The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

His father is Finnish. Not interested in seeing him go to Euroland. In some ways I thought Jensen's year there was a waste. Give him a Van tryout and then another year of junior and another WJC. A lot of negatives in sending a 19 year old overseas.

As a 19 year old the Canucks can keep close tabs on him and counsel his development.

Edited by Boudrias

will not fulfil that dare.

Pretty obvious.

Most people here are married. Kind of weird you know, ...

I mean, why Usher, of all celebrities..

Edited by TheOddCanuckling

Does Virtanen not have dual citizenship in Europe, Demark I believe?

Can we send him to The SEL or Finnish league?

As I've said every time it's been suggested (and it's been suggested for any of our top prospects stuck between NHL and junior) is that while it's possible, the Jensen situation was a one off where the transfer agreements between North America and Europe had expired and we took advantage. What would normally happen is if any player wanted to go play in Europe because they were too good for junior but not good enough for the NHL, the European team they go to would have to pay a transfer fee to the junior team for their loss. Generally it's not worth it for the European team so it very rarely happens.

It's very unlikely to happen again for almost any prospect unless we see that same situation crop up again where the transfer fees aren't applicable.

As I've said every time it's been suggested (and it's been suggested for any of our top prospects stuck between NHL and junior) is that while it's possible, the Jensen situation was a one off where the transfer agreements between North America and Europe had expired and we took advantage. What would normally happen is if any player wanted to go play in Europe because they were too good for junior but not good enough for the NHL, the European team they go to would have to pay a transfer fee to the junior team for their loss. Generally it's not worth it for the European team so it very rarely happens.

It's very unlikely to happen again for almost any prospect unless we see that same situation crop up again where the transfer fees aren't applicable.

That answer make sense, thank you.

I asked because there has been a buzz in some of the scouting reports that the players who made their teams at a young age in Europe were often, in fact, very special. See Barkov, debate about Nylander (not trying to drum up controversy except as it relates to Euro leagues), most recently Klingburg...

Does Virtanen not have dual citizenship in Europe, Demark I believe?

Can we send him to The SEL or Finnish league?

Am I wrong in thinking that the current agreement between the NHL and CHL requires that where a player is drafted from a CHL team, then if he doesn't stick with the NHL team in any season he must be returned to his CHL team unless he's already completed 4 years in the CHL or will be 20 years of age by December 31 of the season in question?

That was my understanding of the agreement and it would preclude the Canucks from sending Virtanen to Europe.

Who do you guys think is going to be the best goal scorer out of the 2014 draft. I think its going to be between Virtanen and Dal Colle but Milano, Tuch, Ho-sang seem like solid snipers as well.

McCann could be a darkhorse, has a pretty good offensive game from what Ive seen, he was ranked 11th before falling to 24

Who do you guys think is going to be the best goal scorer out of the 2014 draft. I think its going to be between Virtanen and Dal Colle but Milano, Tuch, Ho-sang seem like solid snipers as well.

Tough call, of course I want to root for the home town boy.

Although, I could see Fabbri putting up 30 goal seasons.