The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Depending on how he does at the WJC will determine a lot about next year for him in my opinion. That's a fairly good measuring stick, and if Calgary doesn't go far in the playoffs I could see him getting a cup of coffee with Comets for there finish to the season and playoffs.

If he gets 15 AHL games this year, maybe more if they have a good playoff run, I could see him getting a look right away, but at the same time, we won't even need him to be ready yet in my opinion. He needs to work on his D game a bit like most prospects, and he could do that at the junior level still. Even though he will literally make people look like they are standing still on a regular basis.

If he can skate like Stamkos, hit like Ovechkin and shoot like Naslund He's gonna be a force. He reminds me of a Stamkos/Ovechkin Hybrid. He doesn't have the hands yet, but he's big fast and can Shoot with the best of them.

Don't believe he is eligible to play AHL this season or next season for the same reason Horvat couldn't play AHL this season.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure the Hitmen will be eliminated from WHL playoffs early so once his WHL season is over he'll be a ble to join Utica in th AHL. They should be making a deep run so it shuld be a good experience for him.

However, for next year I would love to see him traded to a better team with a better system so he can develop properly.

• Upvote 1

he'd be eligible if the hitmen don't make the playoffs or is kicked early and utica is still playing, which looks like a very strong possibility. if utica goes deep/all the way he could get around 15 games or more, depending on whether green wants to throw him into the already successful mix of talent we have.

I reckon he will because I think Jensen will be up with us for the Canucks run and if Jake can contribute offensively it'll help both his and Utica's cause since they seem to struggle a bit without Jensen.

Even if he doesn't get to play it would be invaluable to practice under a good coach who demands that players buy into the system. Seeing the Virtanen highlights above, not convinced that the Hitmen have any sort of a working system.. they looked lost like the Canucks under Torts

• Upvote 1

It would be nice for him to be traded to a contender, but I'm almost inclined to say that playing a few playoff games in the AHL will be better for his overall development because the level of hovkey will be a fair bit higher than WHL playoffs. I havn't watched AHL playoffs much, but I expect them to be similar to what a good regualr season NHL game is like in terms of speed, and physicality.

at the same time, finding Virtanen a spot in the lineup will not be easy for the Comets who are relavtively deep throughout the forward group. So in that case better to be playing than just practising.

there's also the possibility of the hitmen trading him to someone making a memorial cup run.

I would be so happy if that happened.

Don't believe he is eligible to play AHL this season or next season for the same reason Horvat couldn't play AHL this season.

You're right. Jake is not eligible for the Comets this year or next year. However, maybe they could get him in the AHL for a short conditioning stint like they did with Bo. Of course this would chew a year of his ELC and the nucks would have to play him in the NHL after. I do not think that this is likely to happen though. Far mor likely they send him back to junior after the WJC.

Pretty sure the Hitmen will be eliminated from WHL playoffs early so once his WHL season is over he'll be a ble to join Utica in th AHL. They should be making a deep run so it shuld be a good experience for him.

However, for next year I would love to see him traded to a better team with a better system so he can develop properly.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too and hoping for.

You're right. Jake is not eligible for the Comets this year or next year. However, maybe they could get him in the AHL for a short conditioning stint like they did with Bo. Of course this would chew a year of his ELC and the nucks would have to play him in the NHL after. I do not think that this is likely to happen though. Far mor likely they send him back to junior after the WJC.

that would be very unlikely. he'd have to get injured in the preseason like bo did. and a conditioning stint would not burn a year unless he came back to the nhl after that stint and then proceeded to play 10 NHL games.

Virtanen with 2 assists, +1, 2PIM as the Hitmen rout the Oil Kings 6-2. A very chippy game and Virtanen was involved. He was chirping at someone at the final buzzer.

On the year:

19GP 7g 14a 21pts +5 34PIM

Update: He was named the 2nd star. Play-by-play guy said he was dangerous around the net tonight. Colour guy said he ran guys over and skated hard tonight.

Edited by Canucks1219

Finished watching a couple minutes ago. Recorded nearly all of Virtanen's shifts and I plan to compile them into a video. I got the idea to do that midway through the first so there's nothing from early in the game. He got into it (sort of) but there wasn't anything major that was missed aside from that and a powerplay that did nothing. I'll put this in the beginning of the video, but there are some clips that skip a few seconds. This is exactly how it is in the archive so there is nothing I can do about the "lost" footage. Luckily the play wasn't disrupted often.

Here was the lineup for the Hitmen in this game:

Rankin-Tambellini-Lang
Helgeson-Fazleev-Virtanen
Peterson-Karnaukhov-Stallard
Sanheim*-Draude-Malenstyn

*twin brother of Travis Sanheim

So even with Helgeson back the original top line of Helgeson-Tambellini-Virtanen wasn't reunited. Makes sense though because that Rankin-Tamb.-Lang line absolutely exploded for offense last game. Unfortunately, this means that Virtanen is stuck on the second line again. It's also now clear that he is playing as a RW this season. As for special teams, Virtanen no longer plays on the penalty kill but, obviously, gets first unit powerplay time.

• Upvote 1