The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

What does everyone think about Max Pacioretty as a comparable for Virtanen? Both have similar size, great skating ability and laser like release on their shots. I think Virtanen will end up being a more physical player than Pacioretty, but I would love to see Virtanen end up being a 35+ goal scorer like Pacioretty.

Not a bad comparison really.

Also, some people seem to think that Jeff Carter is a lazy comparison, but really, in a lot of respects, he's not. Both are big guys, have boatloads of speed, and have a cannon of a shot. Another thing I notice that they both do, which makes them pretty much resemble a mirror image of one another, is that when they both go streaking into the o-zone, they like to skate in all the way towards the end boards and take it around the net. I think it's a pretty nifty tactic, because it gives them many options, and it fits their uptempo style of play perfectly. They can either wrap it around in an instant, throw it in front of the net to someone crashing the crease, or to simply slow the play down and wait for more troops to help create a scoring opportunity.

But of course, there are so many other more player comparisons:

Virtanen has Kreider's fearlessness when going to the net, strength, and skating toolbox.

Virtanen has Perry's meanness.

Virtanen, like Pacioretty, can really rip the puck from far out and create legitimate scoring chances.

If he hits the highest ceiling of each of these players, in terms of their qualities in which I compared to the ones included in Virtanen's game, then HOLY HELL, we have ourselves one special player. Even if he doesn't fulfill every single one of those qualities to his peak potential, that's still one heck of an impact player.

Really, Virtanen is his own player. I truly believe that. He just has various skillets and tendencies that resemble those of other players. But imagine a guy that scores at Pacioretty's clip, plays with Perry's nastiness, and stylistically compares to guys like Nash, Carter, Kreider, and heck, in some ways Getzlaf. That could be Virtanen, honestly. Exciting stuff, really!

edit: spelling

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Upvote 1

Virtanen and Carter comparison is definitely the best one I've heard. The Nash and Pacioretty comparisons are also good too. But Carter is the really the best comparison in my eyes.

They both play the same, rugged, fast paced game with an extra knack for aggressiveness. I always loved Carter, hope Virtanen becomes our Carter. I'd take that any day of the week.

It's a thing to behold. Skates like Gartner, hits like Stevens, shoots like LeClair.

He is still a boy and has 2 years of growing. The biggest detriment may be his temper. He has that Finnish temper like Ruutu had. May take some retaliatory penalties.

it's insane he's the only player in the tournament that can resverse a soon to happen body check and turn it into the other getting body checked. He's bouncing bodies off of him like no mans business. Love this pick. I don't care if Ehlers or Nylander becomes a a top line winger. They need to outscore Virtannen by at least 20 points to be "better" based on what Virtannen brings outside of putting up points.

After working his way back last fall from shoulder surgery, Virtanen wants to use his strong world junior tournament with Team Canada to launch a huge second half in the Western Hockey League. Is it outrageous to think we might even see Virtanen in Vancouver this season after the Calgary Hitmen finish playing?

(Linden) I don’t think it’s outrageous, but it’s probably unlikely. We’ll see how things go. From week to week and month to month, things change. We don’t know where we’ll be at the end of the year.

He said Unlikely... I would guess AHL is more likely if Calgary is knocked out early. But still.... Would be awesome to see Virtanen join the Canucks for even 1 game
Mathias Virt Hansen or maybe even Vey in the mix. Lots of speed

After working his way back last fall from shoulder surgery, Virtanen wants to use his strong world junior tournament with Team Canada to launch a huge second half in the Western Hockey League. Is it outrageous to think we might even see Virtanen in Vancouver this season after the Calgary Hitmen finish playing?

(Linden) I don’t think it’s outrageous, but it’s probably unlikely. We’ll see how things go. From week to week and month to month, things change. We don’t know where we’ll be at the end of the year.

He said Unlikely... I would guess AHL is more likely if Calgary is knocked out early. But still.... Would be awesome to see Virtanen join the Canucks for even 1 game

Speaking of Carter, he played 15 games in the playoffs for the Flyers in the 03/04 season, after being selected in the famous summer of '03 draft.

Crazy how things could shape up, eh? ;)

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

I don't think I saw him get knocked over once during the entire tournament.

He was lined up a couple times and I thought he was going to get lit up, but then Jake sends the guy flying through the air and land six feet away from him.

Didn't happen often but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iXkC7d9D_k

@1:36

He was lined up a couple times and I thought he was going to get lit up, but then Jake sends the guy flying through the air and land six feet away from him.

If my memory serves me correctly, there was definitely at least one time, but that still doesn't take away from what you said.

Still VERY impressive.

IMO, it wouldn't be worth it. If he plays poorly, there's going to be a large segment of Canucks fans disappointed...if he plays well, unrealistic expectations will be formed.

Best thing for Virtanen's development is to let him play out his season in the dub. I wouldn't even send him to Utica.

It will be Jordan Schroeder all over again...Schroeder ripped it up for 11 games after his final college season for the Moose. Then everyone was disappointed in him that he didn't do the same the following season. Same thing happened to Sven Baertschi with Calgary. Kid is barely effective now.

Virtanen's dad looked around 6'3. Jake still looks baby faced so maybe he can grow a bit.

Well Shinkaruk's dad looks around 6'1" and Hunter was definitely baby faced as well, but you are right - we can't rule out the possibility that Virtanen still has some growing to do.

The thing with Jake, and what his brother laughs about, is that it's when guys get ready to hit him that they go flying. Jake's size is decent but it's the force he delivers from momentum and use of timed leverage that bowls guys over, not brute strength.

I know - that's why I mentioned "reverse-hits" in my post, but it won't happen as frequently as it does in junior. My point is that he'll still be a physical player but he won't be as dominant against men as he is now with juniors.

What does everyone think about Max Pacioretty as a comparable for Virtanen? Both have similar size, great skating ability and laser like release on their shots. I think Virtanen will end up being a more physical player than Pacioretty, but I would love to see Virtanen end up being a 35+ goal scorer like Pacioretty.

Mmm I don't think Pac has the acceleration that Virtanen has, but Pac also has a little more vision IMO. I think it's a pretty fair comparison - if Jake could improve his on-ice vision with experience, then he could be a Pac 2.0 because he has that separation speed (acceleration) in his first couple strides that Pac doesn't (and will probably never have).

As is fairly well-known Jake Virtanen was the top-rated junior in last years CHL draft prospects combine for on-ice skills, including being the fastest skater (forwards and backwards). Ehlers was second. See http://www.bmotopprospects.ca/article/chl-stars-rise-to-challenge-in-top-prospects-combine.

This year the top rated player for on-ice skills was Connor McDavid. (I think I have heard of him before. ) Mitch Marner was second. (He currently leads the OHL is scoring with 93 points in 45 games.) http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/chl-s-top-prospects-rise-to-challenge-in-sport-testing-combine.

Two years ago the top rated player was Nathan MacKinnon.

So Jake is in good company. As I have said before, as Virtanen is almost certainly the best skater in the WHL (including speed, balance, stability and agility), and has one of the best shots in the WHL (and maybe the best shot for a forward) and has good size, excellent intensity, and good puck handling skills (according to tests) he should actually be doing better than he is this season. I take the point that it took him a while to recover from surgery, and that he missed lot of the WHL season at the World Juniors (where he had a solid but not exceptional performance) and that the Hitmen coaching staff has usually not played him on the first line.

And it also seems like the Hitmen are a much better team when Virtanen plays.

But I am hoping for a stronger strong second half of the WHL season. He should be averaging maybe 1.5 PPG instead of hovering around 1 PPG (where he was last year.)

Edited by JamesB
  • Upvote 2

As is fairly well-known Jake Virtanen was the top-rated junior in last years CHL draft prospects combine for on-ice skills, including being the fastest skater (forwards and backwards). Ehlers was second. See http://www.bmotopprospects.ca/article/chl-stars-rise-to-challenge-in-top-prospects-combine.

This year the top rated player for on-ice skills was Connor McDavid. (I think I have heard of him before. ) Mitch Marner was second. (He currently leads the OHL is scoring with 93 points in 45 games.) http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/chl-s-top-prospects-rise-to-challenge-in-sport-testing-combine.

Two years ago the top rated player was Nathan MacKinnon.

So Jake is in good company. As I have said before, as Virtanen is almost certainly the best skater in the WHL (including speed, balance, stability and agility), and has one of the best shots in the WHL (and maybe the best shot for a forward) and has good size, excellent intensity, and good puck handling skills (according to tests) he should actually be doing better than he is this season. I take the point that it took him a while to recover from surgery, and that he missed lot of the WHL season at the World Juniors (where he had a solid but not exceptional performance) and that the Hitmen coaching staff has usually not played him on the first line.

And it also seems like the Hitmen are a much better team when Virtanen plays.

But I am hoping for a stronger strong second half of the WHL season. He should be averaging maybe 1.5 PPG instead of hovering around 1 PPG (where he was last year.)

Just like Horvat, who made the big club at 19.

He got stood up at the blueline one time and went to the ice.

That Ruskie musta had kryptonite.

The Russian player is quite a bit bigger than him too if I remembered correctly.

He was about the same height but 20lbs lighter. Was funny though, as a few minutes earlier he was in a scrum trying to mix things up, then during play he sees Virtanen coming so he lowers the shoulder to angle into him and... Kosmonaut in orbit!

hope benning pulls a trade out of his butt that gets us a first rounder in the bottom 14

richardson, higgins, kassian, mattias, weber, sbisa, one of the swedish goalies are 7 pieces we need to package for pics

even if we have a 1 percent chance to get mcdavid :) a line of shinkaruk mcdavid virtanen. would be insane

shinkaruk mcdavid virtanen

jensen sedin vrbata

sedin horvat burrows

dorsett bonino hansen

kenins/gaunce

would be a sick lineup fast young and vets with secondary support

hope benning pulls a trade out of his butt that gets us a first rounder in the bottom 14

richardson, higgins, kassian, mattias, weber, sbisa, one of the swedish goalies are 7 pieces we need to package for pics

even if we have a 1 percent chance to get mcdavid :) a line of shinkaruk mcdavid virtanen. would be insane

shinkaruk mcdavid virtanen

jensen sedin vrbata

sedin horvat burrows

dorsett bonino hansen

kenins/gaunce

would be a sick lineup fast young and vets with secondary support

That would be a sick lineup in NHL 2015.