The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Thanks! I'll keep doing them as long as people enjoy them. All I want in return is that I get to choose which games to watch because I'm not going to do every game, haha.

Update:

6-3 Hitmen lead. Helgeson with his second goal of the night, this one on the PP.

Update:

7-3 Hitmen. Loch Morrison with his second goal of the season. Rout is on in Calgary.

Update:

8-3 Hitmen. Tambellini with a goal. Rout continues. 3 goals (5 unanswered) in 1:21!

Thanks for making these videos I and many others appreciate the hard work and effort. Its nice(like someone said above) to see the players whole game instead of highlights!! Its seems Jake is always buzzing when on the ice. His playmaking and passing abilities have improved a lot. Plays hard and mixes things up. And has a great shot .

This kid is unreal. Once he learns how to play a 2-way game hes going to be extremely valuable. Ive noticed the Virtanen bashers have pretty much evaporated. Kid reminds me a lot of Perry but with more speed... one can hope.

This.. alot of people just have no patience or hated the pick because their own guy never got picked. Looks like Jake is just starting to roll into form after missing training camp and games at the beggining of the season.

This.. alot of people just have no patience or hated the pick because their own guy never got picked. Looks like Jake is just starting to roll into form after missing training camp and games at the beggining of the season.

For sure. Jake has played in 11 games since the Super Series and he has 14 points (7g, 7a) in those games.

Even with the whole no training camp/shoulder rehab stuff, Virtanen has been producing points relatively consistently all year. Only once has a pointless streak reached two games (Nov.4-5). Aside from those two games, every other time he has been held pointless (5 games), he has collected at least one point in the following game. Including his two-game "slump", here are his bounceback games .

1 point game x2

2 point game x2

3 point game x2

Those are pretty good ways to get back on track.

I know some people were concerned with the actual goal production (3g in first 11 games), but he was able to find other ways to contribute when one part of his game was not clicking.

For sure. Jake has played in 11 games since the Super Series and he has 14 points (7g, 7a) in those games.

Even with the whole no training camp/shoulder rehab stuff, Virtanen has been producing points relatively consistently all year. Only once has a pointless streak reached two games (Nov.4-5). Aside from those two games, every other time he has been held pointless (5 games), he has collected at least one point in the following game. Including his two-game "slump", here are his bounceback games .

1 point game x2

2 point game x2

3 point game x2

Those are pretty good ways to get back on track.

I know some people were concerned with the actual goal production (3g in first 11 games), but he was able to find other ways to contribute when one part of his game was not clicking.

Your vids are like crack, we need more!

Your vids are like crack, we need more!

Virtanen and Sanheim leave the Hitmen on Thursday to head to the selection camp for the World Junior team. If all goes well, Virtanen won't be playing a WHL game for a while.

I'd like to record his games but I don't know if there is an official Canadian stream for the World Juniors. It needs to be official because I want to be able to rewind the broadcast and those "other" methods don't allow that.

Virtanen and Sanheim leave the Hitmen on Thursday to head to the selection camp for the World Junior team. If all goes well, Virtanen won't be playing a WHL game for a while.

I'd like to record his games but I don't know if there is an official Canadian stream for the World Juniors. It needs to be official because I want to be able to rewind the broadcast and those "other" methods don't allow that.

Thinking both are locks. Jake should be a lock for top pp time on the left side as well. But we've seen errors made in the past.

And Perry's a winner at every level he's played at:

OHL championship (2005), Memorial Cup (2005), WJC Gold (2005), Stanley Cup (2007), Olympic Gold (2010, 2014)

Gonna be tough to top what Perry's done so far, and as the poster above mentioned, 50 goals at the NHL is not a joke. Jake would have to work extremely hard to reach that.

Watching him play his last two games has been a real treat. He was easily one of the best (or at least top 2) players in both games. Seemingly every shift for him in both games were "good" shifts. The Hitmen beyond Virtanen, Tambellini, and Sanheim aren't much.

His speed is as advertised. He often takes the puck down the right side and around the back of the net with complete ease as no opposition defender can keep up. There are instances of the Junior league left-to-right move entering the offensive zone that won't be easy to pull of at the professional level. Jake is not excessively physical but does finish checks and will be at the heart of a scrum if there is one. He is also good at receiving checks, maybe an underrated trait, with the checker sometimes being the one to fall when trying to hit Virtanen. He loves to blast away on the powerplay (which worked successfully against Moose Jaw) and had a number of opportunities with that wrist shot. I was hoping to see him shoot off the rush but that didn't really happen much. He is a much better passer than anyone ever gave him credit for coming into the year. His passes back to Sanheim on the PP are sometimes too hard but in general it has been good. A criticism we all heard was that he could learn to use his teammates better and he has done just that. He will always be the shooter on his line, but there were a couple times where he found his teammates in great places for scoring opportunities, which was very encouraging.

Defensively he's got work to do, as many skill-players do. He can sometimes be slow on the backcheck and can be a bit of a "spectator/wanderer" at times in his own end. Luckily, this sort of thing can be coached, and with a better understanding of the defensive side to go with his size and speed, he could become quite reliable defensively.

Thinking both are locks. Jake should be a lock for top pp time on the left side as well. But we've seen errors made in the past.

Yeah, I think Jake is a definite lock barring the (and I won't specify it) "unexpected". People shouldn't underestimate Sanheim either. He skates well for his size (6'3"), is fantastic on the point on the PP, and is just a very reliable player. He doesn't shoot a ton from that point but is adept at setting up teammates and is even good at holding the puck in the zone. There were numerous times in the games I watched where he was able to keep a puck from going offside keeping the o-zone pressure alive. An underrated trait to have. I would be surprised to see him not on the team.

Way higher ceiling than perry???

Not from what I've seen, though it's a small sample size. It's not so much a knock on Virtanen as much as it's a testament to the accomplishments of Corey Perry. I don't know how fair it is to anyone to compare a great junior scorer with a perennial 40-goal candidate in the NHL. They both have an edge but Virtanen's physical dynamic is much more prominent.

I will say that Virtanen on the powerplay looks like a Stamkos/Ovechkin. He's on that left side and has that absolute bomb of a shot that his unit tries to set up. Now, remember, that's just a "comparable" and not a "projection".

• Upvote 2

"He is also good at receiving checks, maybe an underrated trait, with the checker sometimes being the one to fall when trying to hit Virtanen."

At about 9:57 Jake goes to the boards for the puck, man comes in to body him against the boards, Jake pushes him off and guy goes to the ice, Jake continues on.

Edited by swift4grizz

Way more physical and to be honest, way higher ceiling.

Im going to get a Virtanen jersey and I love the way this kid plays. He's going to be a star in this city one day. I don't know if I agree with him having a higher ceiling then perry though.. I just think they have a lot if the same attributes aside from jake being faster. God I hope he turns out to be better though but Perry won the Richard and the hart those are big shoes to fill.
  • Upvote 1

Way more physical and to be honest, way higher ceiling.

Im going to get a Virtanen jersey and I love the way this kid plays. He's going to be a star in this city one day. I don't know if I agree with him having a higher ceiling then perry though.. I just think they have a lot if the same attributes aside from jake being faster. God I hope he turns out to be better though but Perry won the Richard and the hart those are big shoes to fill.

I don't understand how some people would want ehlers over jake. Ehlers is loaded with skill and speed but jake has those same attributes but is a beast physically. Plus the whl seems more like an nhl simulation then the Quebec league. I guess the world juniors will hopefully help prove we made the right choice with virtanen over ehlers, nylander and Ritchie.

Edited by messier's_elbow