The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 minutes ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Would you have him as a better prospect than Demko and McCann? Hell even shinkaruk is only a smidge behind

As a potential power forward, I don't see us having anyone even close to him.  Heck, he might be the only true PW with that speed and natural meanness in any team's prospect pool.  It takes guys, who are going to play his game, several years to develop.  I agree with you, that JV needs to be in the A for at least one season.  With Jake, we see small samples of his ability to effect a game.  As he matures, we will see those become more and more frequent.  It's not about points.  It's about the impact on the game.  JV, in time, will impact each game in a very positive way.  We just shouldn't expect the next Bertuzzi.  Todd had a very rare set of mitts and great vision too, for a guy with his size and meanness.

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

As a potential power forward, I don't see us having anyone even close to him.  Heck, he might be the only true PW with that speed and natural meanness in any team's prospect pool.  It takes guys, who are going to play his game, several years to develop.  I agree with you, that JV needs to be in the A for at least one season.  With Jake, we see small samples of his ability to effect a game.  As he matures, we will see those become more and more frequent.  It's not about points.  It's about the impact on the game.  JV, in time, will impact each game in a very positive way.  We just shouldn't expect the next Bertuzzi.  Todd had a very rare set of mitts and great vision too, for a guy with his size and meanness.

Yeah, those guys don't come along often. Since Bertuzzi's emergence in the early 2000's, I would put only Jamie Benn as a player that is of similar level/type as Bertuzzi.

I don't feel that JV will turn into Bertuzzi either. But I think he will be a good player with 30 goal potential once he learns the right way to play.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Next year in Utica and I expect him to be about at about .25 PPG pace in his first year in the minors

he might have a good second year in Utica 

if he ever makes an impact it likely won't be till 22-23. He's been passed on the depth chart of prospects which is unfortunate seeing as it's not all that deep.

You're going to be disappointed when you're watching the Vancouver Comets playing next year. 

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Who is that number 18 guy out there?  Anybody know?

He's playing more freely.  Skating, pursuing, and banging bodies.  Why don't we play him more with the Twins since Hansen is out?  I don't know if Burr can really keep up any more?  

1 hour ago, Tavrohorvat53 said:

Looks as if he's fighting for a job finally

Yeah. I think he just needs time. 

I heard him in an interview the other day on TSN1040, where he was saying when he was drafted as a 16 year old into the WHL, he struggled as well, and it took some time before he got used to the pace, and the league. He said it was the same thing with his transition into the NHL. I also believe that once he gets used to the pace, and the league, he's going to be a dangerous player. Hey, he's a Canuck. And we're Canuck fans, let's root for the kid. He will undoubtedly have some poor games coming up, so don't people have unrealistic expectation of the kid. Let him be! 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Just started watching, Jake is looking 'real good' in the first. 

Can't wait to see him and Etem playing in the same game. 

Not watching the game. How's his game in the 2nd and 3rd periods?