The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

First off, Jake spent all summer rehabbing his shoulder. Second, on a ton of HItmen goals, you see Jake celebrating with his teammates. He's racking up pluses at an insane rate, even if he isn't getting an assist on all those plays. A big reason for this is because he seems to have been tasked with playing point on the PP and stays extremely high after his team enters the zone. His defensive play is getting surprisingly good surprisingly quickly as a result and it allows Tambellini et al to get deep in the offensive zone without fear of being caught the other way. Since the Hitmen have 30 GF and 1 GA in their last 4 games, clearly it's working.

So how is Jake doing with this more defensive deployment? Check out the points/60 on the right side of this CHLstats screenshot:

Jan312015.jpg

That's just ridiculous.

Leaving Leon and Sam in the dust in Points per 60 min.

eP/60 is pretty skewed at the junior level because top guys (Reinhart, Draisaitl) play literally all situations - EX:

• Horvat was only 35th in eP/60 but 18th in PPG in OHL last year (McCann was 42nd/way down in PPG)
  • Cassels (who is lighting it up) is only 41st in eP/60 but is 10th in PPG (McCann is 21st/19th)
  • Both Reinhart and Draisaitl are 2-way players in junior (like Cassels, Horvat and McCann - lower in eP/60) and are not just expected to put up points (like Bjorkstrand, McDavid, Marner - high in eP/60).

So it's great that Virtanen is producing well with limited minutes, but I do wish that he could take that next step and become a go-to guy on Calgary that plays all situations. Playing limited minutes actually inflates his eP/60 IMO - I'm guessing his ability to score on the rush contributes to that even more (ends the shift pretty quickly if you score on a rush rather than gain zone time and cycle before scoring a goal).

Of course, nothing wrong with that - he's also 23rd in PPG so that's pretty good too.

I think a better way to look at Jake's year so far is that, if you compare from last season, where he doesn't even finish close in neither eP/60 nor PPG (like I mean well outside to a point where I don't even want to count down my screen), there is a HUGE improvement in his production. Same with our other 1st rounder Jared McCann.

Edited by Dasein
  • Upvote 1

eP/60 is pretty skewed at the junior level because top guys (Reinhart, Draisaitl) play literally all situations - EX:

• Horvat was only 35th in eP/60 but 18th in PPG in OHL last year (McCann was 42nd/way down in PPG)
  • Cassels (who is lighting it up) is only 41st in eP/60 but is 10th in PPG (McCann is 21st/19th)
  • Both Reinhart and Draisaitl are 2-way players in junior (like Cassels, Horvat and McCann - lower in eP/60) and are not just expected to put up points (like Bjorkstrand, McDavid, Marner - high in eP/60).

So it's great that Virtanen is producing well with limited minutes, but I do wish that he could take that next step and become a go-to guy on Calgary that plays all situations. Playing limited minutes actually inflates his eP/60 IMO - I'm guessing his ability to score on the rush contributes to that even more (ends the shift pretty quickly if you score on a rush rather than gain zone time and cycle before scoring a goal).

Of course, nothing wrong with that - he's also 23rd in PPG so that's pretty good too.

I think a better way to look at Jake's year so far is that, if you compare from last season, where he doesn't even finish close in neither eP/60 nor PPG (like I mean well outside to a point where I don't even want to count down my screen), there is a HUGE improvement in his production. Same with our other 1st rounder Jared McCann.

Good post.

Almost everything thing, if not, everything, I agree with you. It's only a matter of time before he takes that job away from Rankin, and Tambellini once they close out their respective junior careers after this year. I'd be glad if Virtanen made the club next year, however, one more year in Calgary would be so beneficial for him when taking that NEXT step in your development you were on about. And that's being a trustworthy, go-to guy that carries the load-work. He's going to have an increased role next year if he sticks around there. He won't be an overager next year too and so all of that "he's an overager, he's playing against kids" BS comments can go choke somewhere else.

So far so good :)

• Upvote 4

Good post.

Almost everything thing, if not, everything, I agree with you. It's only a matter of time before he takes that job away from Rankin, and Tambellini once they close out their respective junior careers after this year. I'd be glad if Virtanen made the club next year, however, one more year in Calgary would be so beneficial for him when taking that NEXT step in your development you were on about. And that's being a trustworthy, go-to guy that carries the load-work. He's going to have an increased role next year if he sticks around there. He won't be an overager next year too and so all of that "he's an overager, he's playing against kids" BS comments can go choke somewhere else.

So far so good :)

Well said, +1

Lmao.

• Upvote 1

May somebody please explain this eP/60 stat to me?

Regardless of what it is though, seeing him ahead of other elite prospects in dub like Bjorkstrand, Draisaitl, and Reinhart is nothing to look past.

Something about his performance at the World Juniors and play in Calgary since then has tickled my fancy. He's seemed to be taking a huge leap forward in development lately.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

May somebody please explain this eP/60 stat to me?

Regardless of what it is though, seeing him ahead of other elite prospects in dub like Bjorkstrand, Draisaitl, and Reinhart is nothing to look past.

Something about his performance at the World Juniors and play in Calgary since then has tickled my fancy. He's seemed to be taking a huge leap forward in development lately.

It is estimated points per 60.

I really question Oilers management with the Draisatl glamour. Yes, I think he was the right pick... but they proclaimed him as this Anze Kopitar type player, and apparentl he was #1 or tied #1 (ekblad) on their draft list. They were pushing him having a pro-game, but to me he looks far from that at the moment.

And on Virtanen, his production for me was never the issue. It's just about rounding out his game more so he doesn't look like a deer in the headlights. Less head down, more head up. The goals he's scoring are incredible, but he, like Draisatl would be best off developing in the AHL instead of the fast-track to the NHL - for opposite reasons. Draisatl for a big guy is terrible on the boards. He looks soft to me. Virtanen just needs to show the ability to slow the game down before he comes to the NHL. If he can just add that NHL level poise.. his game will be so much better for it. Having the ability to be the fastest guy on the ice while being able to slow the game down is what will propel Jake to a higher level.

Right now he reminds me a lot of Chris Kreider, but Kreider is extremely frustrating to watch himself - although I'm a fan.

Edited by Tom Sestito
  • Upvote 1

I really question Oilers management with the Draisatl glamour. Yes, I think he was the right pick... but they proclaimed him as this Anze Kopitar type player, and apparentl he was #1 or tied #1 (ekblad) on their draft list. They were pushing him having a pro-game, but to me he looks far from that at the moment.

And on Virtanen, his production for me was never the issue. It's just about rounding out his game more so he doesn't look like a deer in the headlights. Less head down, more head up. The goals he's scoring are incredible, but he, like Draisatl would be best off developing in the AHL instead of the fast-track to the NHL - for opposite reasons. Draisatl for a big guy is terrible on the boards. He looks soft to me. Virtanen just needs to show the ability to slow the game down before he comes to the NHL. If he can just add that NHL level poise.. his game will be so much better for it. Having the ability to be the fastest guy on the ice while being able to slow the game down is what will propel Jake to a higher level.

Right now he reminds me a lot of Chris Kreider, but Kreider is extremely frustrating to watch himself - although I'm a fan.

Draisatl got sent back to the WHL... He is now playing with the Kelowna Rockets and lighting it up.

I like Draisaitl a lot, and was one of my favourites outside of Ekblad and Reinhart. If Draisaitl had made it to 6th, I would have had no issue picking him and then using the second 1st rounder on someone like Pastrnak (who I also liked later in that round but didn't think he'd be so effective so soon considering his size).

I like Virtanen too, I just wondered if he was the right pick for us given the draft position and team need. He and McCann do give a bit more of an edge, but the combination I mentioned previous would look pretty great in hindsight as well.