ranked 1st physically, 2nd skating, 4th competitiveness and 5th in Puck skills he's from BC and loves the canucks seems like a no brainer to me.

One thing i'd heard earlier today about Virtanen is that he played injured last season so his numbers could have been better and sounds like he's got a real edge and a bit of a warrior.

Really like this kid got a good feeling about him!

Congrats to all those who stuck with Virtanen through the last 3 months. I had my heart set on Nick Ehlers and could not believe we would take Jake at #6.

I was wrong and all those who thought we would pick him were right B)

Lets hope he turns into the power winger we all know he can be !

Nothing wrong with being passionate in your beliefs.

regards,

G.

The majority of ticket / merchandise buyers are casual fans who won't even know who Aaron Ekblad or Jake Virtanen is. They don't care who they are until they reach stardom. The one point that will sell to them is the fact that the Canucks drafted a home town boy from Abbotsford.

Well, Virtanen is never going to reach "stardom". So therefore, the casual fans will never know him. Apart from the occasional AHL call-up for injuries, later down the road.

Ritchie carried his 6th seeded team to the OHL playoffs, who later on eliminated top seeded Kingston Frontenacs. Virtanen played on a WHL top team, and was far from being their best player. He was also a non-factor in the playoffs for them. People will scream "INJURY MADE HIM WORSE!" but i'm not buying into that. Virtanens hockey IQ isn't as high as those guys. Right now, he doesn't use his teammates good enough, which is definitely a concern.

difference between Ritchie and Virtanen is V is a way better skater, and the Canucks don't need just size to compete in the pacific, but guys who can skate well. Plus I think Virt gets the edge in hands as well

One more time for the "hockey challenged"

Jake Virtanen's Player Profile
  • Speed – Big man speed with acceleration, agility, balance. Won the 30 metre sprint, backward and forward, at the CHL Top Prospects game.
  • Shot – Big gun, quick finger, hits target, penetrates net.
  • Power forward – Jake Virtanen has the size, skating, drive and physicality teams look for in a power forward – Jake is probably the purest power forward in the draft.
  • Improvements to make – Judging by his performance in January (13 goals and 20 points in 14 games), Jake has already come a long way. However, he should continue to work on using his teammates better, push for excellence in his defensive work and exert his physicality on a constant basis to win puck battles.
  • Draft placement – Most have Jake at or around the top 10 now but if he continues to produce at or improve upon his January pace he could go significantly higher because his size and physical skills are as elite as just about anyone in the draft.
  • Profile from: Eldon MacDonald and Chris Ralph of The Hockey Writers - updated Feb. 26th

@IssHockey - "Uses his size exceptionally well. Combines skill-set on puck w/ fiery intensity" -Nov. 27th, 2013

Twice more ;)

Archived