The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

He's been using his teammates a little better this year which is very encouraging.

Still, I wish he was better away from the puck. Stick in the air alot, and doesn't look engaged in the play unless he has the puck.

Needs better coaching IMO. The whole team seems to do this, which means it's not just Virtanen not getting it but a coaching problem.

Granted it is just highlights, but it looks like Virtanen is always the one driving the play. Takes the puck up the ice himself with speed into the zone, to either shoot or make a play. Does his C ever get the puck? Would like to see what he'd do with a good playmaking C, but then maybe it's his fault for always taking it.

4:47-4:57

Makes a defenceman fall to the ice twice, once when trying to check him and again a few seconds later where he missed hitting him on the boards and took out the linesman instead :lol:

But yeah, have to love the way he does everything at speed, and can certainly dangle with the puck and make plays. Two strides and he's up to speed with everyone else on the ice, a couple more and he's gone.

Granted it is just highlights, but it looks like Virtanen is always the one driving the play. Takes the puck up the ice himself with speed into the zone, to either shoot or make a play. Does his C ever get the puck? Would like to see what he'd do with a good playmaking C, but then maybe it's his fault for always taking it.

4:47-4:57

Makes a defenceman fall to the ice twice, once when trying to check him and again a few seconds later where he missed hitting him on the boards and took out the linesman instead :lol:

But yeah, have to love the way he does everything at speed, and can certainly dangle with the puck and make plays. Two strides and he's up to speed with everyone else on the ice, a couple more and he's gone.

Here's the thing: this isn't a highlight pack. Literally, from the first goal onwards I made it a conscious effort to record every single shift. If it looks like a highlight package then that's awesome! :- )

Amazing!

Will you be able to do this sort of thing more often?

Hopefully, yes! I plan to do this sort of thing with other prospects in the future, though it will be limited to the CHL prospects. The thing is, I'm buying the archived games legitimately from WHL Live (it's about $4 for archives) so I can't go crazy. Still, $4 for a game that you know isn't going to be an absolute snoozfest is pretty nice. I'm planning on doing the same kind of video for McCann's last game vs. London. Then hopefully a Cassels game later on.

• Upvote 1

Here's the thing: this isn't a highlight pack. Literally, from the first goal onwards I made it a conscious effort to record every single shift. If it looks like a highlight package then that's awesome! :- )

Perhaps it looked that way because whenever Calgary was in possession it seemed he had the puck most of the time.

He's been using his teammates a little better this year which is very encouraging.

Still, I wish he was better away from the puck. Stick in the air alot, and doesn't look engaged in the play unless he has the puck.

Greene will see that Virt learns a complete game when he plays for the Comets. Really a shame he doesn't play on a team that has good coaching. Would be great if he got traded. He could use another year in jrs with a good coach.

Greene will see that Virt learns a complete game when he plays for the Comets. Really a shame he doesn't play on a team that has good coaching. Would be great if he got traded. He could use another year in jrs with a good coach.

If Calgary truly is a poor place for him, where can he play next year?

From the little I've seen of him, it struck me he's strong enough and fast enough that he doesn't really belong playing Jr next year-he should be playing people who can challenge his speed and strength at least somewhat. From what others have written on this thread it would be surprising if he's ready to gain WD's trust defensively. As quite a few posters have pointed out he's not eligible to play in the AHL next year.

Unless he can make the Canucks he'd be in Jr. and if the Hitmen don't trade him he may have the same coaching that people are questioning this year.

All this could mean he arrives in Utica in 2016 still raw.

btw, Travis Green's performance last year and this has to be getting some notice in NHL offices.