The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

This might be a silly question, but is it possible for Benning and Linden to pressure the Hitman Management to trade Jake if they passionately are unhappy with the way he's being trained/developed/utilized by them? I honestly don;t know..

Thanks to whomever answers!

Yeah. Probably not.

This might be a silly question, but is it possible for Benning and Linden to pressure the Hitman Management to trade Jake if they passionately are unhappy with the way he's being trained/developed/utilized by them? I honestly don;t know..

They have no pressure to exert.

they wouldn't do such thing. Telling a Junior team how to do their job?? ?no... for sure Benning also has full control over Utica.

The Hitmen have been dominant lately. Last night they out-shot PG 53-22. Jake is on the scoreboard fairly regularly.

What exactly is the problem again?

edit: Nah, I didn't expect anyone here to answer that. It's going to be a non-issue when Jake makes the Canucks next season anyway.

Edited by BanTSN
  • Upvote 1

Looks like he was taken off the 1st unit powerplay as well.

His goal total for the year has been a little disappointing, considering the pace he scored at last year. Even if he stays at his 1.2PPG, I'd hope for him to start putting the puck in the net on a more regular basis. Being a playmaker and using your teammates is good, but we drafted him to go hard and score goals. He has a rocket of a shot, he should have a shoot first mentality and pass second.

Everyone is screaming for him to round out his game, but that doesn't mean you get away from your strengths. He has passing ability, but from the highlights (these opinions are only based on those), he's passing off more times than not.

• Upvote 1

They have no pressure to exert.

they could do what deadmonton did with draisaitl, and threaten to keep him in the NHL if they don't trade him. meaning he'd be gone from their team next season regardless and they might as well get something in return. But I highly doubt they'd do that.

Edited by avelanch

Looks like he was taken off the 1st unit powerplay as well.

His goal total for the year has been a little disappointing, considering the pace he scored at last year. Even if he stays at his 1.2PPG, I'd hope for him to start putting the puck in the net on a more regular basis. Being a playmaker and using your teammates is good, but we drafted him to go hard and score goals. He has a rocket of a shot, he should have a shoot first mentality and pass second.

Everyone is screaming for him to round out his game, but that doesn't mean you get away from your strengths. He has passing ability, but from the highlights (these opinions are only based on those), he's passing off more times than not.

Very well put. I see Virtanen having chemistry with the likes of McCann. Both are excellent skaters with a lethal shot.

• Upvote 1

Yea they can technically. Edmonton did it with their rookie.

The trick is to take him out of WHL and play him with the Nucks until they are forced to trade him to a better team. Canucks have his rights and can call him up if they want.

They can't call him up they can only keep him. And they'll only do that if they feel it's better for him in the NHL rather than on a junior squad they don't like.

If it's a bluff and Calgary calls them on it then they'll be forced to keep him for the year.

If he's ready they'll keep him anyway. If he's not then they not only have to carry him on the roster but lose a year of his ELC. That's a dangerous game to play.

• Upvote 1

They can't call him up they can only keep him. And they'll only do that if they feel it's better for him in the NHL rather than on a junior squad they don't like.

If it's a bluff and Calgary calls them on it then they'll be forced to keep him for the year.

If he's ready they'll keep him anyway. If he's not then they not only have to carry him on the roster but lose a year of his ELC. That's a dangerous game to play.

what are you talking about in the proposed situation the hitmen either lose him for nothing or get a nice haul for him in a trade

You will lose an year of ELC, but if I recall correctly, there is a different game limit for losing an year of RFA.

It is a risk, but like I said, if the situation is bad enough, you can do it and Edmonton did it with Leon. The junior team eventually pulled the trigger and traded him to Kelowna, so Edmonton sent him down again.

Edited by unknown33429

what are you talking about in the proposed situation the hitmen either lose him for nothing or get a nice haul for him in a trade

I'm saying I think there is no chance that the Canucks get involved in that ploy.

If he's ready he stays with the big club. If he's not they'll send him back.

I think they might ask for him to get moved but they won't hold a gun to Calgary's head.

You will lose an year of ELC, but if I recall correctly, there is a different game limit for losing an year of RFA.

It is a risk, but like I said, if the situation is bad enough, you can do it and Edmonton did it with Leon. The junior team eventually pulled the trigger and traded him to Kelowna, so Edmonton sent him down again.

It was a bush league move. Edmonton style. Was it to Leon's benefit? I'm dubious.

Nothing about our management leads me to believe they employ the same tactics.

It was a bush league move. Edmonton style. Was it to Leon's benefit? I'm dubious.

Nothing about our management leads me to believe they employ the same tactics.

Apparently, the junior team was absolutely garbage, and it really would've set Leon back. I don't know the specifics, but that's just what I heard on the radio. The junior team has been terrible for some players' development in the past.