The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

i wouldent be to worried about Virtanen ive watched him this year and last year and he is competing harder and is developing a 2 way game as well, using his team mates better and setting up for an NHL career... he is doing everything asked for and once he gets his scoring touch back hes gonna go on a tear...he is still getting more than a PPG after surgury and learning to play a bit of a different style than hes used to...this kid is going to be a stud in a few years.

That's where analysis of stats alone is flawed. So many people wanna just look at the numbers and say that so and so is this or that.

Without actually watching the games and gaining context of how they're playing, numbers alone don't tell the whole story.

There's a reason why guys can absolutely dominate junior, and then go on and do nothing at the next level. If a player doesn't develop somewhat of a two way game, they're not likely to ever make it to the NHL.

If Virtanen can put up around a PPG while being responsible defensively and playing physical, that's fantastic. Having him put up 90-100 points, while not developing a complete game doesn't really help his chances.

That's where analysis of stats alone is flawed. So many people wanna just look at the numbers and say that so and so is this or that.

Without actually watching the games and gaining context of how they're playing, numbers alone don't tell the whole story.

There's a reason why guys can absolutely dominate junior, and then go on and do nothing at the next level. If a player doesn't develop somewhat of a two way game, they're not likely to ever make it to the NHL.

If Virtanen can put up around a PPG while being responsible defensively and playing physical, that's fantastic. Having him put up 90-100 points, while not developing a complete game doesn't really help his chances.

Generally speaking I'd agree with this. I do know there is some talk behind closed doors in Calgary about why Virtanen isn't getting more pts here/there. But yeah, most definitely he was sent back to Jr. and told by JB/WD to work on specific parts of his game (most of the time that means work on overall defence unless your name is BoHo:).

Kind of remarkable how one of the supposedly best players in the country couldn't even get a point in a 9-5 victory over the Rebels a couple games ago though.....I mean come on, there were 27pts dished out on the score-sheet for the Hitmen that game and Virt didn't even get a greasy second assist...... :).

Generally speaking I'd agree with this. I do know there is some talk behind closed doors in Calgary about why Virtanen isn't getting more pts here/there. But yeah, most definitely he was sent back to Jr. and told by JB/WD to work on specific parts of his game (most of the time that means work on overall defence unless your name is BoHo:).

Kind of remarkable how one of the supposedly best players in the country couldn't even get a point in a 9-5 victory over the Rebels a couple games ago though.....I mean come on, there were 27pts dished out on the score-sheet for the Hitmen that game and Virt didn't even get a greasy second assist...... :).

But again, without watching the game and gaining context, it's hard to say. He could have been feeding his linemates great pass after great pass and they just couldn't finish.

I do know that Red Deer also has one of the best junior defensemen in the country too in Fleury. He was probably assigned to shutdown the top line that night, and clearly did a good job. Connor Bleackley is also a pretty good shutdown center in his own right, who also probably had a hand in shutting down the top line.

Just like in the NHL, top players don't hit the score sheet every night.

Virtanen has scored to make it 2-1 for the Hitmen.

Update:

Now tied at 2.

Update:

Now 3-2 for the Warriors.

Update:

3-3 tie. The scorers (Fazleev, Virtanen, Helgeson) play on the second line. Or at least they did the last game. So I'm curious to see if Virtanen has any assists but the FREAKIN' WHL BOXSCORE has not updated once!

Edited by Canucks1219

Update:

Now tied at 2.

Update:

Update:

3-3 tie. The scorers (Fazleev, Virtanen, Helgeson) play on the second line. Or at least they did the last game. So I'm curious to see if Virtanen has any assists but the FREAKIN' WHL BOXSCORE has not updated once!

thanks for the updates keep them coming.

Update:

Now tied at 2.

Update:

Update:

thanks for the update. Noticed WHL's website is not not updating right now.

For what it's worth:

Brad Curle @BCurle_Hitmen
Hockey Canada take note! Jake Virtanen with a sensational goal to give @WHLHitmen a 2-1 lead over MJ midway through the first period. #wow

...But that is from the play-by-play guy for the Hitmen... Who is, of course, a pretty big Hitmen-homer. :- )

Update:

4-3 Hitmen on the PP. Lang with the goal.

Edited by Canucks1219

For what it's worth:

Brad Curle @BCurle_Hitmen

Hockey Canada take note! Jake Virtanen with a sensational goal to give @WHLHitmen a 2-1 lead over MJ midway through the first period. #wow

...But that is from the play-by-play guy for the Hitmen... Who is, of course, a pretty big Hitmen-homer. :- )

hopefully someone uploads the goal soon :)

Virtanen scores quite a few highlight reel goals with his speed.

I'd imagine it was pretty nice.

It was a soft wrister from the point. The goalie was distracted and looking around and didn't see it coming- oh wait...that was the timbits game at intermission. Nevermind.

It was a soft wrister from the point. The goalie was distracted and looking around and didn't see it coming- oh wait...that was the timbits game at intermission. Nevermind.

Sign that kid up. At least he gets his shots though #releaseweber lol

Edited by Gstank29

I'm not watching the game (by the way) but will probably do another shift-compilation video later. I need to catch up on the Canucks game, which I have paused at the opening puckdrop, and obviously watch the Hitmen game, so it probably won't be uploaded till tomorrow, sorry.

How far into the game are you? The 2nd period should be starting soon.

I'm not watching the game (by the way) but will probably do another shift-compilation video later. I need to catch up on the Canucks game, which I have paused at the opening puckdrop, and obviously watch the Hitmen game, so it probably won't be uploaded till tomorrow, sorry.

yeah bro your last video rocked

yeah bro your last video rocked

Thanks! I'll keep doing them as long as people enjoy them. All I want in return is that I get to choose which games to watch because I'm not going to do every game, haha.

Update:

6-3 Hitmen lead. Helgeson with his second goal of the night, this one on the PP.

Update:

7-3 Hitmen. Loch Morrison with his second goal of the season. Rout is on in Calgary.

Update:

8-3 Hitmen. Tambellini with a goal. Rout continues. 3 goals (5 unanswered) in 1:21!

Edited by Canucks1219