The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

I will start my own radio show so somebody can finally start dropping some real knowledge on all of you 

I love how everyone complains about the station but I guarantee most of you dropped in to listen at some point or another.  How many of you sent any e-mails/texts regarding how much of a joke you really think they are?

You know what they say; "any press is good press".  I bet their view count was at an all time high today

I dont listen to them anymore nor have I ever contacted them.

There are exceptions to that rule.

Like Bill Cosby I dont think the press hes getting is good. Trump an example of I dont even know he has an abundant amount of ridiculous negative press out there but I dont know if its helping him or not cause he does have a following..

Life is confusing :frantic:

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I will start my own radio show so somebody can finally start dropping some real knowledge on all of you 

I love how everyone complains about the station but I guarantee most of you dropped in to listen at some point or another.  How many of you sent any e-mails/texts regarding how much of a joke you really think they are?

You know what they say; "any press is good press".  I bet their view count was at an all time high today

3 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Indeed, much as those trolling love attention, talking heads attempt to create the same controversy by constantly spewing nonsense.

Much as your commentary here, people are entertained when they see a monkey throwing poo...as silly and stupid as it is, there is always something quite funny about it

1 minute ago, The 5th Line said:

I will start my own radio show so somebody can finally start dropping some real knowledge on all of you fools.

I love how everyone complains about the station but I guarantee all of you dropped in to listen at some point or another.  How many of you sent any e-mails/texts regarding how much of a joke you really think they are?

Again, you are too funny.  you may not be the brightest bulb on the tree, but I'd definately be foolish enough to listen to your show.  

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Regardless, the station is becoming a complete joke.  Brother Jake discussing sports is like Kim Kardashian discussing nuclear physics. 

Don't even get me started. lol. I've expressed my feelings about some of their "talent".

Pratt is probably the most annoying for me, he's just a blowhard who looks for attention and he's lazy. Bro Jake doesn't know much about sports but he's much better than when he started. He keeps it light at 6AM. I don't mind him because of the time slot. 

I just switch to 1410 when 1040 is talking about anything other than hockey. 1410 has a great lineup and top end shows. Mike and Mike are good in the morning, Rome starts after that, then you get Dan Patrick ank Rich Eisen. By then my day is done and it's time to go home.

I do enjoy Moj and Taylor. Barry Mac's descent, he's knowledgable on baseball and Moj on football. The show is better with all 3 of them on. BMac's battled some demons recently so I like to see he's doing well and working. 

I pretty much go back and forth all day.  

Edited by WHL rocks

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Don't even get me started. lol. I've expressed my feelings about some of their "talent".

Pratt is probably the most annoying for me, he's just a blowhard who looks for attention and he's lazy. Bro Jake doesn't know much about sports but he's much better than when he started. He keeps it light at 6AM. I don't mind him because of the time slot. 

I just switch to 1410 when 1040 is talking about anything other than hockey. 1410 has a great lineup and top end shows. Mike and Mike are good in the morning, Rome starts after that, then you get Dan Patrick ank Rich Eisen. By then my day is done and it's time to go home.

I do enjoy Moj and Taylor. Barry Mac descent. He's battled some demons recently so I like to see he's doing well and working. 

I pretty much go back and forth all day. 

I agree on Pratt.  He's lazy, as evidenced by his being fired from the local paper for plagiarism.  i personally spend time listening to tsn 1050 from TO, simply because they have actual athletes talking sports.  I enjoy Mike and Mike very much.  The host accepts he's not an athlete and always defers to Golic for the athlete's point of view.  

20 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I heard an interview with JB in the last couple of days where he was asked about this, and he said he's more worried about developing Jake's offence than he is about his defense and so not have him worry about his defense so much. 

I'll assume he's told this to Uncle Willy so I think we'll see him get a few more minutes. Will be really interesting to see how Uncle Willy will deal with it.

Well if JB said that, then he and WD are basically parroting each other. http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=804&id=443912&lang=en&_ga=1.75384018.1564935104.144960776

WD talks for 3 1/2  minutes about JV and says the same thing exactly, so it looks like they're on the same page.

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

On the other hand, the AHL is a development league that employs more of a college/chl hybrid style sched giving the prospects a chance to practice and train more than they do playing in the NHL.  We might see both McCaan and Jake see less games and more practice and training.  That's better than tons of games and tons of ice in the chl, imo.

It's still very up in the air from WD's comments, but it sounds like it's going to be up to him. The kid is going to be all kind of fired up to get back into the lineup and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of his first body checks.

But all he does is hit Derp!

1 hour ago, canuckledraggin said:

Well if JB said that, then he and WD are basically parroting each other. http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=804&id=443912&lang=en&_ga=1.75384018.1564935104.144960776

WD talks for 3 1/2  minutes about JV and says the same thing exactly, so it looks like they're on the same page.

It's still very up in the air from WD's comments, but it sounds like it's going to be up to him. The kid is going to be all kind of fired up to get back into the lineup and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of his first body checks.

But all he does is hit Derp!

I agree it's not a given he stays, and that was reinforced by JB tonight.  I do think it would the best thing for both he and Jared to stay up with a very specific plan for them both.

Hot topic this kid, Virtanen is. 

I think if Jake stays with the big club the rest of the year, WD needs to give him playing time. Cause he needs to learn. He needs to play. You don't draft a top 6 potential player, and then play him bottom six minutes. That's not how you develop young players properly. If he's going to be up in the NHL, then he'll need quality minutes. Make mistakes? Fine. Live with them. We ain't going anywhere this year, and if we make the playoffs, we're out in the first round - there's no way we go farther than the first round with our depleted defense. 

As for me. I say we keep him. He will be farther along because of his NHL experience. I believe he will come to camp and be in better shape with all of his experiences this year. I say, we'd give him a middle top 9 role come October 2016. Play him on the third line, and eventually, move him up.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think if Jake stays with the big club the rest of the year, WD needs to give him playing time. Cause he needs to learn. He needs to play. You don't draft a top 6 potential player, and then play him bottom six minutes. That's not how you develop young players properly. If he's going to be up in the NHL, then he'll need quality minutes. Make mistakes? Fine. Live with them. We ain't going anywhere this year, and if we make the playoffs, we're out in the first round - there's no way we go farther than the first round with our depleted defense. 

As for me. I say we keep him. He will be farther along because of his NHL experience. I believe he will come to camp and be in better shape with all of his experiences this year. I say, we'd give him a middle top 9 role come October 2016. Play him on the third line, and eventually, move him up.

I disagree, most young players start in the bottom 6 early on.  Horvat did.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Whether Virtanen stays in Vancouver or goes back to the WHL I leave to management. Not knowing the emotional makeup leaves to many unknowns for fans to know anything.

What shocked me were statements by both Benning and Desjardin that they would 'develop' plans for both Virtanen and McCann moving forward. Perhaps I misunderstood what they were trying to say. I would have thought that plans existed from training camp when they decided to keep them in Vancouver. I know that their physical training is closely monitored and assumed that their ice performance would have identified objectives as well. I will assume that their efforts to talk about rookie development was openly discussed to assuage fan concerns.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What shocked me were statements by both Benning and Desjardin that they would 'develop' plans for both Virtanen and McCann moving forward. 

I'm guessing he really meant "revise". Or at the very least, 'here's the plan moving forward from now'. I don't think for a second that they were simply sitting on their hands watching them with no guidance or plan since training camp.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I disagree, most young players start in the bottom 6 early on.  Horvat did.

Yeah. I understand that. But Horvat excelled defensively. He gained the coach's trust. 

I think you got to handle each and every prospect differently. 

Virtanen has been benched, it seems, every time he makes a mistake. Not sure that offers Jake confidence moving forward. If that's the case, then maybe it's best he goes back to Junior? 

5 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Benning on keeping Virtanen, "I would like to keep him and work him in so next year he's that much closer to being an impact player."

in before everyone complains

Getting the Royal treatment, hasn't earned a spot at all but gets one so they can hopefully turn him into a guy who earns a spot next year. Must be nice to be drafted 6th overall. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Benning on keeping Virtanen, "I would like to keep him and work him in so next year he's that much closer to being an impact player."

in before everyone complains

Benning is going to show him how to become a good hockey player by showing videos and keeping him as a project;whereas, in the juniors he will only get lots of ice time and have a actual chance to develop some hockeyiq, but Benning believes he can help with hockey iq.

The bottom line, Jake is going no where in the NHL with his hockey iq, he needs to learn to think the game better so whats Benning's plan? Honestly, he is suppose to be scouting for picks, or is he going to be a father figure for Virtanen lol seriously what's Benning's plan 

Edited by desiboynux4lifee*******
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

When he says "I would like to keep him" he means he wants him around Willie and the team...he doesn't literally mean he is going to work with Jake himself.  Relax

what's Willie going to do? look at what the heck they have turned McCann into. I have my doubts with Willie, when he has players with skill playing w Dorsett.

27 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

Benning is going to show him how to become a good hockey player by showing videos and keeping him as a project;whereas, in the juniors he will only get lots of ice time and have a actual chance to develop some hockeyiq, but Benning believes he can help with hockey iq.

The bottom line, Jake is going no where in the NHL with his hockey iq, he needs to learn to think the game better so whats Benning's plan? Honestly, he is suppose to be scouting for picks, or is he going to be a father figure for Virtanen lol seriously what's Benning's plan 

Well good thing for us you don't know jack about prospects or development. How can you say he's going nowhere in the NHL. In 3 years when he's a playoff beast you will eat your words. You don't have any patience. If he sucks in 3 years then you can complain. He's 19! 

• Upvote 1

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

Well good thing for us you don't know jack about prospects or development. How can you say he's going nowhere in the NHL. In 3 years when he's a playoff beast you will eat your words. You don't have any patience. If he sucks in 3 years then you can complain. He's 19! 

I have my early doubts about Benning and for good reason, that's all im saying lets see how he does on judgement day (trade deadline)